Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

The Joy of Mapping 5: Winter Weekend - FINAL.

I may stay warm in a building filled with lava.

Can't wait to see the theme... I'm open to anything, with the exception of something that's too holiday-influenced... It's too cheery for my grumpy old self, but I do like the idea of generic snow levels.

Edited by OldManRage

Oh right. Might as well join in. The whole thing nicely starts after NaNoWriMo. At first I thought about fighting for the ultimate destiny of episode end map honour, but then I agreed with end map being short and sweet, so I'd rather have my more expansive map be penultimate  or earlier in the episode.

This is shaping up to be a big one if the numbers on the Discord are any indicator, hoo boy

CNrVvP0.png

(Granted this includes pretty much all the students from all the previous sessions who haven't left the Discord, so the number may be overinflated, but still, thassa lotta students.)

On 11/24/2017 at 4:23 PM, rf` said:

I'd like to sign up for an E2 map. I haven't made a non hocusdoom map in a while.

Any reason for picking episode 2 in particular, considering the themes haven't been released yet? :P Go with whatever works for you, mate.

11 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Any reason for picking episode 2 in particular, considering the themes haven't been released yet? :P Go with whatever works for you, mate.

Probably just an initial misunderstanding.

I'd very much like to try my hand at mapping again.

Haven't done so in years, and if the tutors can help me get over my "stop mapping after 2 rooms" syndrome, hopefully it'll turn out great.

Can't wait for this. :)

I'd be down to make something. Are the mappers set in stone or can people drop out at any time?

Three days (exactly 72 hours as of this post) to go!

@beanz It's pretty casual, this, so you can enter or leave any time you like - if you end up dropping out, or without something at the end of the three days, it's no big loss. We take it easy with these sessions.

Since I have free time this weekend, I would like to join as well. Let's see if my slow mapping can do something fun in three days. :)

Happy December 1st! Welcome to ❄ The Joy of Mapping 5 - Winter Weekend. ❄
Time to make another megawad together.

Discord server - Join NOW to be part of this!

=====

HERE ARE YOUR THEMES!
Episode 1: Christmas bases! Snowy caverns, villages, mansions, wooden shacks, toy workshops. Common hazard: grey water and ice.
Episode 2: Swamps! Wetlands, mud flats, salt mines. Common hazard: nukage (damaging) / light-green "slimage" (non-damaging).
Episode 3: Undersea! Ocean bases, shipwrecks, sunken cathedrals. Common hazard: blue water.
Episode 4: Sky bases! Airships, hanging gardens, cloud factories. Common hazard: sky. :) (Non-insta-death damaging sky floors preferred.)

Texture packs for G/ZDoom: [Episode 1] [Episode 2] [Episode 3] [Episode 4]
Texture packs for Boom: [Episode 1] [Episode 2] [Episode 3] [Episode 4]

Optional "jimmytex" resource: [Download]
Miscellaneous stock texture edits mostly by yours truly.
Optional "zoontex" resource:  [Download]
A plethora of stock texture recolors in pretty much every palette range. Leans towards the "hellish caverns" aesthetic - no tech texture recolors are present.

=====

With the themes revealed:

• Please either make a post in this thread saying which episode you'd like to map for, OR (preferably) join my Discord and look in the #session-general channel for instructions on how to be a part of the session.
  • Please only choose one theme. You can always change your mind. If you want to make more than map, that's fine if you know you can do so in three days, but ideally we all should just be working on one at a time.
  • If you want to make an episode opener or finale, you'll have to join my Discord as soon as you can to get in quick and secure your place, as only eight slots in the project exist for these special levels, and they might all go straight away, since Discord is an instant chat medium, as opposed to a forum.

I'll tally up the posts in this thread in a short while, and add you all to the teams accordingly. You'll then all get access to unique text/voice channels on my Discord. Ideally the teams should be of similar size, so please be considerate when voting!

Time to kick back and map. Have fun, everyone! o/

Edited by Jimmy

Great themes. Looking forward to playing through this. As is my wont, I always look through posted texture wads for inspiration and just to drool (you added stuff to jimmytex since yesterday? when did you have time?). I saw a problem in both your seatex wads.  Your WFALL 5-8 are also in the wads as WFALL 1-4, but after the original 1-4, so the originals won't show up in the map when played. Texture1 also has WFALL 1-4 added twice, but the Patch table is correct. I know this would be caught at compile time, but I mention it to save frustration now.

I'd like to participate if there's still room left. Anything except skybases if there's room left on one of those teams.

24 hours gone! We have two days left of mapping. :)
http://itsalmo.st/#timetostopmappingjom5

The Discord has been very active and there is some very promising stuff being made. I'm excited for what we'll end up with!

For anyone yet to start their submission, 2 days is still a good amount of time to knock out a layout and get a decently-sized, functional map. As always, the tutors are on hand to help with anything. Let's get to work!

To put it somewhere it won't be lost, I'll opt in for testing when the compile is ready. Good effort, everyone! :D

Where can I download these to play?  I'm either too tired or too dumb to find the link

Thanks

EDIT:  i just saw Jimmys post a few up from mine....that explains it...i was too dumb to see that lol