Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question

Can anyone explain VERY carefully to me how to make a custom sprite? For example a chair or plant? I'm new to doom builder too but I know how to do custom textures now but not sprites or custom music.

3 answers to this question

14 hours ago, SayWhatOneMoreTime said:

Can anyone explain VERY carefully to me how to make a custom sprite? For example a chair or plant? I'm new to doom builder too but I know how to do custom textures now but not sprites or custom music.

Are you asking about how to create custom sprites, or simply include already-created content into your wad via DooM Builder? You cannot use DooM Builder to create new sprites; you'll need a graphics-editing program (such as MS Paint, GIMP, or PhotoShop) for that. The same with custom music - DB cannot be use to create this.

If you're looking to simply include custom sprites and music into your wad, you'll need a resource-management utility such as SLADE.

19 hours ago, SayWhatOneMoreTime said:

...I meant how would I replace the sprite of another sprite like for example replacing the explosive barrel to a propane tank or to make it look different? 

Okay, that makes things much clearer. You simply want to replace the images of existing sprites, with those of custom sprites. You'll still need to use a utility such as SLADE. Here are the basic steps:

1. Make sure you have the same number of images of your custom sprite as the DooM2 sprite. E.g., BAR1A0 & BAR1B0 represent the 2 animations of the nukage in the barrel. You'll need to replace these with 2 images of your propane tank. Note, that your replacement sprite doesn't need to be animated (in other words, you can use the same image of the propane tank for BAR1A0 as well as BAR1B0); however you will need 2 images, even if they are identical. In the case of the barrel, you will also need replacement graphics for the exploding barrel (BEXPAO through BEXPEO). [If you are replacing an item that is not "interactive" in-game, such as the electric column (ELECA0), you obviously don't need to concern yourself with additional sprites, such as the explosion sprites.]

2. Name the replacement images the identical names of the DooM2 sprites, e.g., BAR1A0 & BAR1B0

3. Use SLADE to open the wad into which you wish to insert your replacement sprites.

4. Create a new entry (known as a "lump") and name it "S_START" (without the quotes).

5. Insert your replacement sprites after the S_START entry.

6. Create a new entry after your replacement sprites, and name it "S_END" (without the quotes).

7. Save the file, and you're good to go.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The method above works for wads that don't require vanilla or Chocolate DooM compatibility (i.e., doom.exe, doom2.exe, or chocolate-doom.exe). In other words, you intend to use a source port that does away with this compatibility requirement. If you desire vanilla or Chocolate DooM compatibility, you'll need a utility such as DeHackEd. [More info on DeHackEd can also be found here.]