Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Misty

Pigeon Speedmapping 3 -- 50 Christmas Pigeons(idgames link in the first post)

28 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

The lower right Cybie room is barely out of bounds I believe, and could be "tucked in" to put it into the boundary; it's 3072x in spirit, but I it barely misses the mark because I rushed the final room.  For txt file in this case, I guess you could scrub that one theme off and just go with the other two themes:

"Purple Textures" and "author signature" or whatever.

edit: to clarify, I think it's best to leave the map as is, version 4

Actually, I'll give you an apology. Don't edit anything.....I screwed up one of the themes.

@leodoom85 also for further clarification in case I was ambiguous, I meant for my entry's themes alone, w.r.t the "each mapper must follow at least one theme" rule.  Just in case what I said sounded like a back-handed disrespectful sarcasm towards the themes in general to act as if I was above them.  I had no problem with the themes.

I just checked, and my map does in fact stick out by 128 units too far in the southeast, and there's also a secret nub in the northwest that technically goes out of bounds too, so my map only adheres to the bonus theme and the textures theme.  Thankfully, it adheres to the minimum theme requirements so still technically fits within the project's rules.

This is my first impression of the maps submitted so far.....I'll also put my maps (I only released in Discord and forgot to do it here) here for you guys to be the judge of that. (I finished those maps in time though)

Spoiler

Pigeon Speedmapping Session 3 first impressions and bugs

Spie812
- The map looks nice despiting that there are no monsters. You used all themes for it. I doubt that the map can be playable in the current start but it can be modified by adding more areas.
That message though lol.....
- No bugs found so far

NoisyVelvet
- It's a nice icy map with some base elements. The beginning was easy enough due of the berserk pack which can save lots of ammo. Lots of health too, which is a refreshing idea because of the next part of the map. The 2 last areas were hard and nice use of traps to give you a nasty surprise. The two secrets were really helpful, though the invul sphere is a really tricky one to get it. Hardest last area....good stuff man.
- There is a couple of revenants in the first trap before the blue bars that are deaf and those will wake up if you attack or get close to them...apart from that, no more bugs

A2Rob
- The map was cool to play. The start is already hectic with imps, fatsos, chaingunners and revenants waiting for you. Also....nazis in the map? never expected that, really...Also, the texture used for the rocket thing are from your own? Neat touch.....Good and fun map man. And forgot to say that the music was spot on...
- No bugs spotted

Forli
- Quite a hard map but not too much as expected, which is a nice breeze coming from you. Even more nazis are there to stop you but it's just some annoyance to take care of. As usual from your style of gameplay, the traps are quite hard to handle. The berserk is once again a lifesaver because of saving ammo. The blue key crusher/trap area was the fun part of your map....quite challenging thanks to the timed voodoo script...The music was also a good one...
- No bugs found but, for advanced sourceports, it can break some sequences or get stuck....because of jumping...

Scotty
- Short and fun map with some crushers and radioactive sreas to make the things harder. Good traps and unexpected situations like the exit part. Music was good too and some lifts are tricky to get on like the crusher area and that switch that lowers the barriers to that SSG...maybe it can have more time for the player to be in there and not getting too much damage due of the liquid...
- No bugs found

JudgeDredd
- Hardest map so far. Tight ammo and health, just the necessary thing for the monsters and I had to rely on infighting. Also, short-sized but the difficulty on the map is enough for the player to spend a lot of time to apply some strategies. Two cybies at the end? that took some time to kill them and the BFG was to close to the second cybie and it's risky, so the player will have to rely on saves to get it right.
- No major bugs so far

Walter Confetti
- This map will go to the beginning for sure. Nice map for an intro, quick and easy. No major threats than zombies and imps. The secret though, was well hidden. 
- Talking about secrets, one of the sides of the secret door where the secret switch is located, is unpegged. Apart for that, it's clean...

therektafire
- Long map with an important area which concentrates most of the monsters. Infighting is needed sometimes to not ending up without ammo. And the cybie was in a place that I wasn't expecting to appear...at all...and the plasma gun is after encountering him. That's kinda strange and there's also too much space that can be used for other things...
- None so far...for the bugs

