Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Taw Tu'lki

My MIDI-tracks for Doom & another games

Crazy Man... is another cool 80s-sounding piece starts out with a minimal guitar riff that gets going at just the right time, with saw bass, secondary guitars and slap bass. The top-line melody on the charang lead sounds like a vocal track. At about 1:30 there's a cool modal modulation. The climbing chorus-like section sounds really cool. A fairly repetitive piece for its length of 5:36, but catchy and uprhythm enough to be pretty engaging all the same. A super-interesting chromatic sitar solo towards the end. Nice work!

It's Impossible... is a great little military/medieval-sounding title track. Good use of voice-leading between the chords. Should suit a Heretic project nicely!

Falling from the Cliff is a mashup I don't think anyone saw coming. :P The main melody from D_E2M1 does clash with the underlying bass at 0:46 because the bass isn't transposed up the fourth. At only 1:04 in length, this feels unfinished, but marks for effort.

Epitaph - a simplistic piece with unceasing rhythm. Feels like an atmospheric track by the likes of Paul Corfiatis, with harp and voices providing counterpoint to the steady bass. Nothing really stands out as being unfitting in this piece, although at the same time there's not much particularly shining through. The military snares and timpani make for a nice change in the rhythm department at the halfway point. Good work!

Dvornegue is a Doomy rocker of a track - feels vaguely AC/DC or Metallica-ish. Bendy chords in the background provide some interesting instability. Repetition feels like this track's downfall - there's not much going on in the upper melody sections until about 2:00, by which point it goes all out with back-to-back 16th notes bending themselves every possible way and it feels quite messy. More melodic variation and maybe some counterpoint melodies would've really helped this piece. Is it me or are those drums lagging a bit?

Die But Do sounds vaguely ska-punkish and a bit Bobby Prince-like in its execution. The opening guitar melody outstays its welcome just a bit, with the key modulations making the piece feeling a bit lacking. The secondary guitar that comes in seems to be doing its own thing irrespective of the first guitar melody. It's not bad. The minimal bridge section about 2 minutes in makes for a nice welcome change, but the section after that seems to break down a bit. By the end the guitars and synth backing (square lead chords) are full on clashing with each other. I do like the bendy outro though.

Razem i Nazawsze - a guitar-centered piece that feels kind of rock-and-rollish. Upbeat for sure, but unceasingly steady and almost plodding - definitely spaces itself out. Once the synth lead from TNT MAP02's song came in I smiled. Somehow that adds so much!

Storm starts with several bassy layers quite literally competing for space, bending and warping over each other in slightly jarring fashions. Seashore effects bring us into a surf-rock-ish main section. Things are kept afloat by good velocity variation on the main melodic lines, and good keyboard solos on, of all instruments, the dulcimer and polysynth lead. Weirdly-pitched bird tweets in the middle are slightly unsettling. This is a track with its fair share of quirks, but overall pretty solid.

Le Fleur de Papier feels jarringly dissonant. The clangy drums and seemingly directionless step-wise main melodies don't do much for me. By 1:44 there is literally no cohesion between the different layers. Feels like something that didn't quite sit right on the ears was gone for here. Think that's about all I can say!

Thx

28 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Le Fleur de Papier feels jarringly dissonant. The clangy drums and seemingly directionless step-wise main melodies don't do much for me. By 1:44 there is literally no cohesion between the different layers. Feels like something that didn't quite sit right on the ears was gone for here. Think that's about all I can say!

That's my first MIDI track. And also it's not original that was made by me - original track is "Игры - Le Fleur De Papier 1986" and I just created a MIDI-version in 2015. Unfortunately, I lost my MIDI-version, so I have only converted MP3.

33 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Falling from the Cliff is a mashup I don't think anyone saw coming. :P The main melody from D_E2M1 does clash with the underlying bass at 0:46 because the bass isn't transposed up the fourth. At only 1:04 in length, this feels unfinished, but marks for effort.

I was just trying to make a post-punk version of E2M1, combine AC/DC - Big Gun and The Cure - Primary. But then suddenly lost the desire. Maybe I continue to make it, but I don't know when...

On 9/1/2020 at 2:43 AM, Taw Tu'lki said:

I like it, its feel likea good shot of heroin on a sunday morning!

Seriously, it would be an excellent antmospheric and alien mood song, save for the percussion, that turns it on a badass rave.
Cool material, my blueish changing pal!
Don't know why, but this reminds me a little to the game Mother/Earthbound.

I like songs that fade in and out between dissonant and harmonious like this, really cool stuff.

May I request that you keep the full name of your songs in the files, instead of sticking to the old 8 letters limitation? So it's easier to catalogue them later instead of searching the thread for the full names.

Since I decided for myself that "Music packs" would contain at least 5 tracks, and on January I made two, so I decided to create a "Single pack" with 2-3 tracks. Just like in music industry there are released singles.
The tracks are written in the "synth-pop" style.

Single pack 1