Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Ion Fury, a new Build Engine game out now.

From the demo I've played, you keep encountering dark-colored enemies in dark environments. And the enemies quickly shoot at you, even from far away, chipping away at your health. There's a lot of attrition. In Doom you can ballet around enemies, use them as meatchields etc. You can get out of a huge encounter without losing a single point of health.

And it is 100% certain it will have custom content since this is made in the Duke3D engine by some of the developers of the Duke3D engine and they are using the same tools. The community in the duke4.net forum will mod the game and release content for it.

On 10/25/2018 at 5:32 PM, VGA said:

From the demo I've played, you keep encountering dark-colored enemies in dark environments. And the enemies quickly shoot at you, even from far away, chipping away at your health. There's a lot of attrition. In Doom you can ballet around enemies, use them as meatchields etc. You can get out of a huge encounter without losing a single point of health.

A common problem in ALL Build engine games.

On 10/27/2018 at 5:27 AM, DooM_RO said:

A common problem in ALL Build engine games.

This sounds more like a problem with games insisting on hit-scanner enemies. Doom only has 4 (three humans and the spider) out of a roster of more than a dozen.

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

This sounds more like a problem with games insisting on hit-scanner enemies. Doom only has 4 (three humans and the spider) out of a roster of more than a dozen.

Yes, exactly. The secret is to make them fragile. Anything more than a Shotgun blast is too much. Imagine if the Sergeant took 2 Shotgun blasts to kill instead of one. Small changes like this have a profound impact on the gameplay.

3 hours ago, Eligos said:

This is a little off topic but I think it's something everyone will find interesting. 3D Realms posted a gif of the game they're developing in the Quake engine.

codename_mourningvale.gif.d6365d831e53cc7a9cc522ad4cc054aa.gif

I've got a feeling that we've already seen this game before. Although, A much earlier version.

7 hours ago, Eligos said:

This is a little off topic but I think it's something everyone will find interesting. 3D Realms posted a gif of the game they're developing in the Quake engine.

That looks sweet. Can't wait to see what else they have to show of it.

12 hours ago, Eligos said:

The weapon in this GIF looks similar to that melee weapon from Strife, hopefully we,ll see more screenshots or videos/GIFs sometime. :)

2 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

That shotgun is the first time I've personally thought voxels have actually looked good

Have you played Blood?!

2 hours ago, VGA said:

Have you played Blood?!

I turn it off for both Blood and Shadow Warrior.

Half the art being 2D and the other half being voxels isn't an appealing look to me. If all the assets were comprised of voxels I'd probably be into it, otherwise I think the 2D art looks 1000x better.

Well people were working on adding the missing voxels to Shadow Warrior back on the Duke4 forums.

And M210 was adding more voxels to his GDX Blood.

Edited by Avoozl

On 10/31/2018 at 9:30 AM, SonicWind said:

d0f3ef5d613dc2c6dff3fa815ae45b478a0ae7ea

I keep forgetting that that thing is a shotgun and not a grenade launcher.

Edited by KVELLER

17 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I think the same thing every time I play 

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

The design was probably inspired by the Riot Gun from the original Shadow Warrior me thinks, which might look more like a minigun rather than a grenade launcher in this case, but is in fact a semi-automatic/full auto shotgun.

The reason why it kind of looks like a grenade launcher is probably because it kind of is a grenade launcher - in the full game the alt fire will fire grenades after all.

2 hours ago, Agent6 said:

The design was probably inspired by the Riot Gun from the original Shadow Warrior me thinks, which might look more like a minigun rather than a grenade launcher in this case, but is in fact a semi-automatic/full auto shotgun.

Yeah, it did remind me of Shadow Warrior's Riot Gun, actually.

1 hour ago, Touchdown said:

The reason why it kind of looks like a grenade launcher is probably because it kind of is a grenade launcher - in the full game the alt fire will fire grenades after all.

Well, that partially explains it.

I managed to completely forget about this after pre-ordering last March or whatever.  Sad to check in and realise there's nothing new to play, yet.

15 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Does this game use a "true" 3D renderer or does it lack y-shearing?

It uses the eduke32 Polymost renderer, not the "classic" renderer. 

https://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Polymost

EDIT: The classic renderer is available as an option, just remembered. But the default is the OpenGL renderer, Polymost.

On 10/24/2018 at 6:27 AM, wheresthebeef said:

Seems weird that the team actually developing it, Voidpoint, aren't mentioned anywhere in the press release.

That's was 3DR's mistake...but it should be fixed now I think.

1 hour ago, VGA said:

It uses the eduke32 Polymost renderer, not the "classic" renderer. 

https://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Polymost

EDIT: The classic renderer is available as an option, just remembered. But the default is the OpenGL renderer, Polymost.

Polymost still have y-shearing.

And if someone think about Polymer...is out of the question, don't looking forward to it, even IM using EDuke32 engine, doesn't means will have Polymer renderer, unless Voidpoint found a way to optimize the Polymer renderer because it still runs like shit even with high-end computers.

38 minutes ago, Player Lin said:

even IM using EDuke32 engine, doesn't means will have Polymer renderer, unless Voidpoint found a way to optimize the Polymer renderer because it still runs like shit even with high-end computers.

Is that so? Hm, I have a mid range computer and eDuke32's Polymer render seems to work pretty well for me, in fact better than Polymost the last time I tried it.

I only really find issues with polymer on some custom maps, for an example I tried Anorak City and one part of the map there was a scene with something on fire with many flames and the lights emitted by them caused a lot of graphics lag when in the player view.

35 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

in fact better than Polymost the last time I tried it.

Correction, I actually tried Polymost again after writing this and apparently it runs really smooth now. Must've been an issue with the driver/eDuke32 build I used the last time I tried it. Polymost almost tanked my framerate on levels such as E3L1, but seems to be fine now.

If your polymost acting weird, first try to update your EDuke32 port, and then see if your graphic card works fine, proper driver installed or not using on integrated one, and make sure nothing ate your system resources when running EDuke32. :P

Yes, for official Duke3D levels, Polymer would works fine, but if you try something that will emitted a lot of lights like a lot of fire/lights/explosions or the map/level just so complicated(like Duke Nukem Eternity, it also have lot of lights/fires on its first few levels), then the polymer will choke and make your fps so low for sure, it just the renderer needed some optimizations, but lack of whoever capable to make it happen.

The city level in the IM preview episode also choke Polymer renderer so they just disabled Polymer from IM('s EDuke32) engine, due to its complicated structures(also various reasons like too many emitted lights and lack of maintainer), because of that, they focused on make Polymost better, since IM will needed it.

On 10/30/2018 at 7:23 PM, Eligos said:

On the website, it lists Fifth Elephant, Skacky and Muk (well known Quake community mappers) working on this.