Mysterious Haruko
- The map looks simple and nice. The music is ok for this one. Quick progression that it'll be demonstrated later when the player picks up the red key and....everything will break loose. That was the hardest part of the map... cacos, revenants, HKs, archie and cybie will kill you. You need to rely on the help of the cybie to clear things up. There's also few health too but the ammo was fine. Hard map overall...
- Found some issues for mancubi and HKs revealing because there's no action to raise floors and also no action for teleportation in the pit.

First map

Map name: Arch Crusher
Replace?: Map01

Build time: 3 hours

Music: Yes, from Hexen 2

File: archcrsh.zip

Second map

Map name: Tricky Step

Replace?:Map02

Build time: 3 hours
Music: None yet (it has D_STALKS for now)

File: trikstep.zip

Isn't this going to use doomxmas.wad?

That's why I have nazis on my map, they get replaced by some funny looking dwarf thing.

It will be replaced. Maybe he didn't load main file while tested people wads. I mean that one christmassy.

I can't ask him now, because he's not online.

@leodoom85 my map was technically not 100% finished when I submitted it because I did not have enough time to complete the texturing and thing placement which is why the 2nd half of the map feels kind of strange (also why it is way more simple architecturally than 1st half), if I had the ability to fix those things I would have today but I never do on Sundays :( So I will only have some time tomorrow to fix it, hopefully i will be able to do so in time

3 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Map name: Arch Crusher

The name is solely for the Arch-vile in the cage? Seems legit :D

Jokes aside, I like the map. Is there any chance those "Blue Key" messages would be replaced by "Purple Key" messages?

Wishing everyone a dovely pidgy christmas and upcoming 25th anniversary of Doom in 2018.

Here is a pigeon playing the piano, I wonder how good he'd be at mapping?

PigART_2.jpg

@NaZaI did played your map but I forgot to put it in the review and besides, I left some comments in the server.

@ForliI used only the base resource pack, not both...

@GarrettChan Maybe with DeHacked? idk

@pcorf LOL.....maybe we can use that image as the interpic/ending pic

Edited by leodoom85 : idk why the 2 last mentions didn't worked....heh

Update time!!!

First map: Added coop players and items only.

Second map: Same as first map and added music.

Edit: Forgot to put that in both maps, difficulty settings were also added and my review about the first impression was played in UV...

archcrsh.zip

trikstep.zip

Edited by leodoom85

Today, at evening I'll start compile first beta compilation. I waited, because I wanted that mappers would submit quick bugfixes if they're noticed issues in their maps. If someone wants propose map orders, they're free to do this. From easiest maps to hardest maps. 

Bugfixes are still encouraged.

@Spie812 are you still sure that I shouldn't include your map? Unless, you joked, which is understandable.  I'm still giving time to include everything what mappers missed. Anyway, it's upon you. I won't mind if you release this speed map outside of time frame as your solo map. 

I will update my map before the evening donut worry. We're in a similar timezone anyway. 

Well, including Naza's map and my maps, this set has 12 maps so far...which is not bad. Me and Haruko will see the order of the maps and also, I need you guys to test my maps because I need to know that everything is in order.

Map updated!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ant9lar75wo7jdh/pigeonmap-v2.wad

Changes:
- name and music added (see original post)
- replaced unnecessary armor bonuses with health bonuses
- edited the pillar area to the south-east to make it easier for all monsters to see you
- removed unnecessary teleport destinations
- raised part of the ice and lowered the window lip to let the Cybie shoot you through the window
- slightly rearranged the final room to make grabbing the BFG easier

- fixed wrong ceiling/floor textures in exit room

Ok, a small update to make the lift a little wider in the damaging floor area based on leo's feedback (thanks!).

13 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Maybe with DeHacked? idk

It seems many WAD did change the messages without the requirement of loading a dehacked, but I'm not sure whether this must be done with dehacked or not.

