Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lingyan203

Tau Sigma Phi's 10th Anniversary (tausig10th.wad) - /idgames link ready!

Hey guys!

So I just finished my very first map for Doom 2, called "Tau Sigma Phi's 10th Anniversary", in honour of the sorority's 10th anniversary. This map is huge, Jungle/Cave themed, and is a slaughter map with a whopping 12,600 monsters on Ultra-Violence. Replaces map01 of Doom 2. This wad requires PrBoom+ -complevel 9 to play, although it does use Vanilla Features.

You will also need cc4-tex.wad to play this map.

/idgames link:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/tausig10

Update (Screenshots):

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Lingyan203/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1031928910280808

Update 2: The Cc4-tex.wad is now included in the zip file!

Cheers!

Lingyan203

Edited by Lingyan203

Your first map for Doom 2? That's cool! I'm gonna download this one and tr......

24 minutes ago, Lingyan203 said:

...12,600 monsters...

Eh... please allow me to sleep first and try it later, would you? It's pretty late here right now. :D

Before I go to bed, here's one bug that I've found; there's a small gap near the starting point, making the player stuck behind the tree. I added screenshots of it inside the spoiler box below.

Spoiler

resize_doom15.jpg.b3569bdb15330094f94bad46fc68023e.jpg

resize_doom16.jpg.c8ea829167f2fb4ff9e9b4ea84a9aee2.jpg

7 hours ago, antares031 said:

Before I go to bed, here's one bug that I've found; there's a small gap near the starting point, making the player stuck behind the tree. I added screenshots of it inside the spoiler box below.

Hide contents

resize_doom15.jpg.b3569bdb15330094f94bad46fc68023e.jpg

resize_doom16.jpg.c8ea829167f2fb4ff9e9b4ea84a9aee2.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll get that fixed. Let me know if there are any other bugs.

Here's my FDA. Didn't make too far, regardless of an hour long gameplay. :P

I think the layout needs more flexibility, since I always stuck inside of hole or supply room. Not to mention that this density of monster doesn't allow me to move freely around the level, until the amount of monsters is dropped to the reasonable stage. And yes, It'd be better if there are no trees to block the paths between the giant letters.

tau_antares.zip

5 hours ago, antares031 said:

Here's my FDA. Didn't make too far, regardless of an hour long gameplay. :P

I think the layout needs more flexibility, since I always stuck inside of hole or supply room. Not to mention that this density of monster doesn't allow me to move freely around the level, until the amount of monsters is dropped to the reasonable stage. And yes, It'd be better if there are no trees to block the paths between the giant letters.

tau_antares.zip

Does the extra ammo and invulnerability help? As for the trees, yes I can rearrange them so they don't block the paths between the letters.

24 minutes ago, Lingyan203 said:

Does the extra ammo and invulnerability help?

I think this level already has a plenty of ammo and godsphere. But, adding more godspheres may motivate the player to move around the outside, rather than stuck inside the mouse hole.

9 minutes ago, antares031 said:

I think this level already has a plenty of ammo and godsphere. But, adding more godspheres may motivate the player to move around the outside, rather than stuck inside the mouse hole.

Don't worry! I updated the file and moved all the items around outside the arena rather than stuck inside the mouse hole. The mouse holes don't have anything inside of it. You can use the mouse holes as a safe area, but you will eventually run out of ammo and health. I made sure there's no ammo, health or anything in those holes.

Try doing the demo again with the updated file and let me know how it is.

Edited by Lingyan203

Progress so far:

doom00.png.7e9ca666ac9a6baaa6d21ed5d65dae2d.png

and progress with IDDT (only for the picture):

Spoiler

doom01.png.d7795aabe0fe75c8e55094536a931f88.png

I "accidentally" got inside a letter and it's absolutely impossible to come out. This would be my fifth try, in the third one I returned to the start point and, well I survived for 15 minutes. Without ever trying nuts.wad I think this one could classify as nuts as a genre in Doom. Not only visually but audibly, the madness of cyberdemons and spiderdemons cheering and dying, as well as the rest of the monsters, specially revs.

