Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hoover1979

SLADE3 - Unhandled Exception when attempting to open ANY file or folder.

Question

HELP! I can't get SLADE3 to open ANYTHING at all on Windows 7 Pro x64! 

It doesn't matter if I try to open a folder a .WAD a .PK3 or a .ZIP or even open a folder on any HDD/SSD, SLADE3 hangs for 5 seconds and then windows 7 blasts its critical error buzzer and I get a message in regards to an unhandled exception error, and if I click abort it quits.  If I click retry it quits, and if I click ignore it freezes and SLADE3's process has to be killed in task manager! 

I am trying to get a .pk3 together of my UltraHD texture pack demo with the game overrides included in folders inside the hires folder (doom.doom, doom.doom2, doom.doom2.plutonia, & doom.doom2.tnt) but if I just add them to the pk3 with a zip program no textures get loaded at all, same with having those folders outside of, and alongside the hires folder.  I can't check it in SLADE 3 as it crashes when attempting to open ANY file or folder.  I tried the renaming of slade3.cfg to broken-slade3.cfg and running the config again and I do have the VC 2015 redist installed, but no dice. 

I would really like to figure out how to have the main textures and the game specific overrides in one .pk3 file before I have enough new content to upload the second tech demo to ModDB.

Event Viewer isn't showing the details of the crash but I bet my balls it's an "Access Violation (0xc00000005)" exception crash.

8 answers to this question

It was SLADE v3.1.1.5, not the beta version.  I have never used SLADE before and I already had the runtimes, in fact, I downloaded the runtime from that site and the installer said it won't continue because it's already installed. 

I am trying to get my whole Texture pack in one .pk3 file rather than one main file and 4 game specific overrides so that when my second tech demo gets released there will be one .pk3 file instead of 5 because some people found the 5 file version confusing to set up.  when I added the folders to the .pk3 file with Win7z none of the textures would load at all, so I hoped I could add them with SLADE.  Slade opens, but when I try to open a WAD file or a PK3 file or a ZIP file, or even open a folder I get the unhandled exception error.  When I make a new zip file, as soon as I drag even 1 file to the empty zip file, I get the unhandled exception crash.  I'm up the tree on this one and it's stressing the crap out of me.  I really want my texture pack to be the easiest to set up as possible.

Edited by hoover1979 : Fixing typos, Upadting information.

I have had no problem with Unhandled Exceptions when using 7zip to make the pk3 files.

Also, I recommend using Slade3.1.2.b5, even though it is a beta version. See the Changelog.

While I think that you did an admirable job with those textures, I have a bit of misgivings with

the file sizes. Not everyone will be in favour of using a 2 Gb file just for different textures of

2048p size. Using the 512p textures are more like it, they just come to ca 150 Mb, and the

difference in texture quality is hardly noticable.

Personally I would just make a texture pack for each game, rather than to stick eberything into one huge file.

1 minute ago, Kappes Buur said:

Personally I would just make a texture pack for each game, rather than to stick eberything into one huge file.

I agree. That way, players need only download what they are going to use.

I will look into game-specific packs that at some point but I would need to know exactly which textures are used be each game.  also, it would mean a larger filesize if someone downloads the 4 games worth of textures so a complete package for those that already play the 4 games is still needed.  I am also releasing 1k and 512p versions so people can choose what they prefer in filesize vs resolution.  at the moment I have only released a demo in 2k, 1k, and 512p, and I am a long way from completion.  I hope everything fits into place by official release and I have all peoples needs covered.  

I don't get the unhandled exception making a PK3 with win7z, I get an unhandled exception trying to make a zip from SLADE, and if I open a pk3 in SLADE I get an unhandled exception too.  I can make an empty zip file in SLADE, but as soon as I add 1 file BAM! unhandled exception crash!

I can't get the game overrides into the pk3 with Winz7 using GZDooms folder structure as no HD Textures load at all, doom loads in half a second with vanilla 128p textures.  That's why I sought help from SLADE and SLADE just twisted the salt-encrusted knife in my heart. :'(

Did you try re-downloading Slade? Maybe your download was corrupted in some freakishly specific way that lets it run, but with that bug. To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes (because I don't remember the exact wording), when all other explanations are eliminated, what remains, however unlikely, must be the answer.

