Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MarketAnarchy

Names for collections of each monster type

Collection Names

You may have heard unusual names for a collection of animals. For example, a murder of ravens, a school of fish, etc. This thread is to discuss the appropriate names for Doom monsters when a collection of them is found.

01. Former Humans, aka Zombiemen: A peppering. E.g. I was fighting imps and cacodemons whilst my health kept slowly dropping from a peppering of zombiemen.

02. Former Sergeants, aka Shotgunners: A squad. E.g. I was at full health, but I fell into a trap and was destroyed by a squad of shotgunners.

03. Former Human Commandos, aka Chaingunners: A shredder. E.g. I was about to leave the level, but I died to a shredder of chaingunners.

04. Imps: An invasion. E.g. I had full ammo, then I was attacked by an invasion of imps.

05. Demons, aka Pinkies: A palette. E.g. I barely survived using my chainsaw to deal with a palette of pinkies.

06. Specters: A haunting. E.g. I was firing rockets into the mass of enemies when I hit myself due to a haunting of specters.

07. Lost Souls: A hiss. E.g. I was trying to navigate the platforming section when I was accosted by a hiss of lost souls.

08. Cacodemons: A cacophony. E.g. I was beating the Pale Monument when I was overwhelmed by a cacophony of cacodemons.

09. Hell Knights: A pack. E.g. After I pushed the button, several walls opened and I was greeted by the howl from a pack of hell knights.

10. Barons of Hell: A wasteland. E.g. In tricks and traps, a cyberdemon looked over a wasteland of barons.

11. Arachnotrons: A colony. E.g. The sewers were overflowing with a colony of arachnotrons.

12. Mancubodes: A blob. E.g. The stairway was filled with a blob of mancubodes.

13. Revenants: A clique. E.g. There is nothing more satisfying than destroying a clique of revenants with a well placed BFG.

14. Pain Elementals: A wrack. E.g. As I crossed the bridge, I was accosted by a wrack of pain elementals on either side.

15. Arch Viles: A blaze. E.g. I had killed the first wave of enemies, but most were brought back to life by a blaze of Arch Viles.

16. Spider Masterminds: A network. E.g. My armor was torn apart by a network of Masterminds.

17. Cyberdemons: A storm. E.g. Rockets came from every direction when I released a storm of Cyberdemons.

These are just a first attempt to name these groups, I invite you to contribute your own names so we can find the ones that are most fitting.

Robert

All varieties of zombiemen form a "squad" in small numbers, and an "army" in large ones."

Imps form a "group" in small numbers and a "horde" in large ones.

Pinkies and Spectres form a "pack" in small numbers and a "wall" in large ones.

Most other demons simply form "groups" and "hordes", like imps.

Airborne enemies form a "clump" in small numbers and a "cloud" in large ones.

Besides, it's Mancubi, not Mancubodes.

I think something pig-related should go for the mancubus given its representation of the Deadly Sin of gluttony. So for that one I'm going with drove. "Droves of mancubi attacked as the Doomguy entered the arena."

The group name for each kind of monster is a "nut" so a bunch of groups of different monsters would be "nuts".

On 11/19/2017 at 2:52 PM, MarketAnarchy said:

Mancubodes

It's "Mancubi", as already stated by TootsyBowl.

However, I am curious as to where that plural form for nouns ending in "-us" comes from...

I'd call a group of pinkies a "slaughter" personally. I'll think of more and get back to you later.

Edited by Skeletonpatch

A Suitepee of revenants. 

A goddamnit of pain elementals. 

A weightwatchers convention of mancubeaux. 

An infighting of spider masterminds.

A Zzul of cyberdemons.

21 hours ago, MarketAnarchy said:

Collection Names

You may have heard unusual names for a collection of animals. For example, a murder of ravens, a school of fish, etc. This thread is to discuss the appropriate names for Doom monsters when a collection of them is found.

01. Former Humans, aka Zombiemen: A peppering. E.g. I was fighting imps and cacodemons whilst my health kept slowly dropping from a peppering of zombiemen.

02. Former Sergeants, aka Shotgunners: A squad. E.g. I was at full health, but I fell into a trap and was destroyed by a squad of shotgunners.

