Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

My first map (for Doom 2) + Dropbox download link

Screenshot_Doom_20171203_151003.png.5eaa7273832da4bdbab0c1ede947f885.pngScreenshot_Doom_20171204_090745.png.8594344e525ed66bfb2ae778ae9a0027.pngScreenshot_Doom_20171204_090757.png.d8488a5aaf00f765c354a50e041ffb91.pngScreenshot_Doom_20171204_090857.png.58ebc4342ee193b84a4c1982533e48fe.pngScreenshot_Doom_20171204_090950.png.51550862342185779ec9e1cc6bbf895a.png

Top screenshot was done in GzDoom to show off the transport ship floating above the landing pad. The other shots are in Zdoom to show how the map "traditionally" would look. 

Screenshot_Doom_20171204_090651.png

This (and a similar spot near the end) aren't good to have as it tricks players into thinking they need to play in a port without infinitely tall actors.

Spoiler

fkRWp1U.png

Otherwise pretty pretty good map, finished it in just under 25 minutes with 92% kills and 50% secrets. I forgot to record an FDA for ya, sorry. ;~;

Gave me an almost vile flesh kinda feel. Hope you get around to uploadin it to idgames friend c:

Good point @bonnie, that was sort of a psyche-out to make the player think that area is explorable, but of course (mild spoilers) that is an area with a shootable switch. I think people will figure it out whether they're playing in x or y port, but I can see how that would be confusing. It's something to be avoided in the future. I will hopefully get it uploaded this week to idgames. I don't think it's been authorized on Moddb yet. I find it odd how difficult people make it to get your maps on official sites.

Edited by GoatLord

Nice map, much better than what I expected from a "my first map". I agree with bonnie though, the first spot in particular: it opens like a door and it's a bit confusing, could be frustrating for someone not realizing the button can be shot from the window.

Also you could add some more info on the first post, in particular the IWAD. I loaded Doom I after reading it's a "reinterpretation of E1M1".

Here's a recording of my playthrough:

@guineu, thanks for the advice! I want to make sure my maps don't confuse people. Now I'm a bit paranoid about that door.

EDIT: Great playthrough. I find it extremely helpful to see how someone plays, to see if they found the layout naturally intuitive or had to noodle around a bit. The secrets you missed might have been found with more thorough exploration, as I tried to use visual markers, so it's interesting to consider how effective I was with implementing them. I like that you explored the sewer from the upper corridor and made your way back to the computer stations. I wanted to encourage a variety of ways to explore and play.

Edited by GoatLord

UAC-M1_1st_2953-2-3310.lmp

MAP01  DEAD  18/170   152  0/119    1/10   3:11+14   0:00
MAP01  EXIT  169/170  1    119/119  10/10  29:53+25  29:53

Very slow first attempt. I didn't see a map format or complevel specified, so I went with boom202, which seemed to mostly work, with some zdoomisms but none that were fatal. One death early on by not reacting fast enough to a revenant at the bottom of a lift. I got stuck looking for a way out of the yellow key area and had to use a map editor, in hindsight my own fault for missing an obvious switch. Also near the end I used iddt to find the last two missing monsters and secrets.

Entertaining enough. I can see the E1M1 inspiration in some areas notably the green armour room but mostly it is not that obvious. Layout appears to have been made sectionally, with highly detailed rooms connected by some quite bare grey corridors. Areas often cramped, with sector furniture, computer consoles, monitor screens, crates, trees, solid hanging bodies, and whatever else dotted around, preventing the player from moving around quickly due to bumping into things constantly. Some nice glimpses of areas yet to be reached or secret areas but overall layout suggests piecemeal additions without overall plan. For some reason much of the map is made out of two-sided lines with closed backsectors, lots of redundant sectors could be removed. Makes everything look like a closed door that could potentially open on the automap. Bug: a demon is placed in void space (thing 99). A spectre (thing 45) is stuck in a grating (line 5583) although that might be intentional? Some pools of blood placed on lifts remain hanging in the air when the lift moves (e.g. thing 324 on sector 771 - reason: in Doom these are MF_NOBLOCKMAP so do not interact with the environment; ZDoom changed this). Also the invulnerability in sector 1209 has little purpose. I suggest replacing it with something else, but not sure what. Thank you for making this.

Hey, wow, what a response, @RjY. I think my maps are tending toward this piecemeal kind of approach and I hope future maps will be a bit smoother. This one is fairly cluttered but the sequel (loosely based on E1M2) is already mostly finished. I can tell from your critique that it has these long weird hallways attempting to connect areas. It's certainly something to take into consideration. The weird redundant sectors and two sided lines...I'm not sure what to say about that, other than I probably chose a somewhat inefficient way to lay out certain areas. I didn't place any blood on any lift, so I dunno what you're referring to there. The only blood puddle is in the crate area with the baron fight. The invulnerability can be useful at the end if you want to jump down into the subway tunnel, but yeah, by that point you've already killed most of them so it's kinda anti-climatic.

7 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I didn't place any blood on any lift, so I dunno what you're referring to there

Perhaps an illustration then.

ofXaGTJ.png

Just now, RjY said:

Perhaps an illustration then.

ofXaGTJ.png

Ah! Ok. I was thinking of sector decorating, not sprites. Never noticed that issue!

For a first map the quality is pretty good, however there are a few things I noticed that could be improved upon. As mentioned earlier the invulnerability feels oddly placed because by the time I got up there all the enemies in the room were dead. Also I don't really see the point behind the imps at the end of the level. I feel like they exist just to harass the player by shooting them from long ranges.

My favorite aspect of the level would have to be the aesthetic. Your use of lighting or lack thereof is done rather well and greatly adds to the atmosphere. In general I can't wait to see what other work you put out in the future. 

Make the sofa smaller! