Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Doom The Way id Did

Well, just got off work and I'm half tired.  Perfect time to record my ironman run and go as fast as I possibly can!  Fast being the operative word in some levels though.

Somehow, through multiple oh crap moments, I clear episodes 1 & 2 (no secret exits sadly).  My half tired run comes to a screeching halt in e3m4 when I basically derp, somehow miss the green armor, and die in like 5 seconds afterwards.  Starting the map with under 20 health didn't help my reckless ways either.

Category 2 run here.  Played this in the past via a ZDaemon TNS session, albeit with only some memory of select maps.

DWIronman_DTWID_AnimaZero.zip

IT PUTS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN a.k.a. e3m4

I'm just hoping someone dies on e2m7 so I can make fun of them.

I feel I should emphasise that you cannot record more than one registered/ultimate doom episode in a single vanilla demo. The game will end when you finish e1m8; from there you will have no choice but to quit. Sure you can go into the menus, select "new game", and start a new episode, but the ensuing demo will not reflect that when played back. It will just sit on the finale screen forever. Just to clear up any misunderstanding; hopefully so far no-one has actually done this, and ruined their recording! EDIT: Sorry. it turns out this is wrong. pr+ explicitly disallows you from starting a new game while recording a demo. rboom doesn't, but rboom only has one user who is well aware it would break, so has never thought to actually try it☺.

I'm guessing another possible source of confusion is that with vvvv2 or endgamepoint you could die on map04 of one and map03 of the other and get credit for (4-1)+(3-1)=5 maps, whereas here it is perhaps unclear that if, say, you record and survive e1, then record e2 but die on e2m2, then record e3 and die on e3m4, whether you will just get credit for surviving the single initial span of 9+1=10 maps (e1+e2m1) or the full 9+1+3=13 maps (e1+e2m1+e3m{1,2,3}). I was assuming the latter, but then the previous examples were two pairs of separate wads whereas this is just one single wad, albeit a set of three episodes that must be recorded individually. It doesn't seem like there is precedent here; while there have been a couple of single episodes, this appears to be the first ironman featuring a multi-episode registered/ultimate doom mapset.

Edited by RjY : note pr+ explicitly disallows new game while recording

Question: I only had time to record up to part of the way through e1m6 today (since I kind of suck at fpses, doom included, so I played pretty slowly despite this mapset definitely being easier than any other doom related thing I have played thus far lol, and having kind of subpar vision doesn't really help my case at all either, especially when doing a blind run [I got embarrassingly lost in some of the earlier maps for over a minute]...) So my question is would it still count if i I complete the episode in another demo starting after where I saved when I had to quit or am I just SOL?

9 hours ago, therektafire said:

would it still count if i I complete the episode in another demo starting after where I saved when I had to quit or am I just SOL?

If the saving/loading is supported then you're free to do so assuming you don't progress past the save point before loading, and provided you upload both of the files. My understanding is that only -complevel 9 supports this, though, which would mean that you are indeed SOL for this month.

24 minutes ago, floatRand said:

forgot the -cl3 and -deh

The latter does not matter as (a) the patch is also in the wad as a DEHACKED lump, the separate file is only needed for vanilla/chocolate doom and (b) the separate patch file only changes the automap names, it does not change gameplay or do anything else potentially demosync-sensitive.

Arguably the former does not matter either: "The illegal comp settings bracket is only wheeled out when shit breaks, now, anyway." It has been a long time since I've seen people disqualified for recording in the wrong complevel; I don't think there's been one since Mapgame, eight months ago. For one thing disqualifying pr+ demo recordings for being in the wrong complevel while cheerfully allowing gzdoom video streamers would be terribly hypocritical, because even in its strict doom/boom compatibility modes gzdoom has obvious gameplay-changing differences from vanilla/boom. (Two examples - gzdoom has lost souls sliding along the floor not bouncing off it, and allows gun switches to be activated with projectile fire, even in its "strict" compatibility modes).

6 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

If the saving/loading is supported then you're free to do so assuming you don't progress past the save point before loading, and provided you upload both of the files. My understanding is that only -complevel 9 supports this, though, which would mean that you are indeed SOL for this month.

Well that sucks :( Though having read some other older threads about recording demos from saves I found out about the -recordfromto command and it sounds like I could use that maybe since someone used a complevel 2 demo as an example for it? (i found out about it from here )

So I could do something like

prboom-plus -file DTWID.wad -deh DTWID.deh -recordfromto dtwidironmane1 dtwidironmane1_2 -skipsec acoupleofsecondsbeforethetimeisavedandquit

The problem is idk how to get the length of a demo to figure out where I need to skip to to start playing again so thats another problem :/

of course if that's not allowed then I just won't bother and I will work on my nova 3 map instead :)

Edited by therektafire

Survived this one!

E1 in 50:52

E2 in 1:10:13

E3 in 1:00:44

Had some good fun with this one. I really enjoy DTWID a lot, and I feel this was a good pick for the month, given Doom's birthday coming up. It didn't go without some trouble, especially on E3 (lol, when you see it), but I managed to get by.

This is a category 3 demo. I had played DTWID in beta and final before, but I wanted to make sure I could get to the secret maps after the announcement, so I think that fairly puts me into category 3 for preparations, otherwise it'd be a 2.

I did have to pause a few times during E1, so apologies if that somehow pops up on the demo.

dtwid_iron.zip [3]

I'll just say this - screw E2M5's secret exit. Not the method of getting it - its placement and description on the wiki. 

