Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LoadedCannible

Can't play .WADS on ZDoom

So, I've been trying to play wads n' stuff on doom 2 for quite a while, and nothing seems to work. When I extract the zip folder from the download package, and click on the wad, I takes me to DOSbox, and then tells me the wad is an "illegal command" and then I cant play the wad. I try to move the wad to the ZDoom folder, but that has no effect.

In the image below, on the bottom half, you can see the wad file.

If you have any information or help for me, please respond. Thanks!

5a15a2175f40b_DOSBox0.72CpuCycles_3000Frameskip0Program_DOSBOX11_22_20178_12_34AM.png.1a7ecb48a13726bce783abeae2b64769.png

Have you tried to drag and drop over zdoom port that wad or setup it as main program to open .wad files?

What @Myst.Haruko said.

If you want to be able to run WADs without drag-n-drop:

• right-click on the WAD and select "Open with"
  • make sure that the box "Always use this app to open .wad files" is checked
  • click "more apps"
  • if ZDoom is not in the list (which it probably won't be), scroll down to the bottom, click "look for another app on this PC"
  • locate and select zdoom.exe

That will make ZDoom the default executable for opening WAD files.

So I tried that, and the only problem now, is that after running zdoom, it tells me "cannot find zdoom.pk3" or something.

do I have to like, download that file again? because I looked in the zdoom folder, and the file was already there.

Fatal Error - ZDOOM 2.8.1  (2016-02-16 15_46_35 +0300) 11_22_2017 8_41_06 AM.png

I don't think so, ill try that...

I moved it to the zdoom folder, and it works! thanks youguys! your help was much appreciated!

Edited by LoadedCannible : fixed the problem

I think that's required, unfortunately. Apparently, ZDoom is told to find the file zdoom.pk3 inside the "current folder" (which usually works because it lives in the same folder as the executable). However, in this case you're calling the executable from elsewhere, so it doesn't find that file. I also don't see anything in the .cfg file that allows you to set an absolute path for zdoom.pk3.

If that still doesn't work, then drag-n-drop has been well-tested for many years. ;-)

If you're still having trouble with ZDoom, it might be time for you to hire a newer source port. GZ/QZDoom are more or less a continuation of ZDoom features with advanced 3D modelling and other features, while Zandronum and ZDaemon are your main choices if you're looking for online multiplayer (Zdaemon for more of a classic feel, Zandronum for a more modern feel with advanced .wad and .pk3 support)

Yeah ZDoom isn't being updated any more, so you might want to get GZDoom. It does everything ZDoom did (plus a load) and any technical errors are more likely to be fixed.