Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spike

Map Names

The naming game - funny old thing isn't it? I was suprised at how difficult it can be to come up with decent map titles.
Since we're working on Episode II & III of 'The Underworld', we've been throwing titles about.

Here's the official results :

The Underworld Episode I - Hades' Curse (Complete)

1) Portal of Hades
2) Blood Keep
3) River Phlegethon
4) Lethe
5) Depths of Cocytus
6) Summit of Acheron
7) Valley of Styx
8) Haunted Shores
9) Cerebus' Gates
10) Palace of Hades

The Underworld Episode II - Erebus Unbound

1 Olympian Base (Previously 'Mount Olympus' - done)
2 Waste Recycling (in progress)
3 Biohazard
4 The Docklands
5 Return to Athens Base
6 Medical Wing
7 Burial Crypt
8 Forsaken
9 City of the Damned
10 Armageddon

The Underworld Episode III - Tartarus (Penal Space Station)

1 Gates of Tartarus
2 Visitation Chamber
3 The White Room
4 Therapy
5 The Offices
6 The Laboratory
7 Engineering
8 Depths of Sanity
9 Creeping Death
10 Chaos

Secret Maps (Return to Hell)

31 666
32 Now You're In Hell

Make a good case against them, and i'll consider a change in one or two.

lol, yup yer right. I've been down that same path and coming up with good names is a lot harder than it first seems. I know I've had the thesaurus out on a couple occasions :)

Anyway, looks like you've done a great job!

Those names look good to me, and nicely themed. I assume you've checked that the names in Episode 1 make sense (e.g., Styx, being a river, no doubt had a valley of some sort, so that's OK for sure).

Cerebus' (as opposed to Cerebus's) is in accordance with standard publishing conventions (being a name from antiquity), so it looks like you've done your homework too!

The one thing that occurs to me is that the Episode 1 names could be even more strongly themed if each one included the name of some beast/river/mountain/whatever from the traditional picture of hell.

I don't know whether you are trying to avoid names that have been used in any other megawads (probably a hopeless task). Anyway, if so, then "Engineering" was used in STRAIN (MAP14 IIRC).

Pain's MAP32 has the ultimate name for a Doom level:

"Doom".

Or maybe that should be MAP30... who knows? :)

Grazza said:

The one thing that occurs to me is that the Episode 1 names could be even more strongly themed if each one included the name of some beast/river/mountain/whatever from the traditional picture of hell.

Phlegethon, Lethe, Cocytus, Acheron and Styx are the five rivers of Hades - we gave them varying titles cuz the word 'River' repeated in five consecutive map names seemed a bit unimaginative.

Epyo said:

"armagedden" is slowly getting overused. Try "Ragnarok".

The megawad is based in the mythological Greek Underworld. Ragnorok is the Norse wording for the end of everything, so not very fitting.

Little Faith said:

Where did "Anarchy in the UK" go??

We decided that the whole idea of travelling to the UK was a bit naff, so we kept Episode II in Greece, and changed Episode III to a prison space station.

Epyo said:

"armagedden" is slowly getting overused. Try "Ragnarok".

Found a better one - Acropolis - roughly translated as a citadel/castle/tower that occupies a mountain top or cliff in Greece.

For map 31, I'd probably use something like The Abyss, Pit of Oblivion, etc. For map 32, I would use The Lake of Fire. You'd think that this one would be as overused as Armageddon, but I haven't seen it used very often, if at all.

Probably my favorite map name from any wadfile would be One Flew Over the Caco's Nest (Alien Vendetta map 21). I'm surprised no one thought of it sooner.

Carnevil said:

lol, yup yer right. I've been down that same path and coming up with good names is a lot harder than it first seems. I know I've had the thesaurus out on a couple occasions :)

Anyway, looks like you've done a great job!

WTF are you doing in this part of the forum? :)

Trasher][ said:
"666" is a bit old, try for some other hell-related thing, like "Central Furnace" or something.

Best alternative i can think of at the moment is 'The Seventh Circle'. 'Inferno' would be perfect if it weren't an episode name.