Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pinchy

The Alfonzone

3 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

what does the BK do?

It's for a shortcut lift back up to the square rooms.

15 hours ago, Jimmy said:

People don't call me Jimmy in real life.

...Not often, anyways.

His real name is Jimotheus Padlock.

Aye, it is said the maps are intended for gameplay mods so... i tried it with my own and currently i see there are switches that uses the wrong setup to make them check if the player has a specific keycard, so in my case and Hunter's Moon, the mod rewrites KEYCONF to define new keys for the existing locks to apply new effects and stuff to the keys, however the script the switches uses is action 80 Script Execute and then the script itself checks the player's inventory to check only for vanilla keycards which in the case of my mod is being replaced and the player will never be able to pick them up.

I recommend replace all those checks by using action 83 Script Locked Execute, so the engine will natively ask for a keycard lock from the KEYCONF instead of you having to do the check in the script yourself, so mods like mine which replaces keycards doesn't break the maps, i have yet to play all maps but i already faced this problem in MAP03 so far.

Gonna play on stream, don't know what to expect from this at all, maybe streaming is a bad idea.

since the description said the mod was designed to be able to be played with gameplay mods in question, i decided to give it a go with DoomRL Arsenal, in tandem with vanilla playthrough.

sad to say, but this mod does have more than a few caveats with DRLA. one thing i noticed right off the bat is that when you enter an episode, your weapon carry limit gets increased by 1 for the introductory cutscene, and one when you enter the first actual map, but you don't actually get more weapons. so your carrying limit gets bugged out and has to be lowered through console commands. i'm guessing this has to do with the fact you start out with no weapons in the cutscene episode map, as well as the hub world, but with DRLA you do. so you get one extra of your starting weapon, e.g. the Renegade's Shotgun, but you don't get more weapons, it just fills up your weapon inventory.

once that is taken care of, you can play the maps just fine, but once you exit the episode, since it resets your inventory, it takes away all your weapons, armors and modpacks, and likewise bugs out the inventory counter. so that means you can't carry over any of your stuff throughout episodes. this probably kills any enjoyment you could hope to experience playing DRLA with this, since the big draw of it is to continually expand your inventory, and getting it wiped every 5 maps... well, i guess this is a mapset you just can't enjoy playing with DRLA.

now on to something else that might be a bug encountered with other gameplay mods; in the Dark Souls map, playing with DRLA, grabbing the Megasphere does not trigger the script that spawns in all the monsters and gets rid of all the dark souls, because DRLA replaces the Megasphere with its own variant. this might be an issue with other mods that replaces the Megasphere with something else.

in summary, this is a really fun and neat mapset to play through in vanilla. just... DRLA fans might be disappointed.

11 hours ago, Zanieon said:

Aye, it is said the maps are intended for gameplay mods so... i tried it with my own and currently i see there are switches that uses the wrong setup to make them check if the player has a specific keycard, so in my case and Hunter's Moon, the mod rewrites KEYCONF to define new keys for the existing locks to apply new effects and stuff to the keys, however the script the switches uses is action 80 Script Execute and then the script itself checks the player's inventory to check only for vanilla keycards which in the case of my mod is being replaced and the player will never be able to pick them up.

I recommend replace all those checks by using action 83 Script Locked Execute, so the engine will natively ask for a keycard lock from the KEYCONF instead of you having to do the check in the script yourself, so mods like mine which replaces keycards doesn't break the maps, i have yet to play all maps but i already faced this problem in MAP03 so far.

The code to check the yellow switch in map03 was actually a redundant holdover from a long time ago, I've changed it to just be a standard yellow key switch now.

Wouldn't that break every mapset that checks for vanilla keycards?

17 hours ago, Pinchy said:

The code to check the yellow switch in map03 was actually a redundant holdover from a long time ago, I've changed it to just be a standard yellow key switch now.

Wouldn't that break every mapset that checks for vanilla keycards?

I thought that would be some mislooked old code, since that map is the only one which had that checking method.

