Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Misty

Pigeon Speedmapping 3 -- 50 Christmas Pigeons(idgames link in the first post)

2 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Actually, change the title to "Ronald the Blue-Horned Cybie" or scrap the Ronald if it doesn't fit. 

The name fits :D

Ok, I'll do the changes.

@NoisyVelvetWhat about Santa's Drilling Station for a name change?

Alright folks. This is the last major update before updating properly to IDGames. As always, finding bugs and squash them is appreciated, so let us know about it.

Enjoy!!!

EDIT: Last addition for the pickup message of the blue armor in DeHacked

The link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccvvudvz82mdem1/pigeon03 beta_v1.3.zip?dl=1

Edited by leodoom85 : Now it should be it....

As nobody said anything about this beta, I'm counting this as final version and I'll try upload it idgames at this evening or night. 

2 hours ago, lirui1001 said:

There is a fatal bug in map03: one monster cannot teleport in, preventing you from getting UV Max.

I just checked it in PrBoom+, played 2 times and it spawned all of them. It happens randomly as some sort of bad luck, I guess......as the author of the map, I made sure that all monsters can spawn.

Well, I've got unfortunate power outage yesterday night, so I'll upload this today. Sorry for another small delay.

One almost last thing. I hope this video will explain why pigeon03beta_v1.1 doesn't exist outside of plane.

4 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

My whole world collapsed

It wasn't intentional. I was scared too when I realised what I did here. 

Honestly I'm a bit out of the loop regarding Doom community projects, so this whole Pigeon Speedmapping thing was new for me, but playing through the maps of this set were a nice Christmas experience.

The general problem you helped to solve is that I've played through all major, noteworthy (AND Boom-compatible) mapsets several times. H2H-Xmas, Frozen Time, NORDHELL (heck I actually made an Xmas map based on its texture set), 32-in-24-Hamburglar-stole-Xmas, both Whitemare, and for a while, I couldn't find anything else.

But this one was definitely cool.Thanks for doing it, and merry Christmas!

1 hour ago, Katamori said:

Honestly I'm a bit out of the loop regarding Doom community projects, so this whole Pigeon Speedmapping thing was new for me, but playing through the maps of this set were a nice Christmas experience.

The general problem you helped to solve is that I've played through all major, noteworthy (AND Boom-compatible) mapsets several times. H2H-Xmas, Frozen Time, NORDHELL (heck I actually made an Xmas map based on its texture set), 32-in-24-Hamburglar-stole-Xmas, both Whitemare, and for a while, I couldn't find anything else.

But this one was definitely cool.Thanks for doing it, and merry Christmas!

Glad that you liked it. We tried to put all of our efforts to make a nice mapset preserving (and changing some sprites too) the christmas feel to it.

There is a bug with MAPINFO - the level's TitlePatch property is not set, so in ZDoom, the name on intermission screen doesn't have the author's name.

Don't worry that much, if it will be accepted or rejected, I'll push update on it. Heh, I how I could forget about this. 

@Walter confetti @Scotty @A2Rob Some random UV Max runs:

Map01 UV Max in 1:00-ps0301-100.zip

Map02 UV Max in 2:14-ps0302-214.zip

Well, since one theme of this session is using crushers, this map is a good one except that you only have two rockets in this map.

Also the autoaim is broken for the last imp. Lame.

Map04 UV Max in 2:20-ps0304-220.zip

The platform where you should shoot the purple wall to lower the soulsphere is the most annoying part of this map because the stairs are too narrow.

Also some fatal bugs preventing you from getting UV Max still persist.

Map03&05: some monsters still cannot spawn and teleport in. I have tested map03 20+ times and map05 10+ times in PrBoom+, and each time there are some enemies (about 1-2) not spawning. Also the non-spawning enemies are different each time I play these maps.

Map07: it is impossible to get 100% secrets because three secrets cannot be revealed without IDCLIP cheat. The 3 secrets are tagged on the teleporters.

PS: The secrets in map07 are much like E4M3 of the Ultimate Doom. 

Edited by lirui1001

38 minutes ago, lirui1001 said:

Map03&05: some monsters still cannot spawn and teleport in. I have tested map03 20+ times and map05 10+ times in PrBoom+, and each time there are some enemies (about 1-2) not spawning. Also the non-spawning enemies are different each time I play these maps.

Curious that those are my maps. Well, I'm recording all maps in Zandronum (to upload it to YT) and in both maps, I got 100% kills. I wonder why you still have that issue when I don't have it. For the teleporters, I put two lines in case that one fails. I'll check it out later...

19 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Curious that those are my maps. Well, I'm recording all maps in Zandronum (to upload it to YT) and in both maps, I got 100% kills. I wonder why you still have that issue when I don't have it. For the teleporters, I put two lines in case that one fails. I'll check it out later...

Test map03 more times in GZDoom v3.2.4:

1st attempt: 2 enemies not spawned.

2nd attempt: all enemies spawned.

3rd attempt: 4 enemies not spawned.