03. Former Human Commandos, aka Chaingunners: A shredder. E.g. I was about to leave the level, but I died to a shredder of chaingunners.

04. Imps: An invasion. E.g. I had full ammo, then I was attacked by an invasion of imps.

05. Demons, aka Pinkies: A palette. E.g. I barely survived using my chainsaw to deal with a palette of pinkies.

06. Specters: A haunting. E.g. I was firing rockets into the mass of enemies when I hit myself due to a haunting of specters.

07. Lost Souls: A hiss. E.g. I was trying to navigate the platforming section when I was accosted by a hiss of lost souls.

08. Cacodemons: A cacophony. E.g. I was beating the Pale Monument when I was overwhelmed by a cacophony of cacodemons.

09. Hell Knights: A pack. E.g. After I pushed the button, several walls opened and I was greeted by the howl from a pack of hell knights.

10. Barons of Hell: A wasteland. E.g. In tricks and traps, a cyberdemon looked over a wasteland of barons.

11. Arachnotrons: A colony. E.g. The sewers were overflowing with a colony of arachnotrons.

12. Mancubodes: A blob. E.g. The stairway was filled with a blob of mancubodes.

13. Revenants: A clique. E.g. There is nothing more satisfying than destroying a clique of revenants with a well placed BFG.

14. Pain Elementals: A wrack. E.g. As I crossed the bridge, I was accosted by a wrack of pain elementals on either side.

15. Arch Viles: A blaze. E.g. I had killed the first wave of enemies, but most were brought back to life by a blaze of Arch Viles.

16. Spider Masterminds: A network. E.g. My armor was torn apart by a network of Masterminds.

17. Cyberdemons: A storm. E.g. Rockets came from every direction when I released a storm of Cyberdemons.

These are just a first attempt to name these groups, I invite you to contribute your own names so we can find the ones that are most fitting.

Robert

Hell Knights should be a Kingdom or a raid.

Eh, I might as well have a go at doing them all.

• A hedge of former humans (more resistant than air, less resistant than a wall, sometimes prickly).
  • A speed bump of shotgunners.
  • A gallery of chaingunners (because they more-or-less should be placed so that they're spread out, not behind each other, to prevent them from just evaporating).
  • A carpet of imps (imps are the best for carpetting because they're the smallest non-flying monster that won't fight amongst themselves).
  • A horde of demons sounds about right.
  • A fog of spectres.
  • A cloud of lost souls.
  • It has to be a swarm of cacodemons. But if swarm wasn't so established, something like passata/soup/broth would be good too.
  • An order of knights/barons, I guess.
  • A team of revenants (because they're blatantly wearing sports gear).
  • A barricade of mancubi/mancubus/mancubuses/whatever.
  • A traffic jam of arachnotrons.
  • A danne of pain elementals.
  • A why of archviles.
  • A tod of cyberdemons, obviously. Or possibly a herd, since they're cows.
  • A... whole bunch of spiderdemons (suggested usage: "wow, that's a whole bunch of spiderdemons").

Edit: dammit, zzul, you stole my idea.

A Gaggle of Imps

A Smattering of Zombies

A Rash of Pinkies

A Suspicion of Spectres

A Mess of Hell Knights

A Murder of Revenants

A Plague of Lost Souls

A Grievance of Pain Elementals

A Coven of Archviles

A Cauldron of Mancubi

An Oblige of Barons

An Anomaly of Arachnotrons

An Inquiry of Masterminds

A Fuckton of Cyberdemons

(Opps, forgot one...)

A Cackle of Cacodemons

Edited by Urthar

I prefer terms that depend on how many there are. A few for up to 4, several for less than 10, a pack for less than 20, lots for less than 50, hordes for less than a hundred, a throng for less than 250, a swarm for less than 500, zounds for less than 1000, and a legion above that.

But anyway.

