Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
R1ck

RIP Gibson Cakewalk.

I used to use SONAR Producer Edition (I think it was version 6) many years ago. I got annoyed with it, because the program was overly confusing and would sometimes throw errors seemingly at random. When I asked around on the Cakewalk forums back then, they would bitch about my computer not being up to spec (even though it clearly was) and how I shouldn't "complain" about it because the software was perfect.

Ever since then, I stopped using it and switched to Reason. Haven't looked back ever since, so I can't say I'll miss it. SONAR was my first "real" DAW though, so I will remember it for that.

While I don't use it, its still a shock just because first of all its still being used and second of all its so old its almost nostalgia.

I've never been a Sonar user, but this is pretty sad news. They were just bought out by Gibson a few years ago, and it always feels like an absurd joke when a company takes ownership of someone else's product only to kill and bury it a while later.

28 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

it always feels like an absurd joke when a company takes ownership of someone else's product only to kill and bury it a while later.

*looking at EA*

Too bad.  I was using Sonar 5 as my primary DAW back when it was current.  I don't think I could ever get over the clunky piano roll editing, which I think was more or less aimed as performance capture than a primary sequencing platform.

Noooo! I had a free trial of Sonar a few years ago and produced some FIRE on that DAW. I was considering getting it again soon. I had no issues with it, and even though it was complex to use, I was able to figure it out by watching a few YT videos. 

This was an inside joke between my friends and I, produced with Sonar. 

Edited by stru

I had been using Cakewalk since version 3.01, then moved on to Cakewalk Pro Audio and then Sonar some time in the early 2000s. Cakewalk was amazing in the early 90s because it ran rock-solid, I don't recall it ever crashing on me in Win95 or Win98. I remember Roland had acquired Cakewalk in the late 2000s which I thought was a good fit, I hadn't heard that Gibson had taken over. Gibson pretty much ruins everything they touch, in my opinion.