So I'm taking the map humorously, but I agree with antares031 that the mass of monsters is too much to move freely or return to the ammo caches, I'll see at the end how it turned out everything. By the way, the midi is This Time for Africa right? 

37 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Progress so far:

doom00.png.7e9ca666ac9a6baaa6d21ed5d65dae2d.png

and progress with IDDT (only for the picture):

Hide contents

doom01.png.d7795aabe0fe75c8e55094536a931f88.png

I "accidentally" got inside a letter and it's absolutely impossible to come out. This would be my fifth try, in the third one I returned to the start point and, well I survived for 15 minutes. Without ever trying nuts.wad I think this one could classify as nuts as a genre in Doom. Not only visually but audibly, the madness of cyberdemons and spiderdemons cheering and dying, as well as the rest of the monsters, specially revs.

So I'm taking the map humorously, but I agree with antares031 that the mass of monsters is too much to move freely or return to the ammo caches, I'll see at the end how it turned out everything. By the way, the midi is This Time for Africa right? 

Yes it is, the music played on this map is "This Time for Africa" by Shakira -Waka Waka.

I do want to try and keep the monster count to that high, but I can change some of them around and reduce the number of revenants and change most of them to imps, which might help better.

As for getting stuck inside the letter, I can add some escape teleporters that will take the player back to the start to make everything go smoothly.

Maybe one day I can make this a megawad, but if I do, this level will be the final level of the game. If I make a level with no monsters as map30, the Icon of Sin will be harmless on that map. Do you think I should make this set a full megawad?

UPDATE: Wad has been updated and the letters have an escape teleporter. The escape teleporters are identified as a glowing square

Edited by Lingyan203

3 hours ago, Lingyan203 said:

Do you think I should make this set a full megawad?

Well, if this is your first map, perhaps you should start with more single maps and ask for feedback, so others can help you get better at mapping, and then start your megawad. 

As for the map itself, I thought it was funny, the monster count is ok, whether the map classifies as slaughter or not is something more experienced players from that category can say. There is no need to change revenants to imps, as the player must remain invulnerable quite some time to reduce the bestiary and gain space, and so any enemy apart from archviles and pain elementals can be killed at any moment. The map is full of basic cinematic encounters, rather than challenging. In every encounter you are absolutely overpowered and in general stuff kill each other, such as the hell nobles and cyberdemons cave, which I simply watch them from above until there were only a few nobles. I liked the giant cave though, chaingunners are a pain in the ass, but you placed tons of spheres so it was a bit easy. The subsequent fights inside the letters suffer from straightforward grinding, which means that all monsters are non-threatening this way, since one can just retreat, or not because of the excess of resources. Aesthetically the map is a mess at the beginning. The switch at the start point should lower instead of raise, cause it looks ugly. The caves look bland but I saw some potential in terms of detailing, for the umm stalagmites (?). In regards to ammo, sometimes I found myself running out of the cells while in the middle of monsters (invul or not). Something to have in account is, place proper ammunition within reach, so the player doesn't find themselves carving through hordes to backtrack for the only useful ammo (cells in this case). Rockets are not a good option when the space is completely flooded with spectres and pinkies, and that was my problem. Another thing is item placement, please don't put a berserk in the same spot where there are other useful items, the forced weapon change is annoying. 

I can't say much about mapping cause I don't map, but I know a mapset of this style won't not be attractive for most people. You have a lot of experience with beautiful megawads, try to study the gameplay and aesthetics from them, mappers recommend Valiant for monster placement, I would also recommend all sorts of wads to have different sources of inspiration. Also, like I said before, don't hesitate to ask for help!

BTW, this is all in regards to the previous edition, I haven't tried your last update but from what you said I think you did well in adding teleporters inside letters. 

6 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Well, if this is your first map, perhaps you should start with more single maps and ask for feedback, so others can help you get better at mapping, and then start your megawad. 

