Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Doom The Way id Did

15 hours ago, NaZa said:

There's a 2 second demo in your zip file, have you mistakenly uploaded the wrong demo?

Whoops! I thinking to put the right demo, but... looks like i've recorded two seconds of them!

Remove it, i'll going record another one if possible...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2udt5eliyxfr1ll/UrtharDTWID.zip

I spent a couple of days studying demos of E1 (Altima, Dime & KMC) and prepared a high speed run. I took extra care to grab resources to give me a bigger margin of error, and managed a 17 minute dash, including the secret level. So definitely a fast category 3 run.

I had a quick look at KMC's E2 demo, but decided against trying to emulate it. The maps looked too sprawling and convoluted, and I didn't think it would be much fun to attempt. So I just played casually, and eventually died beneath a crusher somewhere. A slow category 2 run.

I previously played DTWID over a year ago, but didn't like E1 and E2 and didn't complete them. I think E1 misses the point of what Romero was trying to do in terms of initutive player direction, landmarks, navigation, etc. While E2 is a decent reworking of Shores of Hell, I was never that keen on the original anyway. E3 on the other hand I though was very good, I consider it superior to id's Inferno.

The leader board still hasn't been updated created, you say? I impress myself, sometimes.

Keep 'em rolling in, people; I'll get there soon enough.

10 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

The leader board still hasn't been updated created, you say? I impress myself, sometimes.

Keep 'em rolling in, people; I'll get there soon enough.

An update to the leader-board would be a Christmas miracle.

Couldn't resist....speedrun routes used with extra provisions for survival.  I messed up all the shortcuts anyways.  I know the maps pretty well so consider it as category 3.  E1M9 is the only map I hadn't really played (watched the max record), and I made sure I knew how to get to the secret exit for episode 2 beforehand.

Spoiler

Episode 1 - 13:31

Episode 2 - 16:39

Episode 3 - 14:29

dtwid-kmc-ironman.zip

Edited by kmc

Dammit, I couldn't be first on the leaderboard... But still, that's an extraordinary run man! Well done! :) 

I managed to complete all three episodes, completely blind apart from reading something on this thread about a 'crusher'.  think I took the best part of 3 - 4 hours

Ill be honest, it took bloody ages, halfway through e1m7 I had to go into town for a while, so I hid, and left the demo recording.  Bit annoying really, cause it turns out I was 99% of the way through the map, and e1m8 took no time at all, so, sorry about that.

e2 was a breeze, no major breaks/excursions as far as I can remember (missed the secret level in this episode)

e3 not too bad, had to nip out again half way through the demo so there will be another long pause, very nearly bit it at the end but managed to survive.  That crusher though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bzkjuystdrrhou/dtwid_dt.zip?dl=1

Here is my run:

DWIronman_dtwid_BlooditeKrypto.zip

I'll leave Alfonzo to calculate my total time, since he's disgracefully neglected to even begin maintaining the leaderboard, despite the month being almost over :D

Category 2 - Good thing I played this in Zdaemon TNS! Otherwise I've never played it in SP. I don't like Doom replacements unless their's something unique about them such as difficulty (Double Impact and The Beginning of the End) or style (2002 A Doom Odyssey).

bob_dtwid.zip

e3m6... of all the maps to start with 2% health!

This was a blast, though. Probably enjoyed it way more this way than I would have if I had played it casually. I love how Ironman makes every little encounter, secret discovery, health pickup, etc. feel so significant.

This was a category 1 run, although e1m8 gave me some serious deja vu strangely. I had seen warnings about crushers in the thread, too, hence my freaking out every time I encountered one! Appropriately, I ultimately died to a different kind of non-monster hazard.

Edited by Big Ol Billy

Hi, I streamed my run this evening.

Spoiler

Survived! This is my best estimate for times:

E1: 46.02

E2: 1.09.09

E3: 1.11.12

Combined time: 3.06.23

Very happy with my playthrough, although clearly it doesn't match up with some of the speed demons who've ran before me. I knew this mapset pretty well, but I only checked the mapset beforehand for secret exit placement, so it's either a category 2 or 3 run.

