Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Conspiracy? Google banned in China.

Why did we ban Google?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Why did we ban Google?

• The capitalist lies must be stopped!
    • We are willing and able to do something. Please don\'t cut our fundings.
    • Chinese IT companies should be strengthened.

I'm moving to an island off the coast of China to open a black-market ISP. Anyone interested?

How much do you think people would pay to have access to shit their government blocks?

Yeah, China is almost as bad as America when it comes to stuff like this...I mean...OOPS!

/me is kidnapped by the CIA and beaten mercilessly

Like a lot of so called "communist states", China operates like one big corporation. Imagine Living in microsoft. Anyhow, it should be noted how many corporations in america pay money to yahoo and altavista (used to be the most used search engines) to get their stuff at the top of lists and block out other relevant information. Thats why google got so popular.

Most likely the leaders in China know what knowledge will cost them.

What happened to the Supercomputers that Clinton gave China? The ones that were supposed to be used for weather prediction (yeah right)?

Likey China blocked it for roughly the same reasons Yahoo and Alta Vista are payed by the corporations. For a communist country, China sure likes its backhanded deals.

As you might have heard China has recently banned Google.

This is not intended as a thread about how China is practicing information control since anybody should know that already .(Unlike the western countries China is pretty blatant about their censure policies).

Instead I am asking what the real motivation behind the move is.

1. Is it an attempt to restrict the flow of "false ideologies" from abroad?

2. Is it just a showoff from the Minitstry of Information Technology that they are willing and capable to do something? (Fundings could be in danger).

3. Is it in reality an attempt to help chinese internet companies by removing a rival from abroad? (Google has no affiliates in China but is still extremely popular).

This is not the first time Google gets in trouble for its cache feature, you know. But previously, sanity has won...

Little Faith said:

I'm just curious. How did these threads just merge into one?

Reverse mitosis?

IMJack said:

I'm moving to an island off the coast of China to open a black-market ISP. Anyone interested?

How much do you think people would pay to have access to shit their government blocks?

If the Commies catch you doing that, they will torture you, kill you, and make chitlins out of your intestines.

Little Faith said:

I'm just curious. How did these threads just merge into one?

IMJack did it. A little mod feature called "merge threads"

I can't imagine how Chinese people live upon internet without Google when it comes to doing researches. If they're still being so isolated, then I cannot understand what this article, a current event I just did on for my International Business class, says is true. I'm glad that H.K. is a totally different world =p

Arioch has been in U.S. for so long and this incident does not affect him at all. What would he know about this, eh?

It should also be noted that the FBI ATF and CIA have removed gigabytes of webspace for being "threats to national security." The new "Patriot Act" allows cops to install monitoring software on your computer without a warrant, as well as take websites down without giving any reason.

GREAT THREAD MERGING!
I meant to vote # 1 sorry

Xian said:

The new "Patriot Act" allows cops to install monitoring software on your computer without a warrant.

Pft, I have Netscape. Bring it on.