As for the map itself, I thought it was funny, the monster count is ok, whether the map classifies as slaughter or not is something more experienced players from that category can say. There is no need to change revenants to imps, as the player must remain invulnerable quite some time to reduce the bestiary and gain space, and so any enemy apart from archviles and pain elementals can be killed at any moment. The map is full of basic cinematic encounters, rather than challenging. In every encounter you are absolutely overpowered and in general stuff kill each other, such as the hell nobles and cyberdemons cave, which I simply watch them from above until there were only a few nobles. I liked the giant cave though, chaingunners are a pain in the ass, but you placed tons of spheres so it was a bit easy. The subsequent fights inside the letters suffer from straightforward grinding, which means that all monsters are non-threatening this way, since one can just retreat, or not because of the excess of resources. Aesthetically the map is a mess at the beginning. The switch at the start point should lower instead of raise, cause it looks ugly. The caves look bland but I saw some potential in terms of detailing, for the umm stalagmites (?). In regards to ammo, sometimes I found myself running out of the cells while in the middle of monsters (invul or not). Something to have in account is, place proper ammunition within reach, so the player doesn't find themselves carving through hordes to backtrack for the only useful ammo (cells in this case). Rockets are not a good option when the space is completely flooded with spectres and pinkies, and that was my problem. Another thing is item placement, please don't put a berserk in the same spot where there are other useful items, the forced weapon change is annoying. 

I can't say much about mapping cause I don't map, but I know a mapset of this style won't not be attractive for most people. You have a lot of experience with beautiful megawads, try to study the gameplay and aesthetics from them, mappers recommend Valiant for monster placement, I would also recommend all sorts of wads to have different sources of inspiration. Also, like I said before, don't hesitate to ask for help!

BTW, this is all in regards to the previous edition, I haven't tried your last update but from what you said I think you did well in adding teleporters inside letters. 

Well in the cave area the level is also detailed with stalactites, but they're quite hard to see as it's very dark. If you have the light amplification goggles it might help out a lot.

Also, the file has been updated once again. I hope you check out my newest update. If there's anything else that needs to be improved, don't hesitate to comment :)

And I did! If you want to check a 50 minute demo here it is: tausigma-uv.zip 

Just make sure you load that .deh file too, it's just a teeny-tiny touch I add to my usual gameplays. Anyway, the final cave looks better and the inside letter fights are much better as traps. I still insist on polishing that initial skull switch. 

18 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

And I did! If you want to check a 50 minute demo here it is: tausigma-uv.zip 

Just make sure you load that .deh file too, it's just a teeny-tiny touch I add to my usual gameplays. Anyway, the final cave looks better and the inside letter fights are much better as traps. I still insist on polishing that initial skull switch. 

Thanks! I saw your demo, it was really good! I'm gonna try and polish some more stuff for the gameplay, like putting a little bit more detail inside the letters, and making the baron/hell knight/cyberdemon/arch-vile trap a little bit more difficult, more like a trap kinda area and such.

Hey guys! I just released a new updated version, which should be the pre-release before the final version! I hope you enjoy it! Let me know if there's more improvements needed!

Here's the link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H9x9-YcCR9iLp8V0ho6Qds5SdLT19l5Z

Screenshots:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Lingyan203/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1031928910280808

This should hopefully be the final version before release! Enjoy!

Edited by Lingyan203

Can you post the MD5 hash of the version of cc4-tex.wad you're using? There's several versions of it floating around the web (there's at least 3 on wad-archive, for example.)

Original version of cc4-tex lies in community chest 4 zip which is available in idgames page. I believe he used that one, unless someone tells me differently.

Edited by Myst.Haruko

Where do the textures MIDVINEH-MIDVINEJ and BRICKPLA come from? I dragged cc4-tex along with the wad files and the said textures still don't load correctly. The image below clarifies what I am discussing.

Missing texture.png

7 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

Where do the textures MIDVINEH-MIDVINEJ and BRICKPLA come from? I dragged cc4-tex along with the wad files and the said textures still don't load correctly. The image below clarifies what I am discussing.

Missing texture.png

It was in the cc4-tex.wad. I only tested my wad with PrBoom+. I'll look into it through zDoom.

Update: It seems to me you're using the cc4-tex.wad from a separate file instead of the one in the original Community Chest 4 zip file. Try using the one in the zip file and load it with the wad and see if it works.

