Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AverageWalrus24

[Deleted]

I only played the games briefly. I remember thinking that the first one was way too zoomed in, making it difficult to see what was ahead of you. The second seemed like a big improvement overall. I'll have to pick them up at some point.

I agree with Ajora. I tried the first game relatively recently but the low visibility totally ruined it for me and I quit very soon. You either have to stop every second to observe what's ahead of you, or get hit all the time. It could have been an interesting game if the field of view was like 3 times larger.

So basically an engine recreation or source port with higher resolution would be great.

I found this but I have no idea how complete it is or whether you can zoom out. There's a depressing lack of screenshots on that site.

I played the shareware episode plenty enough back in the day that I must have liked it, but I don't think I ever bothered with the full version so maybe I didn't like it that much.  It's more or less Sonic the Hedgehog with rolling into a ball replaced by having a gun, and the complaints people make about it tend to be similar (you move fast and run into stuff that you didn't see coming sometimes).

The OST has some pretty cool tracks, though.

I found a reddit thread about OpenJazz and, good thing, there are screenshots. So if you find that JJR1 is too zoomed-in, then good news, OJ lets you see a lot more of the level. By default, you'll get something like this:

f9tyHiR.png

In fact you'll probably want to zoom in a little just to find where the heck is your bunny puppet. And to avoid seeing so much of the places where the level is unfilled. You can apparently zoom by a factor or two or four.

I loved both these games back in the day and I ended up picking Jazz 2 since it has vastly superior jump physics (which are a little important in a sidescrolling platformer). This JJ2+ engine extension looks fascinating but a lot of work to learn how to script--it seems to be the equivalent of somewhere in between Boom and ZDoom in its quantity of features but it's still an extension of the original engine and it's probably nowhere near as direct and neatly integrated as ZDoom's modding features.

This is probably the best PC platformer that ever existed so anyone who likes sidescrollers at all should play Jazz 2. I'd pledge if Epic announced a sidescrolling Jazz sequel.

Jazz Jackrabbit was extremely my shit about 21 years ago. First full PC game I ever owned, mail-ordered even.

Still looks better than most indie platformers out there.

On 12/4/2017 at 6:41 AM, Gez said:

I found a reddit thread about OpenJazz and, good thing, there are screenshots. So if you find that JJR1 is too zoomed-in, then good news, OJ lets you see a lot more of the level. By default, you'll get something like this:

f9tyHiR.png

In fact you'll probably want to zoom in a little just to find where the heck is your bunny puppet. And to avoid seeing so much of the places where the level is unfilled. You can apparently zoom by a factor or two or four.

Can you play it with an xbox controller without too much fucking about? If so then this is extremely my shit

also, what's the best way to get at that soundtrack?

1 hour ago, Captain red pants said:

Can you play it with an xbox controller without too much fucking about? If so then this is extremely my shit

In a manner of speaking, yes. both DosBox (JJ1) and JJ2 will only read direct input controllers, however Xbox 360 controllers can function as a direct input controller, but only one at a time. You can configure it under "Set up USB game controllers" (called that in Windows 10) and selecting the 360 controller under advanced.