I'm pretty new in dehacked stuff, so I'll check what I can do. It seems christmas wad had dehacked lump inside, so maybe I'll replace old entries with new one. 

Oh no, I wasn't able to get the time to make fixes for my map until now :( Could you update the compilation when I complete them and put the updated version up?

Last update of my second map

• Fixed teleportation for last group of monsters and cybie
  • Added blu......I mean, purple armor
  • Made the center round island a bit bigger because the purple key card was obtainable even with the last group of bars not lowered.
  • Ammo quantity was slightly lowered for more balance

And that's it...enjoy!!!

trikstep.zip

2 minutes ago, therektafire said:

Oh no, I wasn't able to get the time to make fixes for my map until now :( Could you update the compilation when I complete them and put the updated version up?

I didn't start yet, but I'll start do this shortly after I'll test some stuff to be sure if I didn't screw up dehacked entries. 

Ok so here is an update to my map. Changes include:

*Finished the texturing and (mostly) the enemy placement

*Added a big Christmas tree to the last area with some "decorations" on it and some "presents" underneath it :D

*Added a few more enemies to the first fight

*Added a custom midi (the DOTBL2 track from Valiant, not sure what the actual name or author is sadly, I just looked in Glaices wad music compilation again and found a song I liked :D)

trf_pigeon3_2.zip

Well here is another update to my map (I actually made the changes a few hours ago but just now got to posting them) Here are thr changes:

*Actually finally finished the texturing and thing placement this time, I swear :D

*added a secret area with signature in it (and copyright date since I am an overachiever like that :])

trf_pigeon3_3.zip

Another lucky dude. Good thing that I didn't post first beta yet(due some problems with textures, which I'm trying to fix), so I'll include your bugfix in compilation. 

Edited by Myst.Haruko

Alright folks, time for a public beta. There are things that we still need to do, like the names and the order of the maps but...I played the whole mapset and it shouldn't be a problem to do it in one setting by now. But most of the things are done, so...without further ado, the info and link.
Also, before I forgot...I need you guys for some more feedback and all of the bugs will be squashed when we release the second and probably last compilation!!!

Spoiler

Public beta V.1 credits

Mappers: Myst. Haruko, leodoom85, Walter Confetti, Spie812, Forli, NoisyVelvet, A2Rob, JudgeDeadd, Scotty, therektafire and NaZa. 

Texture packs used: cc4-tex by esselfortium, Zoon-tex by Jimmy and doomxmas wad by various authors.

Titlepic made by leodoom85 and Interpic made by Paul Corfiatis (pcorf, thanks man :D)

The link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lk0uyj8xgvkaaes/pigeon03(beta)_V1.zip?dl=1

Enjoy!!!

Error upon loading in prBoom+: bad cycle from ZFBLAVA1 to ZFBLAVA4. Problem is that ZFBLAVA2 to ZFBLAVA4 aren't included among the resources, which can happen when you remove unused textures from a wad in SLADE3 improperly. This is advertised as a cl9 project, so . . . 

*Before anyone mentions that it runs in prB+ with cc4-tex.wad, that gets rid of the ZFBLAVA problem by forcing prBoom+ to read cc4tex.wad's TEXTURE1 lump instead of the one inside the wad itself, so you'll be greeted by lots of HOMs in any maps where non-cc4tex custom textures are used.

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

Error upon loading in prBoom+: bad cycle from ZFBLAVA1 to ZFBLAVA4. Problem is that ZFBLAVA2 to ZFBLAVA4 aren't included among the resources, which can happen when you remove unused textures from a wad in SLADE3 improperly. This is advertised as a cl9 project, so . . . 

*Before anyone mentions that it runs in prB+ with cc4-tex.wad, that gets rid of the ZFBLAVA problem by forcing prBoom+ to read cc4tex.wad's TEXTURE1 lump instead of the one inside the wad itself, so you'll be greeted by lots of HOMs in any maps where non-cc4tex custom textures are used.

Yes this is a fatal error.