Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

How would I make this in UMDF, using GZDoom Builder?

Question

I was thinking about how to make different structures using 3D floors, and tried to imagine how I would construct a propane tank like the one in the picture. The legs and cylindrical cap can be simplified and are thus irrelevant. The real challenge (and this is related to my question in the misc. questions about editing thread about making spherical objects) is, how does one create the half-dome on either side of the tank, and then connect them with a tube shape in between? I would ideally want to use as few sectors as possible.

propane.jpg

13 answers to this question

You've picked one of the more complex geometric shapes to recreate using sectors. As you pointed out, the hemispherical ends are the real challenge. To get the smoothness you'll need to create many, many in-game sectors and almost as many control sectors.

You can consider using a model, instead. Here are a couple of examples; the first uses models to eliminate the tedium of creating multitudes of sector-based shapes; the second uses sectors to create simpler 3D shapes.

PdMap2c.jpg

PdMap1f.jpg

Honestly, @ReX, the second screenshot is totally efficient. The problem I've been having is trying to make the sort of micro-adjustments necessary to pull it off. I can make bridges, archways, etc., but a tank is much more challenging. I'm not a 3D modeler so I wonder if there's a relatively simple way to do it with 3D floors. What's the mod in the second shot?

25 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

The problem I've been having is trying to make the sort of micro-adjustments necessary to pull it off.

That's precisely the problem when you're dealing with dozens of sectors. However, once you've set up one end of the tank, it's a simple task to copy-paste-rotate 180 degrees. I can do a simple horizontally-oriented hemisphere for you, but unless I put a butt-load of effort, it will not be properly rounded, and won't do you much good.

Another reason to use models instead of 3D sectors for this type of construct is that models can be easily scaled up or down in size; 3D sector-based constructs involving slopes will have to be manually adjusted (and re-adjusted, and re-adjusted, et. al). Therefore, if you need tanks with varying sizes, the amount of work to use 3D sectors would be mind-numbingly horrendous.

25 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I'm not a 3D modeler so I wonder if there's a relatively simple way to do it with 3D floors.

The way (e.g., md2) models are created is with vertices in the virtual editing space. Therefore, the vertices can be manually moved around with relative ease to get the desired shape. 3D floors require in-game sectors and control sectors that (generally) need to be parallel to each other, and the slopes added to the control sector. Unfortunately, the model-creation vertex method is not available for 3D sectors.

41 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

What's the mod in the second shot?

Paranoid for GZDooM

15 hours ago, GoatLord said:

If I wanted to make simple 3D models for Doom, what would be a good program to use?

Milkshape is a free program for low-polygon shapes. It will help you to create the basic shape of the hemispheres, but they will probably not be smooth.

Misfit Cubed is another free, low-poly modeling program.

20 hours ago, GoatLord said:

If I wanted to make simple 3D models for Doom, what would be a good program to use?

While there are programs like Milkshape and Misfit Cubed, sooner or later , if you are going

to make a lot of models, you will find Blender indispensable.

23 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

... you will find Blender indispensable.

D'oh! I knew I was forgetting an important tool.

Edited by ReX : Added more information.