Edited by Lingyan203

4 hours ago, Lingyan203 said:

It was in the cc4-tex.wad. I only tested my wad with PrBoom+. I'll look into it through zDoom.

Update: It seems to me you're using the cc4-tex.wad from a separate file instead of the one in the original Community Chest 4 zip file. Try using the one in the zip file and load it with the wad and see if it works.

I merged MIDVINEI and BRICKPLA into the wad file. I searched for MIDVINEH and MIDVINEJ in the Community Chest 4 wad file and could not find those (opened it up with Slade).

5 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I merged MIDVINEI and BRICKPLA into the wad file. I searched for MIDVINEH and MIDVINEJ in the Community Chest 4 wad file and could not find those (opened it up with Slade).

hmmm... Weird. When I edited this wad with cc4-tex in Doom Builder it showed up for some reason. If you want I can send you the cc4-tex.wad I used for this wad and see if it works. Just PM message me for it.

Just now, Lingyan203 said:

hmmm... Weird. When I edited this wad with cc4-tex in Doom Builder it showed up for some reason. If you want I can send you the cc4-tex.wad I used for this wad and see if it works. Just PM message me for it.

I already have cc4-tex on my disk. I searched for the textures that I've mentioned and I could not find them in either cchest4 or cc4-tex.

30 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I already have cc4-tex on my disk. I searched for the textures that I've mentioned and I could not find them in either cchest4 or cc4-tex.

Okay, so I just added the cc4-tex.wad I used in the wad into the zip file. Just use the one included in the zip file and see if it works.

Cheers!

Lingyan203

On 12/17/2017 at 5:22 PM, Lingyan203 said:

Okay, so I just added the cc4-tex.wad I used in the wad into the zip file. Just use the one included in the zip file and see if it works.

Cheers!

Lingyan203

Here's my version of your level. I merged textures into the wad file for you. A couple of them are still missing (MIDVINEH and MIDVINEJ) because I could not find them when I opened up cc4-tex and the Community Chest 4 wad file. I also beat your level.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/48tqdxi7d7d6rh7/tausig10th.zip

Edited by mArt1And00m3r11339

On 12/18/2017 at 8:28 PM, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

Here's my version of your level. I merged textures into the wad file for you. A couple of them are still missing (MIDVINEH and MIDVINEJ) because I could not find them when I opened up cc4-tex and the Community Chest 4 wad file. I also beat your level.

tausig10th.zip

That's awesome! Congratulations! Thank you for playing! What did you think of my level?

16 minutes ago, Lingyan203 said:

That's awesome! Congratulations! Thank you for playing! What did you think of my level?

I think it was an interesting level. If there was one thing that can be improved, it would be knowing where MIDVINEH and MIDVINEJ came from because I could not find those in the texture pack or the Community Chest 4 wad file alone, which resulted in missing textures when loading the source port (after merging all of the used textures into your wad file). Right now, I am currently working on a large slaughter level that will take several hours to beat, the one that is based off of Ice Rage and be a sequel to Oreo Cake Massacre. It'll require GZDoom because it uses Hexen format. Below is a screenshot of my level.

Carrot Cake Massacre Automap.png

11 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I think it was an interesting level. If there was one thing that can be improved, it would be knowing where MIDVINEH and MIDVINEJ came from because I could not find those in the texture pack or the Community Chest 4 wad file alone, which resulted in missing textures when loading the source port (after merging all of the used textures into your wad file). Right now, I am currently working on a large slaughter level that will take several hours to beat, the one that is based off of Ice Rage and be a sequel to Oreo Cake Massacre. It'll require GZDoom because it uses Hexen format. Below is a screenshot of my level.

Carrot Cake Massacre Automap.png

Awesome Timothy! Do all the slaughter maps that you made require GZDoom or can they work with PrBoom+?

2 hours ago, Lingyan203 said:

Awesome Timothy! Do all the slaughter maps that you made require GZDoom or can they work with PrBoom+?

I have some that work with Boom. I wanted to show you some of the ones that I've already designed but it is doing some weird stuff with animations, which I now have addressed on this site.