Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pinchy

The Alfonzone

A note on the music:

Except for the temporary replacement MIDIs in the soundtrack for this version, you may find that some of the music sounds incomplete, repetitive or too short to accommodate the length of some levels. This is because the 2015 Speedmidi Collection was presented as a series of exercises exploring the 30 minute composition process, with the hope that individual tracks might one day require improvement for proper use.

Please note that I'm currently working on doing just this and that very little of what you hear here is finalized (or, probably, anything like how I want it to sound).

i....i can't handle this, my brain is too soft to comprehend the sheer amount of quality and mapping going on here

fuck i'm gonna be occupied for the next hundred years or so

Is this to be Pinchy's magnum opus? Needless to say I WILL be checking this out once my playthrough of Eagle 8 is done.

I'm expecting great (Cacoward-worthy?) things from this one, from what little glimpses I've caught from Tarnsman's stream of this and Pinchy's previous mapping excellence.

Well, I'm already a few maps deep in this but I can actually already say that this is shaping up to be pretty legendary, so...  here we go! Hopefully I don't get too many complaints of clogging up the thread, but I intend on posting my thoughts on each of these things because they really do stand on their own.

Firstly, I have to compliment the hubworld. I think it's cool how each episode gets its own thematic shift and "place" in the hub. Neat stuff.

The sandwich at the start made me laugh out loud. Design itself was simple, but you REALLY put the Zdoom features to work here without too much interference, and it shows. This map may not be Ancient Aliens, but it's got jumping between apartment balconies and vertical gameplay, so... take that, skillsaw! The lil' maze at the end with the translucent walls was cool too. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to posting about the later maps, where I'll have a lot more things to say and more praise to shower upon Pinchy. Stay tuned!

(P.S- if i'm playing janky in this vid, it's because I'm getting used back to using mouselook and getting the hang of the jumping and moving mechanics- it balances out in later FDAs)

bah doubleposting i'm scared, putting my good doomworld reputation on the line so i can talk about this great mapset

OH WELL

However to be more generous I'm gonna put 2 maps in 1 from now on so there's less clutter.

MAP02

Spoiler

A lot bigger and lot grander than MAP01, with a nifty central gimmick being a 2-layered arena with this 3d floor catwalk above the lower pit, with a few side paths here and there. A considerable step up in difficulty from MAP01, especially considering the AV room and a few other setups, but nothing ball-bustingly hard. I really appreciate how jumping and crouching are put into consideration, and like I mentioned earlier the use of 3d floors for detail. For example, those health and ammo bits SLIGHTLY out-of-reach that can be obtained by a jump just shine out to me. The market on the lower level was pretty entertaining, I like the Doom-like depictions of real-world objects. Agh, what else can I say? The color scheme is vibrant, the architecture looks pretty, everything flows together well...  Solid, solid work.

MAP03

Spoiler

THE MONKEY BARS.

WHY HAS SUCH A GREAT MECHANIC BEEN INVENTED IN THIS MAPSET? I NEED TO KNOW. THAT'S THE BEST USE OF ZDOOM MECHANICS SINCE PUTREFIER. 

Anyway, it's a sprawling downtown level with a killer track (once again, all of these MIDIs have been great, thanks @Alfonzo!) and some pretty nasty threats here or there. Actually managed to die once from an unlucky Manc shot. This, to me, is a great example of dynamic platforming. What's that? Well, I just made it up, so consider it making jumping and crouching feel natural and flow within the level design. Being able to get on top of the little playground from earlier in the map to grab the SSG and some other goodies made me grin like a child. Final part of the map is a bit of a thematic change, but it's cool enough, hopping across these little monster-pods to progress. I haven't talked much about combat yet in this mapset, and to sum it up, it's.... ehh, Pinchy styled. Not a diss on Pinchy, I actually like the gameplay, there's just a distinct feel and design to these levels that you couldn't discern it otherwise. 

(P.S- In this video and more to come there's a few pauses here or there, this is because I had a conversation going with a Steam Friend while I was going through these. Nothing too major, in MAP04 I think it's the most annoying? But it smooths out once again.) 

Drug Shuttle is a great mapper. I hope they get an honorable mention in this year's Cacowards.

one last writeup for tonight

MAP04

Spoiler

Is that "Dim" in Turkish?

