Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mithrandir

What will happen when Doom3 comes out?

Will we all suddenly stop using the original Doom games? Will they fade in comparison? Will we forget them, neglect them to dusty corners of the hard-drive? What will happen to editing? Won't it be kinda hard making models an' stuff for the majority of people?

I don't think many people will be editing doom 1 or 2 after they played doom 3. But hey, who says doom 3 is going to be a great game? We'll see.

I don't want to learn a new editor. Doom's probably gonna be the last game I edit. If I ever do get the urge to make a map, it'll probably be for Doom, not anything else.

editing quake engine games is alot easier than doom. i cant do shit with a doom editor but u should see what i can in half-life, quake games, i will have a test level posted at my ftp in elbryans site. latly i have not really been working on maps but the test map is just showing things i can do and learning more things and how to do other things better

Well, I think that's going to be a mad scramble for the game. Then everyone will get used to idea of Doom3 actually being on thier hard-drives and will start to create WADs/mods for it. I think that Doom3 will be one of the top selling games of 2002/2003. Will it be good? Only time will tell.

I probably won't be able to find out how Doom 3 will be like because of video card minimum requirements. I attempted to run ZDoomGL and it worked, but the frame rate was between .5 and 1 per sec. It was awful, and not to mention disappointing.

editing quake engine games is alot easier than doom.

Uh... NO???

In all these years of playing add-on levels, I can safely say that, generally, the easier it is to edit a game level, the more it's likely to suck.

Take a look at many Duke Nukem 3D .maps and all you are going to see are 10 feet tall toilets in a street that has a red carpet instead of tarmac.

editing quake engine games is alot easier than doom.

Yeah right. Well, to put it this way, Doom editing takes more time when you have to do all these "special tricks" (like 3d bridges), and manual lighting is a pain, but the architecture modeling is easier in 2D than 3D. In a way it is the simplicity and limitations of the doom engine that makes it easier. The thing might be that few Doom editors can rival the excellency of WorldCraft. Many Doom editors are rather crappy, especially the newer ones.

Even though CSG modeling is a breeze, it is simply the wide array of possibilities that makes the whole thing complicated. Also, I somehow find texturing in WC way more tedious than in Doom editing.

AND I HATE THOSE 20 MINUTE COMPILE TIMES!!!

With every new popular FPS game level editing for it gets harder. This means a smaller set of people editing for a particular game, but it also generally means better levels being released. People who take the effort to learn Q3Radiant are generally serious about their stuff, take the time to learn their editor, and release what they think is good... It's not like six years ago, when every 11-year old that got its chubby little hands on a copy of DEU would bring out a collection of huge rooms stuffed with BFG's and Cyberdemons.

Making a good Duke3d map was harder than Doom. Making a good Quake2 map was harder than Duke3d. etc.

I expect the transition from Q3 editing to Doom3 editing to be quite hard, so I really can't imagine a lot of you Doom mappers making the switch. According to Fred Nilsson of id software, you'll need to spend loads more attention to the lighting of your maps (You can only have so many lights in one scene to get a decent framerate, and you have to use that budget wisely). Also, mapping is turning more and more into detailed modelling. My guess is a lot of the detailed stuff (like that lowering bridge in the MacWorld movie) will be .md5 models, imported into Doom.