Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

What is American about Doom?

10 hours ago, Memfis said:

Can you see American influence in the game? What would be different if it was made in Europe, for example?

If it were made in Europe, the Doom Marine would look more like Serious Sam.

2 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

How can you look at the way I spelled "humour" and not notice that it was also a joke post?

Because it did come as the offended reaction of someone using British spelling, what with using British spelling and saying British spelling isn't a typo. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9 hours ago, yakfak said:

if it was made in europe there'd be more bubbletext, the enemies would all have big friendly smiles and the secret map would contain balloons and flowers you pick up for points

You mean that's not a big friendly smile on my pet Pinky's face?Uh oh......

(Sorry, couldn't resist) :D

The expression "American" is only interesting to US citizens. The rest of the world mostly sees it as a bad excuse to do heinous shit. Doom is American in the way that the protagonist is a "hero" and he uses guns to win.

It makes for a great game though!

the majority of Doom 2 takes place in the US, likely Texas

I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it. Any real American will understand that.

Technically if ID were a European company then it probably wouldn't of existed.

I came here to say "the guns" and leave, and now I'm being subjected to this.

17 hours ago, Liberation said:

Grateful it wasn't made by the Japanese, that would be truly horrific and probably vomit inducing-ly cute at the same time!    

If it was made by the Japanese, it would have never been released on PC. It would have been a console exclusive game, and probably played from a different perspective as well, seeing as the Japanese aren't typically that into FPS games.

14 hours ago, 40oz said:

fwiw doom2's tan textures, particularly the ones with the cobblestones, ornamental sconces and windows are certainly more European than American. I live near Philadelphia and New York City which is pretty 'old money' compared to the rest of the US and those types of decor aren't very common especially in the 90's or distant future which Doom is supposed to take place in. America is pretty industrial so you'd think you'd have a lot more concrete and rusted metal varieties to pick from.

In MA, structural and ornamental masonry is very common for pretty much everything except residential buildings. I often walk by car repair shops and plumbing supply companies etc. in slummy areas and admire the brickwork like the weirdo that I am. Then the religious and town government brickwork can be downright wondrous.

Pics or it didn't happen:

Spoiler

even the slummiest insane violent crime rate towns, Lynn, has endless examples

img_7124_5mb.jpg?format=1500w

The Rich-People-Towne of Boston, Back Bay, will make you feel like a worm

boston11-036.jpg

Old mill towns like Lowell:

boott-cotton-mills-lowell-massachusetts-

Or Fall River, another mill town / port town

1200px-Crescent_Mill_FR.jpg

I saw Gerald Dickens (great grandson of Charles) perform here:

1200px-Mechanics_Hall,_Worcester_MA.jpg

13 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

nothing more 'Murican than a double barreled shotgun.

I think that's the least American weapon in the game, considering IRL its mainly used by people who shoot the shit out of birds and people with red coats that chase foxes about the country side.

The pump action is defo American, don't think I've even seen one in the flesh.  

11 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

I came here to say "the guns" and leave, and now I'm being subjected to this.

Did you expect any better?

2 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

If it was made by the Japanese, it would have never been released on PC. It would have been a console exclusive game, and probably played from a different perspective as well, seeing as the Japanese aren't typically that into FPS games.

In reality you are correct, I was just considering the horror that was all.

3 hours ago, Vorpal said:

In MA, structural and ornamental masonry is very common for pretty much everything except residential buildings. I often walk by car repair shops and plumbing supply companies etc. in slummy areas and admire the brickwork like the weirdo that I am. Then the religious and town government brickwork can be downright wondrous.

Pics or it didn't happen:

Hide contents

even the slummiest insane violent crime rate towns, Lynn, has endless examples

img_7124_5mb.jpg?format=1500w

The Rich-People-Towne of Boston, Back Bay, will make you feel like a worm

boston11-036.jpg

Old mill towns like Lowell:

boott-cotton-mills-lowell-massachusetts-

Or Fall River, another mill town / port town

1200px-Crescent_Mill_FR.jpg

I saw Gerald Dickens (great grandson of Charles) perform here:

1200px-Mechanics_Hall,_Worcester_MA.jpg

We've got similar, and arguably, even more brick and stone based buildings in california as well. The scale of America ensures a large diversity of architectural style that encompasses all of doom 2's city design.

10 hours ago, Vorpal said:

In MA, structural and ornamental masonry is very common for pretty much everything except residential buildings.