A considerable spike up in difficulty from MAP04, frantic running around to get a foothold and weapons quickly. I can't help but fall in love with the opening plaza, that "dim" room with all the imps in boxes, and THE GODDAMN AMMO ON BENCHES. so much fun to roam around in. The giant traffic cone is lovely as well, pretty fun going up to get the key in there. if there's one thing that I'd suggest here, it'd be to convey the blocked-offness of the red key section of the bat, it's in a pretty awkward scenario as it stands. Comedic, yes, but it could better. Other than that, design was unique. Especially liked taking potshots at the revenants hiding in the sewers from above. Ammo was surprisingly tight.

Also, shoutouts to the fun crouching setup you can do in the "parking lot" room near the end.

MAP05

Spoiler

An even bigger step up from MAP04 in terms of difficulty. Fair warning, I die A LOT here. The opening fucked me a few times, as well as your uncanny sense at preparing for players trying to back out of combat situations or hide. The doomworld meme at the start made me laugh, I actually recall a conversation in discord a while ago where someone said "If you can make a speedmapping session for both the Breezeep types and the Pinchy types, you've succeeded" or something like that

This is a pretty big thematic switch from previous maps aswell, but it works wonderfully and the usage of 3d floors and the like ( i sound like a broken record but) are pulled off with success. I guess my main gripe with this one is scarcity of ammo, so I'd work on adding a bit more? Also, I think I broke the map near the end, skipping some sections because I only ended up with 76% kills. :( Good map though!

Zoon-tex couldn't have asked for a more responsible mapper to use it so well. :)

Will be playing this as soon as I can.

Damnit, how am I supposed to get any mapping done?

Had a quick play through the first 4 maps, and they seem pretty fun and make good use of the format.

Edited by Urthar

11 hours ago, bioshockfan90 said:

one last writeup for tonight

MAP04

Reveal hidden contents

Is that "Dim" in Turkish?

A considerable spike up in difficulty from MAP04, frantic running around to get a foothold and weapons quickly. I can't help but fall in love with the opening plaza, that "dim" room with all the imps in boxes, and THE GODDAMN AMMO ON BENCHES. so much fun to roam around in. The giant traffic cone is lovely as well, pretty fun going up to get the key in there. if there's one thing that I'd suggest here, it'd be to convey the blocked-offness of the red key section of the bat, it's in a pretty awkward scenario as it stands. Comedic, yes, but it could better. Other than that, design was unique. Especially liked taking potshots at the revenants hiding in the sewers from above. Ammo was surprisingly tight.

Also, shoutouts to the fun crouching setup you can do in the "parking lot" room near the end.

MAP05

Reveal hidden contents

An even bigger step up from MAP04 in terms of difficulty. Fair warning, I die A LOT here. The opening fucked me a few times, as well as your uncanny sense at preparing for players trying to back out of combat situations or hide. The doomworld meme at the start made me laugh, I actually recall a conversation in discord a while ago where someone said "If you can make a speedmapping session for both the Breezeep types and the Pinchy types, you've succeeded" or something like that

This is a pretty big thematic switch from previous maps aswell, but it works wonderfully and the usage of 3d floors and the like ( i sound like a broken record but) are pulled off with success. I guess my main gripe with this one is scarcity of ammo, so I'd work on adding a bit more? Also, I think I broke the map near the end, skipping some sections because I only ended up with 76% kills. :( Good map though!

I hide some monsters in secrets, did you get all those?

18 hours ago, Pinchy said:

MIDIs composed for use with Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth

Oh gooood, it'll work with my patch set rather well then.

I gotta play this over the holidays!

Play through a couple maps so far and I have no complaints, the use of the ZDoom features and the quality of the maps themselves is amazing, I like how silly some level endings are. Hope to play more of this whenever I have time, already some of the best maps I have played this year!

1 hour ago, rehelekretep said:

so Alfonzo's real name isnt Alfonzo?

*wonders what else is a lie*

People don't call me Jimmy in real life.

...Not often, anyways.

Hot damn Pinchy, I thought I was burned out after playing PSX Doom TC Lost Levels but noooooo you just gave me a remedy, more maps! I'll let you know what I think once I play through a decent lot of it.

map01 fda

map02 fda

in gzdoom 3.2.1

very fun. im loving the verticality, but i cant deal with free mouselook so i look around sometimes but keep it mostly horizontal :D

the little details in the marketplace were superb btw.

one more before bed

map03 fda

gzdoom 3.2.1

it seems i am what is termed cack-handed, and i cant jump properly at all. this demo is 50% demonstrations of gravity.

what does the BK do?