4th attempt: 1 enemy not spawned.

5th attempt: 1 enemy not spawned.

6th attempt: 1 enemy not spawned.

7th attempt: 2 enemies not spawned.

8th attempt: 2 enemies not spawned.

9th attempt: all enemies spawned.

10th attempt: 2 enemies not spawned.

Successful rate: 2/10. Very low.

Edited by lirui1001

13 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

It's probably the case that Lirui is playing more aggressively, resulting in monsters hanging around and blocking the spots a lot more frequently, and that you are not speedrunning them.

In either case, the doubled lines don't do anything. I'll use map05 as an example. Scrollers move monsters at a rate of 35 units per second for every 32 units of length of the scrolling action. So for a 152-unit-long scrolling linedef, 152/32 = 4.75, and 4.75*35 = 166.25 units per second once fully accelerated. The two teleport lines are 8 units apart, so the second line is crossed about 5% of a second after the first one. So if a monster is blocking the spot the first time it'll basically always be blocking it the second time. 

Spacing out the lines such that they are reached at least a second apart would have been helpful as a "quick fix" -- as well as adding more lines -- but that still isn't foolproof, because chaingunners and arachnotrons can squat on a spot while firing repeatedly, and more importantly, groups of infighting monsters can stay on a spot for a long time. 

For it to be truly foolproof, purely scrolling teleporters also need to 'loop', meaning there needs to be a teleport line at the very end that sends the monster back to the front of the scroller for another opportunity to teleport -- as many times as is needed. For that, one of the WR Teleport To Line with Same Tag actions, with a "destination" line at the monster's original location, would work very efficiently (better than the conventional WR Teleports, which require you to also set up new sectors and destinations, so are a lot more time-consuming). 

Even that can be understandably time-consuming in a speedmap, so I'd recommend opening up a sound propagation method for the teleport closets at some later stage in the map (perhaps the last step prior to exiting), so that monsters that fail to scroll in can be awoken and show up.

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

It's probably the case that Lirui is playing more aggressively, resulting in monsters hanging around and blocking the spots a lot more frequently, and that you are not speedrunning them.

In either case, the doubled lines don't do anything. I'll use map05 as an example. Scrollers move monsters at a rate of 35 units per second for every 32 units of length of the scrolling action. So for a 152-unit-long scrolling linedef, 152/32 = 4.75, and 4.75*35 = 166.25 units per second once fully accelerated. The two teleport lines are 8 units apart, so the second line is crossed about 5% of a second after the first one. So if a monster is blocking the spot the first time it'll basically always be blocking it the second time. 

Spacing out the lines such that they are reached at least a second apart would have been helpful as a "quick fix" -- as well as adding more lines -- but that still isn't foolproof, because chaingunners and arachnotrons can squat on a spot while firing repeatedly, and more importantly, groups of infighting monsters can stay on a spot for a long time. 

For it to be truly foolproof, purely scrolling teleporters also need to 'loop', meaning there needs to be a teleport line at the very end that sends the monster back to the front of the scroller for another opportunity to teleport -- as many times as is needed. For that, one of the WR Teleport To Line with Same Tag actions, with a "destination" line at the monster's original location, would work very efficiently (better than the conventional WR Teleports, which require you to also set up new sectors and destinations, so are a lot more time-consuming). 

Even that can be understandably time-consuming in a speedmap, so I'd recommend opening up a sound propagation method for the teleport closets at some later stage in the map (perhaps the last step prior to exiting), so that monsters that fail to scroll in can be awoken and show up.

I have no time for math stuff. But I'll do the fixes right away!!!
Count on it :)

Alright. @rdwpaand @lirui1001, I fixed the issue and, I played each map 10 times (5 in PrB+ and 5 in Zandronum) and I got 100% kills confirmed. So that's good news for both of you (I tried to finish the maps as quick as possible too). I also reduced the amount of secrets of therektafire's map because some of them can't be triggered.

One more important thing. I need you guys to keep checking the maps because me and Myst. Haruko wants to update the wad for tomorrow. We'll fix all of that if any new bug is encountered, so please, let us know and thanks in advance. You guys rocks :)

Map04 UV Max in 1:58

ps0304-158.zip

Don't really like the secret switch due to the narrow staircase. Overall it's a very fun map to run through. The start is kind of tough because there are a lot of hitscanners surrounding you. Those Nazis are in a kind-of-strange sprite, so you're not easy to see them. There are a lot of rockets for you to waste in this map :D

PS: I didn't use the updated WAD, and I hope this doesn't desync after the update.

BTW, happy new year to everyone. Also, congrats for Myst. Haruko and leodoom successfully holding the mapping session :)

Alright people. I just want say that pigeon04 will happen at february. It's not because I'm lazy or something like that to host it, it's because for serious personal reasons, which I can't tell in forum. I didn't decide date yet(I'm aiming at the start of the month, because february is the shortest month in the year) but I hope it won't get mishmashed with other speedmapping sessions, unless for unexpected collab for that month. So yeah, pigeons are taking small break until the next month.