Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutz

Doom II - Hellscape (v1.1 FINAL)

Good to see this got a nice rebalanced update! And thanks for making me blush, heh.

cool, another opportunity for me to say that these are the coolest fuckin maps I've ever seen. the chasm remake is stunning, and may well be my favorite map ever

10 hours ago, Gideon020 said:

So if I started from the beginning of Doom 2, would these levels then replace the Hell ones in Doom 2?

Indeed, they replace map slots 21-30.

I have made a small wad file (8 KB) for (G)ZDoom (since it works with mapinfo) which lets you choose to start the Doom 2 campaign or jump directly to the Hellscape levels via episode selection. Also fixes the level names (via dehacked).

Edited by NightFright

I have been enjoying this wad. On map22 there is one secret that I've been unable to reach (sector 64). It's got me stumped and I haven't seen any demos for this wad yet. Can someone shed some light on how to get this secret? Use a spoiler tag in your post so as not to ruin the secret for others.

2 hours ago, tmorrow said:

I have been enjoying this wad. On map22 there is one secret that I've been unable to reach (sector 64). It's got me stumped and I haven't seen any demos for this wad yet. Can someone shed some light on how to get this secret? Use a spoiler tag in your post so as not to ruin the secret for others.

Spoiler

In the original level, you could get to this area via the torch at the start OR a teleport later in the level -- I removed the torch method, because I thought teleporting to the main room was a death sentence.  Anyway, you access the secret AFTER you have grabbed the red skull key (and activated the monster closet [sector 1834] back up in the pillar room overlooking the nukage).  There is a semi-hidden switch in sector 1832 (the  chain-gunner trap on the way out) that opens a teleporter in sector 1834.

FDAs that feature a plenty of pretty embarrassing deaths.

Map designs are top-notch, though balancing is kinda funny with early part (prior to first armor\key) almost always being the toughest part of the levels.

Also it's possible to snipe Romero's head without raising the lift and vertical aiming, is it intended to be this way?

Oh man! I missed that skull switch. Thanks for the explanation and background info. I did notice the similarity of the secret with the original. Back when I was playing the original I always used to grab that secret right away via the odd, out of place green torch (all the others are orange). You certainly beat me on this one, well done!

On 12/1/2017 at 3:16 AM, NightFright said:

Indeed, they replace map slots 21-30.

I have made a small wad file (8 KB) for (G)ZDoom (since it works with mapinfo) which lets you choose to start the Doom 2 campaign or jump directly to the Hellscape levels via episode selection. Also fixes the level names (via dehacked).

@NightFright

Im not sure if I should bump this, but do you still have this MAPINFO file? The link doesnt seem to work anymore. Thanks.