Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

Does anyone have Icewind Dale 2?

If so, could you please please please send me (nick@frad.org) ANMTROL.BIF from the Data directory of CD1. My copy of the CD is scratched, and this is the only file that I can't manually copy to my hard drive :(

BTW, there's a file with the same name on CD2. I don't need that, just that one on CD1, which is 9.74 megs. Thanks in advance!

WAREZ

j/k

But someone was going to say it and better from me than from some retarded newb.

Heh, I'd send you a picture of the scratched CD, but I've lent my digital camera to someone :)

Which reminds me, I need to get it back sometime...

Have you tried taking it back and getting it exchanged for another one?

Well, that would explain why one of your CDs is scratched (surprised it wasn't more).

You know, I've been thinking about getting that game. I have all three Baldur's Gate games, but I don't have either Icewind Dale games, which seems just a bit odd.

I dunno, I've got several other imported games, Ultima IX and Warcraft 3 to name but two, and they're all fine.

NiGHTMARE said:

Heh, I'd send you a picture of the scratched CD, but I've lent my digital camera to someone :)

If you took the pic in high enough resolution, you could recover the lost file manually :D

Ditto. It's not as if I'm asking for warez (what good would a single file do me), I want a file so my legitimately purchased copy of a game will work.

NiGHTMARE said:

So that makes any Doom wad which contains an ID texture warez.

Nope, since, id /Activision allow that in DOOM WADs

Just because they haven't done anything about it doesn't mean they "allow it". Besides, some mods for Baldur's Gate 2 use bifs from Icewind Dale (bifs contain creature and item animations) and visa versa, and Bioware and Blackisle haven't done anything about that.

Yeah, what companies do or not is up to them. But I'm saying id Software (and Activision with them) allows that because they state it in the game's license.

According to the Doom license:

4. Copyright. The Software and all copyrights related thereto
(including all characters and other images generated by the Software
or depicted in the Software) are owned by ID and is protected by
United States copyright laws and international treaty provisions.
Id shall retain exclusive ownership and copyright in and to the
Software and all portions of the Software and you shall have no
ownership or other proprietary interest in such materials. You must
treat the Software like any other copyrighted material. You may not
otherwise reproduce, copy or disclose to others, in whole or in any
part, the Software. You may not copy the written materials
accompanying the Software. You agree to use your best efforts to
see that any user of the Software licensed hereunder complies with
this Agreement.

I assume textures would come under "other images depicted in the software".

Yes, they own all the artwork, but you can use parts of it (as is or as a base) as long as the (WAD) requires the IWAD to run. See section 2 of the collector's edition license (agreement), which is the latest one, I do not know which you looked at... you can see it when you install the thing, I do not think it comes in TXT or whatever else form. I quoted this section in a recent discussion about this not too long ago, in another thread.

The wads don't contain the Doom textures, they reference them from the iwad. If you extracted the original textures and then put them in your own wad file, passing them off as your own, that'd be a problem. Not to mention exceedingly dumb.

So I suppose, yes, any Doom wad that contains rather than references an id texture would be considered "warez." Not that anyone would care, but still...

fodders said:

Doom is open source.

The source code is free; the game data is proprietory. Technically reusing original doom textures is illegal.

Personally I consider asking for games like this, even though its only part of a game that is useless on its own, to be warez. Sorry nick :(

Of course I'm not a moderator so whatever.

Back to the original topic...

Warez or not, he has the original files. However, some of them (that .bif file might not be the only one you need) are on a damaged portion of the CD and cannot be copied.

I only know of one way to retrieve them, and it may take a while. Email the game creators and maybe they will send you a replacement file. They will probably ask for proof that you actually own the CD, but that shouldn't be a problem. The only problem I see is the usual delays, assuming they even answer your emails.

Then again, it just might be possible for someone could either repair the damage or retrieve the data for you, but that might take just as long, and be costlier.

IMJack said:

The wads don't contain the Doom textures, they reference them from the iwad.

I had earlier said:

So that makes any Doom wad which CONTAINS an ID texture warez.

[IMJACK] Which is why I said:
So I suppose, yes, any Doom wad that contains rather than references an id texture would be considered "warez." Not that anyone would care, but still...
I don't want to make a new, off-topic post on the subject, so nya. :P [/IMJACK]

fraggle said:

Personally I consider asking for games like this, even though its only part of a game that is useless on its own

Well, as I already said, Blackisle doesn't seem to mind people distributing unmodified bif files. The Darkest Day add-on for Baldur's Gate 2, which has a tonne of bif files from the original Icewind Dale, was even distributed on magazine CDs.

myk said:

IMJack, NiGHTMARE, fraggle, well my lawyers have finally uncovered the old thread, you can draw your conclusions...

I guess you're right, but hold on... no obscene creations? Doesn't that make andrewb2.wad illegal? ;)

People could say,(and do) "I own Doom2, I just corrupted the Doom2.wad, can someone send it to me?" Doom2.wad is, also, only 1 file.

fodders said:

People could say,(and do) "I own Doom2, I just corrupted the Doom2.wad, can someone send it to me?" Doom2.wad is, also, only 1 file.

Then they could re-install it if their disc isn't fucked up.

fodders said:

Yes but it's the only file you need seeing as how there's all those source ports and all.

Nightmare's asking for that one specific file may go against the letter of the law, but not the spirit of the law.

Besides if he really does own the cd (and I believe him) then it could be argued he's not even going against the letter of the law as he's legally purchased a license and is entitled (by law) to use that file.