And well, that would break every map that has its own keys to check, cheking for vanilla keycards in the script itself was never the correct thing to do because the action 83 exists since Hexen IIRC.

a lot of fun; reminiscent of some of the cave Sunlust maps. i love the Aztec/jungle theme

map12 fda

no idea where im meant to go; i wonder now if meant to go swimming in the sludge? exited with about 2/3rds of the monsters left! cool gimmick with the rising sludge

map13 fda

sorry yeah getting a bit spammy there. ill save some up and post all at once next time. trouble is im never sure when ill next be able to play a bit so ill probably forget the map and then wont bother posting :(

1 hour ago, 94's the best style said:

How long did it take to make this thing? 3-5 years?

Ideas, resource gathering and music listening: 09/10/2016 - 01/11/2016

Building maps, more resource gathering, graphics making, text writing: 01/11/2016 - 19/11/2017

So close to 1 year.

Wow, I was distracted by the 1000 hours, and tried to calculate a sensible amount of time to do that. For there's 365 days per year, if you had medium of one hour per day it would go to the multiple year category, but I severely underestimated how much free time every weekend would  bring, plus focusing on the project and having passion for Doom mapping, making the year more sensible amount of time.

It took a lot of dedication and careful focus maintained over a very long time, it was not easy.

The biggest and only real sacrifice was in gaming time I had, which doesn't matter anyway.

Version 1.02

Fixes

- Map 1 Out of bounds by jumping over the eastern wall

- Map 13 Initial monster alert trigger

- Map 23 falling stairs poison damage reduced, soulsphere added

- Map 27 start changed so you can kill the archvile or hold out

- Map 29 central section ice now melts and removes damage, switches are wider and more visible

- Map 35 berserk pack progression trigger changed to a switch

- Map 43 north eastern fence now impassible to prevent out of bounds

- Map 49 basement elevators with shoot switch

- Map 61 precision error in nodes

- Map 61 unstuck added after exiting 45

- Minor texture and lighting fixes on 5 maps

Changes

- Map 47 some trees removed to ease movement out of the gate area

- Map 48 blue switch raising trigger set to kill most imps or a single cyberdemon to give better options

- Map 49 helm switch texture changed to be more obvious

- Various small balance tweaks

Edited by Pinchy : Formatting

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/204252264 = part 1 (episode 1)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/204582072 = part 2 (rest of episode 1, all of episodes 2 & most of 3)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/206214346 = part 3 (rest of episode 3, all of episode 4)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/206507655 = part 4 (episodes 5 & 6)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/208184645 = part 5 (rest of episode 6, all of episode 7)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/208499258 = part 6 (episodes 8 & 9)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/208755955 = part 7 (episode 10)

I hereby declare this my joint favourite megawad of all time, alongside Going Down.

Good freaking job Pinchy, I hope this wins you a Cacoward next year and that other mappers are inspired by it to make good GZDoom maps like this collection.

V1.02b

Fixes

Map 12 - Missing liquid when lowering the slow lift in the central chamber
Map 15 - Reworked the spider mastermind trigger to the newer version so it can retry it's teleport
Map 22 - Secret mid textures
Map 24 - Incorrect tag prevented some monsters from entering the map
Map 29 - Alignment of the railings on the upper central walkway fixed
Map 41 - Redesigned scripts to prevent jumping into the exit early and cutting off the music ending
Minor texture errors in 2 maps

Changes

Map 15 - SSG trigger now change to enter sector in case of full ammo
Map 18 - Fences set to allow projectiles to pass through
Map 20 - Railings in the BFG room now allow projectiles to pass through
Map 24 - Yellow key pillar trigger set to sector entry instead of armour pickup in case of having more than 100%
Map 25 - Rocket launcher pickup trigger swapped to sector entry in case of full ammo
Map 28 - Railings near the exit now allow imp projectiles to pass through

Edited by Pinchy : Formatting

Bug report for MAP21:

1. The garage elevator is made up of three different sectors, which can be blocked separately. They should be attached together so that this kind of things doesn't happen:

mmpBipT.png

C5gcU7u.png

2. I opened the exit with one monster missing to the tally. Looking at the automap cheat, it was a pain elemental that never teleported in for some reason.