Oh man, I love this set. Finally an ironman map where I'm 90% familiar with it, going to set aside some time and record everything. Will do the usual youtube recording, and have everything be one shot.

Dreading E2M7, I know that might be an actual stopping point for me. Not sure which Category I'm in.. 3..4..?

Going for speed rather than 100%, so might skip over the secret exits.

E1: Survived in 39:47
E2: Survived in 1:06:32

Seems like my heart-stoppingly close escape from a slow crusher on E3M6 was where Lady Luck decided she'd had enough. Bitch.

Welp, there goes my last chance to survive one of these. Thought I had this one.

Category 2, reached the fateful map after a total time of 2:24:47. Take it away Mark.

2 hours ago, Crusader No Regret said:

I have no Ultimate Doom iwad so no attempt from me this month.

In cases like this I think the player should be allowed to substitute the appropriate Freedoom IWAD for recording their run.

5 hours ago, ClumsyWizard said:

Going for speed rather than 100%, so might skip over the secret exits.

Keep in mind that survivors are ranked by number of secret levels completed before time elapsed!

1 hour ago, DaIcemann76 said:

In cases like this I think the player should be allowed to substitute the appropriate Freedoom IWAD for recording their run.

Good idea, will implement this into the rules for next year.

going to run this in a few minutes

check https://www.twitch.tv/stridia

I don't really expect anyone to show up at 9 am or yer local equivalent but it's a nice thought

also this is going to be a confirmed death, I know episode one and the first half of episode two well and then my knowledge goes off a cliff as will I

get ready to mock me \o/

almost exactly as estimated I died on E2M5 :)) well, someone had to be last place

it was cool to see some familiar faces in the stream!

You're not last place, don't worry! Nice effort for a debut, man! 

Anyway, did one of the weirdest runs of my life. Really proud of E3 and I'll gladly challenge anyone to be as fast ;)

SURVIVED (3 - secret levels)

E1: 39:23 +secret level
E2: 53:52 +secret level
E3: 37:53 +secret level

---------------------------

TOTAL: 2:11:08

Download for intense survival at E3M3 and speed at the last three maps

E1 was basically a walk in the park.

E2 was pretty alright.

E3 was intense. I've gone full Krypto in the last few maps for speed (roughly: first 3 - 10 min, middle 3 - 15 min, last 3 - 10 min)

I think this is my best run yet. I've had a really botched practice run of boss map no.3. I saw the concept was pretty innovative, and I forgot what it's about, heh, I'm type 3 anyway, let's try it out. Basically I died to an inescapable pit in the middle of the map.

Edited by NaZa

First time trying the Ironman Club, also first time trying DTWID, which has been on my to-play list for years.

Beat the first level with 25 out of 26 enemies killed I think it was 96%, and died early into E1M2 to a shotgun guy, who's pixelly feet were seen dancing on my grave. A recording from Nvidia Experience does exist, I don't think it'd be interesting enough to upload anywhere, and is larger than the attachment size here, so this can be an unofficial entry. Cool music with the DTWID music wad by the way.

On 12/3/2017 at 8:31 PM, DaIcemann76 said:

Smart idea, didn't consider this as an option.

In this case, I'll submit an attempt recorded with the Freedoom iwad even if it doesn't count for the leaderboard.  Survived Episode 1 already, will disclose the time taken when I submit my demos.

OP maintenance improves with each month :')

Guess he's busy with finalising cacoward stuff, so an update leaderboard probably isn't far off.

Type 1 run here - blind  Used FreeDoom for IWAD

E1: Survived in 3:14:26 + secret map

E2: Survived in 3:19:24, no secret map

E3: Snuffed out on E3M6

After 8 and a half hours, damn "those barrels."  They didn't kill me but did leave me in such a sorry shape that I never recovered from.  Really anticlimatic way to die when the kill shot landed.

E1 went smoothly.  Never in danger, the lowest my health ever reached was 61% until the obligatory death exit.

E2 had its moments.  Noticing a door shutting on me in E2M5, thinking "crap, I needed that for the secret exit, didn't I?" and realizing that I was deep in a recording and couldn't just reload stood out.  I had the radsuit run out in the middle of the sludge and it was a panicked scramble to reach safety.  M6 and 7 I struggled with health most of the way and had a few scares.  Felt the Ironman nerves in M8 realizing one lucky rocket was enough to end the run and being body blocked by a lost soul at a bad time could be the end.  Got through the encounter without a scratch in the end, only taking hitscan damage at the start before the tense reveal.

E3 is quite up and down.  Took no damage in M1.  Left monsters behind in M2, one of the few times I don't kill what I see.  Had a scare at the start of M3 with the damaging blood and a few more scares with low health later one but recovered and exited with 200/200.  Had a number of times whee monsters snuck up behind me in M4.  Got dangerously low on health because of "those imps' on M5 so it was tense but lived and with a certain shiny secret reward.  M6 I guessed wrong on where to run and it was a slow descent to oblivion.

PrBoom + 2.5.1.4 -complevel 3

dwiron_dtwid_cnr.zip

E1: Survived +0 in 57:37

E2: Survived +0 in 1:05:05

E3: Died in E3M4 to [THOSE CRUSHERS]

Category 2 run (played it once before in ZDaemon TNS.)  I didn't remember much about the maps, thus the hiccups in the gameplay.

icedtwid-2.zip