Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SayWhatOneMoreTime

Transparent glass in Zdoom in Hexen format.

First of all, editing subforum, not here.

Second, why not UDMF? It's so much more powerful and flexible.

2 hours ago, Empyre said:

You can have multiple formats in the same wad, but it generally considered a bad idea.

It really isn't, aside from the sense that if you're using UDMF in a wad made by one person, it makes the usage of Hexen format completely inexplicable.

@Blastfrog I'm new to doomworld so I probably posted this in the wrong category, sorry.

EDIT:And I don't know if UDMF supports 3D floors and the WAD I'm making mostly relies on It and custom weapons,sprites and a few other thing's.

1 hour ago, Arctangent said:

It really isn't, aside from the sense that if you're using UDMF in a wad made by one person, it makes the usage of Hexen format completely inexplicable.

I was passing on advice that i was given years ago.

I made the change from Doom-in-Hexen to UDMF about than a year ago, and I'm loving it. It does everything Doom-in-Hexen does, often easier, and much more.

6 minutes ago, SayWhatOneMoreTime said:

@Arctangent So it supports 3D floors and slopes plus lighting effects and swinging doors?

EDIT:I forgot to add this (sorry) but does it support breakable glass IF I did want to add it at some point?

yes and yes and yes and yes and yes

53 minutes ago, SayWhatOneMoreTime said:

@Arctangent So it supports 3D floors and slopes plus lighting effects and swinging doors?

EDIT:I forgot to add this (sorry) but does it support breakable glass IF I did want to add it at some point?

yes it does but youll have to use scripts to get them to work. Enjay did a great demo of this if youd like me to send you a link. it started my whole road down the ACS route, and i havent looked back.

also...i know it sucks to switch formats mid map, ive been there...but give UDMF a shot in GZDoombuilder. its way more intuitive, more flexible and easier to use.  definitely helped the learning curve for me.

Edited by cortlong50

In terms of convenience, UDMF is kind of a tradeoff. Some things are much easier and more automated (whereas in Hexen format you'd often have to use an ACS script to do a lot of things!), but the increased flexibility also means there's slightly more manual work in other areas (very much like the tradeoff in going from Doom format to Hexen format, and for basically the same reasons).

It honest to god is the best Doom map format, hands down. I cringe at the thought of mapping in Hexen format in any port with UDMF support. I don't want to go back to wrestling with extremely suffocating limitations and tedious workarounds when mapping ever again.

18 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

I know some people really hate it, but I honestly don't mind UDMF that much.

we call those people purists. we ignore them. 

and im with you blastfrog. to a tee.  all the little pains in the asses for basic stuff in hexen really gets annoying.