Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AgitatedSkeleton

''Military shooters are too brown and grey''

4 hours ago, Ryath said:

Very sad to see no one in this thread mentioning this colorful '90s gem.

blake_002.png

I detect a suspicious amount of brown and grey in there...a harbinger of Doom? (pun intended)

Just because it has brown doesn't mean it's all like that. It shouldn't matter if a game is all grey, brown, blue, orange, etc.

If you don't mind the constant assault of colors and wolf-like gameplay, it can make for quite the time-waster.

1 hour ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Never played Blake Stone, would anyone recommend it?

It's Wolfenstein 3D with a colourful, retro sci-fi aesthetic. Unlike Wolfenstein 3D, enemies don't get stun locked when you shoot them, which makes it harder to attack multiple enemies at once, and slows the pace down a bit. Story isn't particularly interesting, and the protagonist is a bit of a jerk. It comes with Rise of the Triad anyways, which is a game that I'd highly recommend buying even without Blake stone. I'd recommend at least playing through the first episode. 

Corridor 7 is rubbish.

There is indeed a shareware version. For many people, that will be enough. 

Edited by Ajora

17 hours ago, Maes said:

I detect a suspicious amount of brown and grey in there...a harbinger of Doom? (pun intended)

How dare you. I'll have you know those walls are GOLD.

13 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I would recommend the heck out of it. Personally, I like it way more than Wolf3D or RotT.

1 hour ago, Ryath said:

How dare you. I'll have you know those walls are GOLD.

But that goofy monster that looks like a cross between a Pinky, an Imp and a Mancubus, is definitively brown.

Besides, in the RGB color space at least, "brown" is really technically a shade of orange/dirty yellow, as are some shades of gold.

No one's mentioned old Gameboy games yet!

I can't think of a single one that isn't just black and grays. :p

3 hours ago, obake said:

No one's mentioned old Gameboy games yet!

I can't think of a single one that isn't just black and grays. :p

And yet magazines *cough*Nintendo Power*cough* almost always used colorized Super Gameboy screenshots just to tease you. Even game catalogues/boxes/ads etc. used obviously higher quality screenshots than what the screen could deliver -not higher resolution, but just crisper and with much better colors/contrast, e.g. a "clean" B&W with perfect whites, black and greys, or a very light green/yellow tint, no reflections, no ghosting etc. obviously from an emulator.

quake-gioco.jpg

Quake tends to be one of the main examples people use of an early brown shooter and, it's kind of true. There's splotches of other colors but it's definitely a little more brown than other fpses of that era.

On 05.12.2017 at 4:47 AM, mrthejoshmon said:

Personally I quite enjoyed the shareware episode a while ago. You have an overhead map of the level which shows secret areas that you have found so far (and a percentage of those found), making the hunt for them more fun and less random than in Wolf3D. There's a good variety of textures even within the same episode, and way more different enemies than Wolf3D has. There are also some gameplay elements not very often used in other games of the period like friendly NPCs and vending machines you can buy stuff to replenish health from.

Get the shareware version here. There's also a source port you can play this with in higher resolutions.

Quake is one of the best examples that brown can be very OK if you allow it into your heart. There are different ways to create visually appealing things, and color contrast is only one of them.

Giger is another great example.

Well, most military shooters are supposed to represent gritty, devastated combat environments, and convey a sense of desolation, not Disneyland.

6 hours ago, Maes said:

Well, most military shooters are supposed to represent gritty, devastated combat environments, and convey a sense of desolation, not Disneyland.

Just because a shooter has a lot of colors, doesn't mean it's an amusement park or Disneyland. Real life has a lot of color too.

On Monday, December 04, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Ajora said:

It's Wolfenstein 3D with a colourful, retro sci-fi aesthetic. Unlike Wolfenstein 3D, enemies don't get stun locked when you shoot them, which makes it harder to attack multiple enemies at once, and slows the pace down a bit. Story isn't particularly interesting, and the protagonist is a bit of a jerk. It comes with Rise of the Triad anyways, which is a game that I'd highly recommend buying even without Blake stone. I'd recommend at least playing through the first episode. 

Story? Isn't gameplay important?

20 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Real life has a lot of color too.

Apparently, war makes everything brown automatically. Which explains a lot, actually.

1 hour ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Story? Isn't gameplay important?

Gameplay is always going to be paramount in earlier first person shooters, but there is a fair bit of story text to get through in the game. The game also comes with its own comic book, and you could tell they were really trying to get people to like Blake Stone as a character. They failed in that attempt. 

12 hours ago, Maes said:

Fallout 4 manages to still be a war torn mood, despite being far more colorful than previous entries.

Fallout-4-1-1280x720.jpg

Interestingly enough, I'm always bothered by deserts in "shooter games" being nothing but dark moody broody overcast brown, have people seen how bright and glowy sterotypical deserts (and, by a small extension, canyons) are?

The sky is a multitude of beautiful radiant blues, deep reds and bright oranges (depending on the time, at night they're mostly a crystal clear view to the stars or filled with clouds as it's cool enough for water vapour to condense) which often beautifuly contasts the hot yellow/warm brown sands/stones (which at night either pale to gray, yellow or even blue depending on the moon/stars).

Yet there seems to be a strange focus on darkened, cloudy, overcast post apocalyptic hellscape shitholes and the beauty of deserts are then lost.

-

@MetroidJunkie especially the Glowing Sea with the abyss of green, the yellow pools and the heavily clashing ruins throughout.

5 hours ago, MetroidJunkie said:

Fallout 4 manages to still be a war torn mood, despite being far more colorful than previous entries.

Fallout-4-1-1280x720.jpg

Looks like the average grey urban landscape to me, esp. during riots.

A screenshot comparing Call of Duty to real-life, with Call of Duty looking like an almost black & white version of the real life shot.

hqdefault.jpg

Meanwhile...

Crysis_0131.jpg

While it obviously can't entirely replicate real life in terms of detail, Crysis at least does justice to the color saturation.

Come on, let's not be that absolute...There is some brown in that plank of wood on the right of that first shot.

On 12/6/2017 at 1:42 AM, MetroidJunkie said:

quake-gioco.jpg

Quake tends to be one of the main examples people use of an early brown shooter and, it's kind of true. There's splotches of other colors but it's definitely a little more brown than other fpses of that era.

Yet you forgot to mention Episode 3, which uses other colors...