Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

Headphone recommendations?

My current headphones are starting to piss me off. Suggest some good headphones that:

• Have great sound clarity
  • Are comfortable around the ears and head
  • Don't make ears all sweaty
  • Aren't expensive (less than $100 preferred, less than $50 even better)
  • Built-in mic would be nice but not required
  • Adjustable to fit my huge head
  • Wired preferred, with a long wire
  • No drivers required, PnP please

Sony MDR-7506 are my preferred over-the-ear headphones, but they're right about the $100 mark and no mic.  They're essentially studio headphones.  Otherwise my next favorite are honestly some Sony MDREX15LP earbuds for $10.

I use a Kingston Hyperx Cloud II. Pretty much fit all of your requirements.

It may seem stupid, but I bought Audio Technica's M30X headphones 1 or 2 years ago and I am proud of them.

They are monitor headphones, so expect some good sound quality and they costed 75 euros when I got them (might be a bit overkill to have monitor headphones for music and games, but they are from the lower-end headphones in the series, which means that they can be really effective for everyday use).

The first day I wore them, I felt like my head was being crushed, which happens to me with headphones, because they are new and they have to be bent a bit from my head. After that day however, they became really comfy and they fit on my big head perfectly, so I think they can fit practically with anyone's head. And the build quality is great. When you hold them, you know that they have some weight on them, though once you wear them, they feel lightweight.

My ears got sweaty with them a few times in summer, but I can get full of sweat in less than a minute and therefore I am not the right person to talk about this.

No built-in mic.

And the wire is huge. Maybe the wire length you desire is a bit smaller than in these headphones. Just looked online and it says it has 3 meters of wire (I personally have the wire spin a few times around itself and then tied it, in order to reduce wire length and I still have more than enough available).

Finally, they require no drivers.

11 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

Sony MDR-7506 are my preferred over-the-ear headphones, but they're right about the $100 mark and no mic.  They're essentially studio headphones.  Otherwise my next favorite are honestly some Sony MDREX15LP earbuds for $10.

I've used various headphones/earbuds/headsets over the years, ranging from $20 to $300. Bluetooth and USB are to be avoided because of the added layer of complexity (generic driver doesn't always work, specific driver often unavailable if a product is over 5 years old, even with a good driver certain software/games can introduce their own bugs in how they handle these devices). Of all of these ear-joy devices I've used over the years, even purchases made within the last 3 years, ALL have suffered physically (speakers buzzing, cutting out or completely dying, frayed cables etc.) or are obsolete due to driver issues, or just sound like trash because they have the property of being earbuds.

All except [product endorsement] a pair of Sony MDR-V500 that I got like 18 years ago for $75. The wire is still flawless despite much abuse, and it's got to be like 8-10 feet long. It's got a 1/8in jack for going straight into the soundcard/motherboard, means it bypasses the software layer and will never Not Work unless there is physical damage somewhere.

Spoiler

412VRJCGTSL.jpg

I reckon they probably have more modern and appropriate models, now. So yeah, Yuki wasn't messing around when mentioning the MDR series (well, the wired ones that cup your entire ear). They seem to range from $60 on sale to $150+ not on sale. Fuck those $300+ earbuds, while comfortable they are not durable and sound terrible.

edit: also more ragging on earbuds: when you sit next to me on the train I can hear every bit of your stupid netflix show and I want to kill you

Edited by Vorpal

Chiming in to agree with YukiRaven and Vorpal. I used a pair of Sony MDR-V600 from around 2006 until earlier this year, when I swapped them out for a new pair of Sony MDR-V6 because the cable was starting to come apart and I didn't want to take my chances waiting for them to die spontaneously. (11 years of near-daily use is pretty good I think, and I probably could've kept them going for many more years with a bit of effort!) They're studio headphones but they also sound great for listening with, you can very clearly hear details and the frequency response is great: they don't over-accentuate anything to alter the sound, they just give you what's really there. The V6 seems to reproduce low bass more audibly than the V600 and would be my recommendation between the two.

To add about the two Sony MDR-7506 pairs I've own, I had one pair last 12 years.  And technically that pair still works, it's just that I accidentally messed the cable up with a drawer years ago and cut off some of the rubber accidentally.  If it wasn't for that, I'd still be using my original pair.

Though it does not fit the plug and play criteria, i like my razer kraken 7.1 chroma quite a lot. I owned a corsair vengeance 1300 before it and the kraken was a huge improvement. It is very confortable, and does not make me sweat (my opinion may be biased by my long hair tho). It has a usb port too wich i think is nice.

I had a Kraken 7.1 Chroma but I had to return it because of one of the led lights not working, not to mention the physical store prices being a little higher. I may have to order another pair from somewhere online, but I fear that some online stores may try to advertise the 5.1 version as the 7.1 version.