Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dantosking

Virus of Faith

uB-Sw135Fgg.jpg

Here's 5 levels for Doom 2. You can see only classic style. Nothing special.

Date: 22 Nov 2017 (Map05 upd from 17 oct 2022)
IWAD: Doom 2
Port: Vanilla Doom or newer
Author: Dantosking/Dant3

Download

Screenshots:

Spoiler

v3R3PuYBgv4.jpg
9y-W6QjejrA.jpg
1wiZayPdJkU.jpg
EI5j4wSCnds.jpg

Edited by Dantosking

The detailing in those screenshots looks really nice. Seems like it could use some more variety in the lighting and elevation departments, though.

2 hours ago, Dantosking said:

Date: 22 Nov 2017
IWAD: Doom 2
Port: Vanilla Doom or newer
Author: Dantosking/Dant3

Port: ZDoom or newer* 

Qjpi6jn.png

in map02, the uncrossable W1 trigger here blocks the door in front of it from being used, making the level unbeatable.

Jumped ahead to map05 for a peek. Masterminds can hop on the teleporters.

Spoiler

Wdmv76V.png

God damn it, I was supposed to just quickly test this before going to bed but I couldn't stop playing it. Too much fun. Enemy placement was top notch... well until I died on the three Cyberdemons on MAP04 :) that was a pretty tough spot. (I played on HMP.)

34 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

in map02, the uncrossable W1 trigger here blocks the door in front of it from being used, making the level unbeatable.

Hmm... I was able to beat MAP02. That's the blue door isn't it? I didn't encounter anything weird there.

35 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Jumped ahead to map05 for a peek. Masterminds can hop on the teleporters.

Lol, happened to me too.

Btw, I couldn't find a way to the button that opens the first wall to Romero's head? Am I just stupid or is there a bug?

FDA dump complevel 2 noisy_Virus_of_Faith.zip

Bugs:

• arr-dwah-pah already pointed out the map 2 bug: door won't work on complevel 2 (vanilla) because of two different line actions too close together.  I didn't check doombuilder to see if it's the case for sure, but this is a common bug so i'm guessing; see map05 also for similar issue.
  • there's at least one HoM somewhere but i can't remember where (like map 2, 3 or 4 or something)
  • there was a lift bottom sidedef that is unpegged and looks wierd, like map 3 i think?
  • also, I can't press a switch in map05 in complevel 2.  the sneaky one; you know the one
  • also, you can press those 5 switches in map05 from the ground floor by exploiting infinite height.

These maps were pleasant to play.  I thought the quality increased after map02 imo, but that's because i am prejudice against disjoint boxy-hallway maps, which the first to kinda were.  It started out as a kinda casual and relaxing oldschool style experience, then the difficulty started ramping.  Cool for a short, 5 map wad.

My final demo lump for map05 says try2 but there were other tries inbetween that i wrote over my accident.

Map05 has some damn-tight health and ammo balance.  I suppose it's fair and purposely hard, but it's tight.  I came so close so many times but ran out of ammo.  I reckon it's fine though.  Lots of rage was had :)

MAP05 is too tough. At this point I'm starting to think it's intentional to lure the enemy on the teleporters and get them telefragged en masse

For 05, something like this neutralizes the map very quickly and safely. 

Spoiler

I'd actually recommend having like a bunch of imps and other monsters (mostly imps) start warping in at the beginning at some point. Level feels like it needs 100+ more monsters, coming from repopulations. It doesn't even have to increase the difficulty much, or at all -- it's mostly to address the map feeling essentially over after a very short period.

The method of crushing the cybers on the side ledge is fine, would be a bit annoying if you couldn't use infinite height there to press the switch. 

Edited by rdwpa

First 2 levels done, my thoughts so far.

Map01 - Nice detailing and good fun, my only criticism being the red key room texture choice.. its rather different from the rest of the map. However that is down to personal taste and didn't detract from the fun.

Map 02 - The detailing was interesting, map layout was also interesting. The central room was good, I like set piece areas that you return to. The red key/door trap was nasty, got trapped in the red door room with revenants and all the rest of the monsters, didn't get out quick enough! However did survive (just) and carried on and finished the map. Good fun again.

Will try the rest out soon, good work so far.

There's a showstopper bug in MAP03. If you enter the lift (sector #223) without lowering the bar first you'll get stuck there.

Also in MAP03 you can walk around the pillars (#507, #508, #509) in the south-west area and avoid the fights needed to lower them. But maybe this is something speed runners like. I took a demo of this. Dunno if I did this right, I haven't recorded demos in DooM for ages. Used PrBoom-Plus v2.5.1.5.

map03_pillars.lmp.zip

Thank you for all your comments. I'll try to fix those broken things in next time. Map05 was made in very short time. Because I have no ideas for this project :'\ 
(English skill is not enough, sry)