Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AgitatedSkeleton

''Military shooters are too brown and grey''

Wait... I saw a lot of browns...

Spoiler

It's so difficult to catch the spirit of someone named with h something, but you did it.

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

Wad name?

it's something I've been working on over the past few months. I hope to have it finished by the end of the year.

55 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

I think you need glasses lol

No. I just don't want to leave the non-spoiler part blank, so I put something there just to hold the space without actual meaning.

7 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

You might want to make a neutral post once in a while.

I have nothing to say one way or another about this topic.

What I've come to understand about the issue with brown is that as games have supported higher resolutions and more dimensions, our eyes become directed at more and more things happening on screen at once. When our attention is divided among too many different things, we can't play as well as we can with your average goofy colorful pixelated 2D platformer. 

I believe the grey and brown is supposed to operate as a means of applying shadowy drab dullness to the environment you cannot directly interact with, while reserving brighter flashier colors and shiny effects as indicators to assist with navigation and point the player's attention to the things that he or she is supposed to be looking at. You don't need to make everything brown and gray to have a good game, but I believe that's the logic behind it.

I noticed a connection between how detailed the graphics are and how colorful they can be. But it only applies to games that require texture filtering to look good.

Doom 3, for example, was all about grey surfaces with complex bumpy lighting at some point in its development. Then I don't know what happened. Maybe old fans complained. Maybe it was Willits. When it doubt, always blame Willits. More colors were injected into textures and all of a sudden the game didn't look quite as detailed. Probably because textures started to fight for attention with lighting, and it wasn't a fight they were supposed to win.

Nowadays colorful games work just fine, because we can afford the level of detailing required to make both lighting and materials look good. Still need to be careful with how the player's attention is distributed, but I think it applies even when working on a vanilla Doom map.

A lot of old games were colorful though. The colors for a lot of games like Doom 3 can be blamed on the setting (Let's face it, colorful lab maint halls would make 0 sense lol). The colors are also more widely used in other genres for some reason (Warcraft 3 is extremely colorful when compared to Doom 3\2\1). Same with more modern games. If devs insist on a realistic setting then the color theme will probably get hit unless they make levels like night clubs and theme parks..

Is black ops 2 a real military shooter? at some point where is the line between a military shooter and sci fi?

Looks at the new posts
Whereas i just don't care about colorfulness in shooters :D

Bulletstorm is reletivly new, and very colorful. So is the new wolfenstein series considered a military shooter? What would the new wolfenstein games be considered?

11 hours ago, SOSU said:

Looks at the new posts
Whereas i just don't care about colorfulness in shooters :D

You're definitely right. Gameplay is what's important. :)

NEWSFLASH: reality tends to be brown and grey. In general, combat doesn't take place in amusement parks, and even when there's greenery around, well, it tends to turn into black/grey/brown as its blown to bits and charred. So does most rubble.

What does gameplay have to do with the game's art style? Unless the style is so shit it gets in the way of the player instead of helping them there isn't much impact. Neither should come at the price of the other. 

23 hours ago, Jimmy said:

This thread has shown me that early 90s FPSes were indeed drab as shit. No originality at all! Just dull grey corridors and rooms just like literally all the video games of today are. I guess nothing has changed at all. In light of this revelation, I have created a patch WAD that increases the saturation of every index in the game palette to 200%. Your eyeballs will thank you! I know mine did once I returned from the surgery.

Jimmy, you know I love ya but this is fucking atrocious. 

1 hour ago, Da Werecat said:

And then reality had a post-processing filter.

Yup, it's called "paint".

33 minutes ago, Gothic said:

When you make a thread so bad OP doesn't even dare to look back and reply.

Like op replies to their threads anyway.

4 hours ago, Ryath said:

Very sad to see no one in this thread mentioning this colorful '90s gem.

blake_002.png

What game is that? :)

12 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

What game is that? :)

I think that's blake stone
"Which one?"
The one that looks like that picture ;P