Hmm... that actually does look very close. I guess I need to travel more :)

11 hours ago, Liberation said:

don't think I've even seen one in the flesh.

How is this possible? I guess I could see it happening though. I'v seen so fucking many. It's the main go to hunting and home protection armament that I can think most people use.

It's American in the sense that no problems are unsolvable as long as you have a large selection of armaments.

51 minutes ago, Liberation said:

@MrGlide British gun laws, I don't think pump action shotguns have ever been legal over here.

Pump action shotguns with a two-shell fixed magazine are legal on a shotgun certificate, and pump action shotguns with larger and/or detachable magazines are legal on a firearm certificate.

If Doom had been made by Cryo:

• It would have had kickass Adlib music by Stéphane Picq.
  • It would have had prerendered cutscenes that would have been absolutely gorgeous at the time.
  • Because of the above, it would have come exclusively on CD-ROM. Forget about downloading from a BBS.
  • Game mechanics would blend genres (probably action + RPG) but be rather shallow overall.

On 11/23/2017 at 6:03 PM, Gifty said:

Doom is a composite of 80s American pulp and "lowbrow" culture; things like Alien, Evil Dead, metal music and D&D. These are all quintessential American cultural touchstones of the 80s. 

A UK Doom would probably have been influenced way more by dark fantasy/scifi properties like 2000 AD or Games Workshop. 

This is the correct answer.

Also regarding Japan and first person games, I just want to remind you all that Japan gave us King's Field. In 1994.

On 11/23/2017 at 11:55 AM, tourniquet said:

But not if it had been made by Psygnosis.

Off topic here, but Destruction Derby was awesome. RIP Psygnosis...

4 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

Off topic here, but Destruction Derby was awesome. RIP Psygnosis...

Destruction derby 64 is a great game :)

On 11/23/2017 at 10:11 PM, RightField said:

The expression "American" is only interesting to US citizens. The rest of the world mostly sees it as a bad excuse to do heinous shit. Doom is American in the way that the protagonist is a "hero" and he uses guns to win.

It makes for a great game though!

The rest of the world discusses their opinions, using American technology, invented by Americans, trained in America. The rest of the world can discuss these things, in large part due to the sacrifice of Americans, spreading the American ideas of freedom of speech for all people to the rest of the world. And, guess what? America is made up of people from the rest of the world.

So enjoy being a self-hating hypocrite, spreading those dim-sighted observations of yours.

Thanks for the kind words.

People invented these things, people. Attributing it all to a nation doesn't really serve any other purpose than to increase nationalism, which is an archaic ideology that doesn't really serve the borderless global community the world is slowly turning into.

For the record, freedom of speech wasn't "invented" in America:

Freedom of speech and expression has a long history that predates modern international human rights instruments. It is thought that ancient Athens' democratic ideology of free speech may have emerged in the late 6th or early 5th century BC. The values of the Roman Republic included freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

Concepts of freedom of speech can be found in early human rights documents. England's Bill of Rights 1689 legally established the constitutional right of 'freedom of speech in Parliament' which is still in effect. The Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, adopted during the French Revolution in 1789, specifically affirmed freedom of speech as an inalienable right.

:)

4 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

"AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!"

Yeah, baby!

7 hours ago, RightField said:

Thanks for the kind words.

People invented these things, people. Attributing it all to a nation doesn't really serve any other purpose than to increase nationalism, which is an archaic ideology that doesn't really serve the borderless global community the world is slowly turning into.

Wow - that's a loaded sentence. Yes, people - American people. Attributing it all to a nation states the facts. Besides, you are the people attributing "American" to "

a bad excuse to do heinous shit." - that was your archaic ideology. Funny how you try to attribute that to me... And, if the world does turn into a "borderless global community", who's laws do you think will govern such a world?

7 hours ago, RightField said:

For the record, freedom of speech wasn't "invented" in America:

:)

No, I imagine the first man on Earth that could speak invented freedom of speech. But it was America that recognized freedom of speech as a God-given right, and it is America that has fought and will continue to fight for that right. And it is America, partially through the "borderless global community" that stands as a model for freedom of speech. America's success threatens those countries who would suppress their citizen's rights. That's why you find countries blocking search engines and websites. It's not to 'save their citizens from the ugliness of the internet'. It is to keep people from being able to experience freedoms that have been kept from them their whole lives.

Sure, America has been made to take responsibility for some ugly shit - we have bad politicians too. But America has done plenty of great stuff too - stuff that seems to get forgotten more and more each generation.