Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dybbuk81

A new website

I've been wanting to add something to the doom community for some time. What do you think?

A Website with links to literally everything I can possibly find, from youtube users with lots of videos to everything doomworld has but confined into grids (like newstuff from the start) for easy access to top 100/200/500 wads lists compiled from other lists or user votes... all the 90s levels in one place clickable so that you can play them right from the site (as long as your source port is set to handle the proper extensions)

...or a hosting site for doom pages from fans making mods or doing other things with 50 megs free or like $10 for a gig for a lifetime as an alternative

...or BOTH?!?

/idgames

EDIT: just realized full context of post. yeah i wouldn't be opposed to atleast a collection of wads seperated by category for easy access

I like the idea of wads, organized by categories or themes, maybe the wads come back easier to find and a little more organized.

7 minutes ago, Jon said:

I think we could do with a news blog.

Any notable wad releases or Doom news would be nice. But who would commit to consistent watching, researching and writing?

Just had an idea: what about a site that randomly populates a grid with thumbnails generated from random wads, daily?  Build an executable that just warps to a map found in the wad and renders out a shot, possibly with -nomonsters.  That'd be a neat novelty that might bring attention to overlooked maps.  Maybe randomly choose to render the view from P1 Start pov or a random monster pov.

20 minutes ago, Reiken said:

Just had an idea: what about a site that randomly populates a grid with thumbnails generated from random wads, daily?  Build an executable that just warps to a map found in the wad and renders out a shot, possibly with -nomonsters.  That'd be a neat novelty that might bring attention to overlooked maps.  Maybe randomly choose to render the view from P1 Start pov or a random monster pov.

We had that: http://wadbot.tumblr.com/

stuff bouncing around in my head I'd wanna see:

articles on Doom approached from an artistic perspective, or from an arcade gamer's perspective, or from an FPS hater's perspective or from the perspective of someone who develops entirely different types of game; reviews of lesser-known Doom maps by people who already know them from top to bottom; reviews, recommendations and rankings of speedruns; competitions you just thought up; a checklist of twitch streamers who play Doom and whether they're primarily a skilled on-sight player or a deathmatcher or a speedrunner or a casual player or a mapper what have you; an alternate set of Cacowards according to a checklist more to your liking; a run-down of the health and tendencies of the multiplayer scene; email interviews with mappers or port developers or random weirdoes from the active Doom scene; a shrine to TimeofDeath's mapping career

I just meant a simple launch pad in HTML with hosting for other sites :) I don't know the high end stuff. If anyone else does though...

it would be megawads.com if I get around to buying it soon (have the money, etc)

I'd like to see somebody continue writing "This Week in Doom" for Doom Wad Station. This would serve for an excellent news type of thing, though I'll note from my own experience doing it that it should honestly be a 2 person job, or one main person with a handful of contributors from various communities to help with the information gathering.

Whatever happened to the DoomWorld news or blog thing that used to be on the home page? Before the forum update?

9 hours ago, Nevander said:

Whatever happened to the DoomWorld news or blog thing that used to be on the home page? Before the forum update?

It got dropped, I don't know if @Linguica or @Bloodshedder are planning on bringing it back or not.

16 hours ago, yakfak said:

stuff bouncing around in my head I'd wanna see:

articles on Doom approached from an artistic perspective, or from an arcade gamer's perspective, or from an FPS hater's perspective or from the perspective of someone who develops entirely different types of game; reviews of lesser-known Doom maps by people who already know them from top to bottom; reviews, recommendations and rankings of speedruns; competitions you just thought up; a checklist of twitch streamers who play Doom and whether they're primarily a skilled on-sight player or a deathmatcher or a speedrunner or a casual player or a mapper what have you; an alternate set of Cacowards according to a checklist more to your liking; a run-down of the health and tendencies of the multiplayer scene; email interviews with mappers or port developers or random weirdoes from the active Doom scene; a shrine to TimeofDeath's mapping career

This would be great

16 hours ago, Nevander said:

7 hours ago, Jon said:

It got dropped, I don't know if @Linguica or @Bloodshedder are planning on bringing it back or not.

😑 cKCsOcW.png

Anyways, my plan (after I *finally* manage to upgrade the forum software...) is to re-implement the news page as a mixture of (occasional) news along with a lot of featured forum posts and (eventually) file uploads, in a format similar to https://invisioncommunity.com/ourpicks/

Speaking of file uploads, I have noticed that file ids have become out of sync.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/dt-lutz is idgames://18927.

However, https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/18927-aaa/ links to another file. In the new database, the id of this file posted above is 18932.

Older files don’t seem affected.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/megawads/neis is idgames://18645 and https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/18645-aaa/ links to the same file.

On 11/20/2017 at 11:40 PM, Fonze said:

I'd like to see somebody continue writing "This Week in Doom" for Doom Wad Station. This would serve for an excellent news type of thing, though I'll note from my own experience doing it that it should honestly be a 2 person job, or one main person with a handful of contributors from various communities to help with the information gathering.

I was just thinking about Doom Wad Station, as it sounds similar to what OP was after.

I like the idea, so I think I'll do a little research first.

It would be good to have a handy cross-community news source to check regularly; something like that would be a great boon to bringing communities together and keeping hermits and otherwise busy people still in the know. Like I didn't realize before checking DWS that doom reborn for Doom 3 had gotten an update fairly recently; stuff like that, and source port updates, zokum bsp, etc, are all really nice to know about, as there is so much going on throughout the web for Doom that the average person is likely to miss a lot of cool stuff. Of course, the wad reviews take tons of time as well though, heh, but half of the news is sifting through all the wads and mods that are in development or being released :)

1 minute ago, Fonze said:

It would be good to have a handy cross-community news source to check regularly; something like that would be a great boon to bringing communities together and keeping hermits and otherwise busy people still in the know. Like I didn't realize before checking DWS that doom reborn for Doom 3 had gotten an update fairly recently; stuff like that, and source port updates, zokum bsp, etc, are all really nice to know about, as there is so much going on throughout the web for Doom that the average person is likely to miss a lot of cool stuff. Of course, the wad reviews take tons of time as well though, heh, but half of the news is sifting through all the wads and mods that are in development or being released :)

If there is enough drive for the idea, I can't see the harm in helping it get off the ground.

There is not enough drive for the work to be done in the quality it should be with the regularity it needs ;/

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:09 PM, Lokust Sun said:

http://www.lehr.me/doom

very early stuff from last year, plus a little from now. At first I'd need to redo the 18 topleft buttons and change the full layout possibly

On 11/21/2017 at 11:32 AM, Linguica said:

😑

i had no idea this button was here, i've just been periodically scrolling down to the news forum at the very bottom awaiting the next /newstuff