The best part now is that - for the first time in his life - Mr. Suitepee will have to play Doom fast if he has any hope of salvaging anything from this year's Britbowl.

25 minutes ago, an_mutt said:

The best part now is that - for the first time in his life - Mr. Suitepee will have to play Doom fast if he has any hope of salvaging anything from this year's Britbowl.

So be it.

Survived in 3:00:40 with 2 secret levels found. (I didn't find E2M9) I played the first episode and the first level of the second episode in 2013 , so my run enters in category 2 but the majority of levels are really confusing so I forgot the layout of the first maps.

The mapset is globally fun , all levels are not really hard but the third episode is full of deadly traps which are typical of doom maps from the 90'. I was very lucky to survive in the last episode. I had enough health to survive the barrel trap and some slow crushers almost crushed me but whatever , the last episode is my favourite so far whereas the second episode is too mazy and confusing. I didn't like E2M2 at all although this is my favourite map in the original Doom.

Well, i've made it to e3m6. Here is the proof https://www.twitch.tv/kyle2959/videos/all. Run category: 2 [EDIT] I forgot to include times
e1 - 40:20
e2 - 48:40
e3 (up to death) - 47:30
Now when i think about it, sticking to the walls near crushers doesn't seem like a good idea

Edited by Kyle2959

So how do I join this Ironman league? It sounds fun! Also, do I need to Max-kill/100S each map?

Edited by stru

Just download the wad we are doing session on and record yourself play it(UV, boom-strict compatibility, no jumping/crouching/freelook). You can either record it or make a demo out of it

All right, here are my demos for all 3 episodes. Category 2.

DTWiD is one of my all-time favorites when it comes to classic Doom episode replacements. Most of the standard stuff we know and love are here, in one way or another, and the wad also emulates E2 and E3's occasional quirks very effectively. The team has done a great job imitating id's style, the whole thing almost feels like rediscovering Doom again (at least it did to me when I first played it).

The only thing that angered me here was that one-time secret exit in E2M5, which gets sealed forever if you aren't lucky (or prepared) enough to go through the correct sequence of passageways. It almost cost me the run, as after realizing there was no way of opening the secret again, I desperately ran through the dreadful slime maze at the end of the level and barely survived.

DTWiD-Ironman-demos-wh.zip

Alright, so I just did a run on episode 1 but I have no idea if I was doing it right. Am I supposed to kill everything and get all the secrets? Am I just supposed to survive and get to the exit? Am I allowed to use OBS to record? Can I do this live on Twitch? 

The rules listed in the spoiler section of the OP are pretty comprehensive. You don't have to kill anything, let alone everything. You can use speedrunner strats to get to exits and not get any secrets, if you wish. You are allowed to use OBS and Twitch (and make sure that you've displayed the correct compatibility on-screen, aren't using freelook etc.). Give it a quick read-through and you'll be fully prepped.

Deaths to barrels: 2

Deaths to crushers: 4

(Number of unique crushers getting the job done: 4)

Number of inescapable pit deaths: 2

Number of other damaging floor and crusher-assisted deaths: 8

Deaths to demons and not much else: 3

Deaths to Excellence: 1 (GJ Noisy)

Total Scores: 

Boring Demons........4

Get shit on, Hell. Letting a bunch of stupid ceilings get the better of you, haha!

3 hours ago, Megalyth said:

But no deaths to e2m7 :(

Even I didn't die to E2M7. ;)

I did get hopelessly confused, though . . .

Here's my demo files of this month's Ironman run. I didn't make it to the end, and died in E3M6. Category 2, although I couldn't remember anything after the first episode. That being said, I should've paid more attention to the last episode. ;)

Ep.1 - 47:03
Ep.2 - 56:34
Ep.3 - 44:50

Total - 2:28:27 (no secret level)

antares031_ironman_DTWID.zip

Yeah E2M7 was weird to navigate, though in a good way. It's a standout in the set for its big areas with relatively few monsters. You can really take in the environment there in a way that you don't get in most newer WADs. So on that note, how are you supposed to die there? :D