• Zombies of all kinds are in hordes.
  • Low-level fiends, such as imps, pinkies, spectres, and lost souls, are in swarms.
  • Cacodemons are in flights.
  • Pain elementals are in flights, too, but alternatively they can be in overloads.
  • Hell nobles are in orders.
  • Arachnotrons and spider masterminds are in hives.
  • Mancubuses are in stacks.
  • Revenants are in shambles.
  • Arch-viles are in cabals.
  • Cyberdemons are in herds.

11 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

Besides, it's Mancubi, not Mancubodes.

It's a joke because octopus -> octopodes so by the same token mancubus -> mancubodes has about as much justification as mancubi.

Now, question: the correct plural for schoolbus, is it schoolbi or schoolbodes? Choose wisely.

1 hour ago, Grain of Salt said:

A cloud of lost souls.

I have used this before. Lately though, I've taken to saying "a skybox of lost souls" when the space above you is literally filled with them.

Could we also say "a fireblu of cacodemons"?

Here's what I've come up with since my last post:

• A Boneyard of Revenants;
  • A Slaughter of Pinkies (as I mentioned above);
  • A Factory of Arachnotrons;
  • A Dash of Lost Souls;
  • A Hiss of Cacodemons;
  • A Platoon of Zombies;
  • A Ritual of Arch Viles;
  • A Command of Spider Masterminds;
  • A Gluttony of Mancubi;
  • A Spook of Spectres;
  • A Devastation of Cyberdemons.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Excuse my english...

- A salad of cacodemons and pain elementals, self-explanatory.

- A roadblock of pinkies/spectres, do they have another purpose than being obstacles in the worst cases?

- A circus of lost souls, they look like clowns when they fly at you.

- A sketch of former humans and/or ss nazis, one of the funniest things to see is a legion of zombiemen killing each other.

- A sunday barbecue lunch of archviles (or by them), since they cook living beings.

- A movie from the 90s of arachnotrons and spiderdemons, I hope people get the reference.

- A basketball team of cyberdemons, because they are tall.

- A troop of monkeys imps. 

- A stampede of barons/hell knights, though they don't run too much. 

- A fatnation of mancubi, my creativity just went down the toilet. 

Oh and a stop exisTING OK? of revenants. 

A clusterfuck of archviles

A fuck of revenants

Several mancubodes

More cyberdemons than necessary

Edited by rf`

a graveyard of zombiemen

a texas of shotgunners

a plutonia of chaingunners

a cache of imps

a pigsty of demons

a gloaming of spectres

a depletion of lost souls

a goodyear of cacodemons

a hindenburg of pain elementals

a cavalry of hell knights

a banquet of barons

a rape of revenants

a lard of mancubi

a network of arachnotrons

a cardinal of arch-viles

a cerebral of spiderdemons

a metal of cyberdemons

Edited by RightField

This is all well and good, but the pea-brained enemies that Doom tosses at you deserve nothing more than the be universally referred to as "a mess"!

"Oh shit, there's a mess of cacodemons above me blocking my path with their infinitely tall bullshit"

"There was a whole mess of chaingunners in that room. Now I'm the mess..."

"THIS FUCKING MONSTER PLACEMENT IS SO MESSY WTF"

...as has been clearly demonstrated, this terminology applies universally to any scenario! Perfect for all your "describing a laughably giant group of enemies in Doom" needs!

EDIT: As alluded to in rf`'s post, it is acceptable in some instances to replace "mess" with "clusterfuck"

14 hours ago, Gez said:

Now, question: the correct plural for schoolbus, is it schoolbi or schoolbodes? Choose wisely.

All I know that a Mancubus is not a bus so that's one plural that doesn't apply.

3 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

All I know that a Mancubus is not a bus

Hmmm...

short-school-buses-for-sale-rt.jpgMancubus-Doom-video-game.jpg

I'm still not convinced....

This is one of the weirdest parts of English language... Are these "school of fish", etc used somewhere in common life?

18 minutes ago, Memfis said:

This is one of the weirdest parts of English language... Are these "school of fish", etc used somewhere in common life?

It varies, a 'school of fish' or a 'pride of lions' is commonly used, but a 'murder of crows' is reserved for those wearing too much eye liner. I suspect some of them are made up on the spot, and it can get pretty whimiscal.

Edited by Urthar