Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AleksB

New Doom 2 DW Megawad Project

Well there are probably missing textures because you didn't load it with cc4 tex, I didn't add it to the wad itself, I added it as an external resource for now because I don't know how many of the textures from there I'll actually end up using so I just have it using them externally for development and testing, they will probably all be included when and if I get done with it

2 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Have there been any additional updates for this project? Is the deadline still in January?

Sorry Ive been super crazy with work.  There have not been and Im looking to extend the deadline.  I made some maps for this project already and im going to start making more.  I would like to revive this project if still interested.  Im going to re-write the OP to make it more appealing and set some ground rules.

On 11/28/2017 at 3:13 PM, AleksB said:

1) When you ask for a map slot, let me know what theme you want to do.  I.E Moon base, Hell, Caverns, Library etc...

2) No monster limit, but dont go over board with like 500 lol

3) No limit on themes.  Meaning more then one person can have the same theme, which is heavily encouraged!

4) 3D slopes, Bridges and other GZdoom features are ALLOWED.  Whats not allowed is jumping and crouching.

5) Collaborations are encouraged.

6) I would like the maps to be vanilla style.  But you have other idea in mind, post them or pm me and we can discuss further.

7)  Your maps dont have to be from a pistol start.  I made the first 2 maps already so you can make your maps anyway you want

8) Custom music is allowed as long as its not mp3 or any copy write material

9) Custom textures are not allowed, im sorry.  The point of this is to make it a doom 2 style megawad.  So default textures only please. BUT, if its small things like lights, walls with hellish demons on them, that kinda thing, then pm me and we will talk about it.  Only textures allowed are doom, doom 2, tnt and plutonia.  If you use those, please include them in the wad file.

10) ACS scripting is allowed

11) If you choose the maps that have the secret levels in them, you must have an exit for the secret level.

12) ports allowed are zdoom, gzdoom, boom, skulltag, zandronum.  But mind you, they all must work for all those ports without any issues.  So all the wads must work for all of the ports..

13) submit the links via ZIP.  Post them here for updates but you can pm me the final draft or email me. 

14) PUZZLE SOLVING MAPS ARE ENCOURAGED!

Deadline:

I originally wanted the deadline to be by the end of january, but that is unrealistic.  I want to do a 32 level megawad and that cant happen by the end of january.  SO I was thinking maybe march april ish?  Let me know what you guys think.  Im open to any suggestions.  You cant have quality if your rushed.

MAP01: AleksB- Abandoned mars base

MAP 02: AleksB Sewer Mine

MAP 03:

MAP 04:

MAP 05:

MAP 06:

MAP 07:

MAP 08:

MAP 09:

MAP 10:

MAP 11:

MAP 12:

MAP 13:

MAP 14:

MAP 15:

MAP 16:

MAP 17:

MAP 18:

MAP 19:

MAP 20:

MAP 21:

MAP 22:

MAP 23:

MAP 24:

MAP 25:

MAP 26:

MAP 27:

MAP 28:

MAP 29:

MAP 30:

MAP 31:

MAP 32:

I like the idea of a vanilla Doom 2 megawad (as I've said before). Given that, I have a few thoughts:

• In point 6, you state that you would like the levels to be vanilla style, but in point 4 you allow GZDoom features and in point 10 you allow for scripting.
  • In point 7, you state that it's OK for the level to be virtually impossible to beat from a pistol start. If that's the case, then it would be helpful to know what kind of minimum starting weaponry you need to give someone a reasonable chance of finishing it, if for no other reason than playtesting purposes.
    • Also, what happens if the player dies on the level and then has to restart the level? They're essentially screwed.
  • I suggest April 30 for the deadline. That doesn't seem unreasonable, based on some of the other CP's here.
  • Is your idea to have a random assortment of 32 maps or do you want to maintain some sort of thematic progression (for example, Doom 2's progression was essentially Star Base -> City -> Hell)?

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

In point 6, you state that you would like the levels to be vanilla style, but in point 4 you allow GZDoom features and in point 10 you allow for scripting.

Yes, i would like the maps to be vanilla style and game play, but you can make a doom 2 vanilla style map, with gzdoom features.  so 3d floors, slopes and bridges are okay.

• In point 7, you state that it's OK for the level to be virtually impossible to beat from a pistol start. If that's the case, then it would be helpful to know what kind of minimum starting weaponry you need to give someone a reasonable chance of finishing it, if for no other reason than playtesting purposes.
    • Also, what happens if the player dies on the level and then has to restart the level? They're essentially screwed.
  • I suggest April 30 for the deadline. That doesn't seem unreasonable, based on some of the other CP's here.
  • Is your idea to have a random assortment of 32 maps or do you want to maintain some sort of thematic progression (for example, Doom 2's progression was essentially Star Base -> City -> Hell)?

- The other levels should be able to start with the SSG or chaingun and what have you.  You can make a map with a pistol start if youd like, thats okay.

-I like that deadline.  Thats far enough out.  I will update the OP with that deadline

- I would like to have the same type of progression as Doom 2 but I will change it up a bit.  Like i want it to have the same progression, but maybe Ill put a base level or 2 in the middle of the megawad but idk how that will all play out yet.

I think monster limits being "overboard" isn't defined by an absolute number - as map layout, size, and monster types must be taken into consideration.

A map the size of E1M1 with 250 is going to be cramped, and packed.

A map the size of Holy Hell and 1000 is very lightly densed. 

It all boils down down to a bunch of factors.

1 hour ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

I think monster limits being "overboard" isn't defined by an absolute number - as map layout, size, and monster types must be taken into consideration.

A map the size of E1M1 with 250 is going to be cramped, and packed.

A map the size of Holy Hell and 1000 is very lightly densed. 

It all boils down down to a bunch of factors.

You hit the nail right on the head

There hasn't been any activity on this thread since mid-December. What is the status of this project?

On 1/5/2018 at 9:04 AM, Pegleg said:

There hasn't been any activity on this thread since mid-December. What is the status of this project?

Im sorry for no updates recently.  I had just moved back to chicago from california and the move was a nightmare and ive been dealing with alot of shit.  Im not sure I have the time to dedicate to this anymore, which I really hope I can because I wanna host one of these projects, but I have so much on my plate right now, idk if I can do this justice.  I can try my best to make this work, but life is in the way atm, and I hope people understand.  I would be open to passing this off to someone who wants to persue it.  If not, once things settle down, I could start a new one.  Again I do apologize to everyone for not being verbal with everything.