9 hours ago, hoover1979 said:

I don't get the unhandled exception making a PK3 with win7z, I get an unhandled exception trying to make a zip from SLADE, and if I open a pk3 in SLADE I get an unhandled exception too.  I can make an empty zip file in SLADE, but as soon as I add 1 file BAM! unhandled exception crash!

Initially, saving to the pk3 format is done in Windows Explorer, where you have to make a folder structure

according to Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement . So, in your case, make a folder HIRES and place the hires

textures therein. Then, using Win7z or 7zip, create the pk3 file of that HIRES folder.

Slade3 should then be able to read the pk3 file without problem, at least it does for me. Slade3 will

then display the folder HIRES. Clicking on that will display the textures. Now you can delete or add textures.

Slade3 will save the new contents back into the pk3 file. If Slade3 gives you an unhandled exception when

working with pk3 files, then either the pk3 file or your Slade3 installation is corrupted.

Saving to the wad format is much easier with Slade3. Open Slade3 and make a new archive. Create two new

entries, HI_START and HI_END markers. Stick the hires textures in between those markers. Then save the

file as wad format.

6 hours ago, Empyre said:

Did you try re-downloading Slade? Maybe your download was corrupted in some freakishly specific way that lets it run, but with that bug. To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes (because I don't remember the exact wording), when all other explanations are eliminated, what remains, however unlikely, must be the answer.

Yes, I did try re-downloading SLADE.  unfortunately, I get the same problem. 

6 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Initially, saving to the pk3 format is done in Windows Explorer, where you have to make a folder structure

according to Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement . So, in your case, make a folder HIRES and place the hires

textures therein. Then, using Win7z or 7zip, create the pk3 file of that HIRES folder.

Slade3 should then be able to read the pk3 file without problem, at least it does for me. Slade3 will

then display the folder HIRES. Clicking on that will display the textures. Now you can delete or add textures.

Slade3 will save the new contents back into the pk3 file. If Slade3 gives you an unhandled exception when

working with pk3 files, then either the pk3 file or your Slade3 installation is corrupted.

Saving to the wad format is much easier with Slade3. Open Slade3 and make a new archive. Create two new

entries, HI_START and HI_END markers. Stick the hires textures in between those markers. Then save the

file as wad format.

I made the original PK3 file with Winz7 but made it a ZIP extension first not a 7Z extension  7z files are smaller but it would take longer to start Doom and longer for each level to load due to the higher compression, then I renamed it in an elevated CMD prompt from .zip to .pk3, when I opened it in SLADE it will hang for a few sections Windows would blast my speakers with the critical error blam, and I get told SLADE encountered an Unhandled Exception. 

I now am concerned now is the only fix would be to completely reformat my C: drive and make a clean install of Windows, then reinstall and re-setup the thousands of apps and games I have, rebuild my registry and reauthenticate all my licenses.  This is the ultimate nightmare for me, and I had to do this over a year ago when an AV program (that I won't name so others don't endure what I endured) locked me out of every executable (when I would start up windows I'd get a cascade of Access Violation crashes from all my background apps, and from every executable I tried to run and could not back up any files and had to reformat and reinstall from outside of the OS) When that happened it took 2 weeks of almost non stop day and night work before I could relax and play my games/do my artwork.

QUESTION: If I try again and try to make a WAD file, can I get the game overrides and main textures in the same file (assuming SLADE won't crash on me) do I make the start marker and end marker and put the main files in and then the Doom.Doom, Doom.Doom2, Doom.Doom2.Plutonia & Doom.Doom2.TNT folders with their override textures in with the files between the start and end marker?  Will the textures load in the game? or will it be like adding the folders to the pk3 file with Win7z and no textures load at all?

Edited by hoover1979 : Updating information, fixing typos, asking a further question to avoid double-posting.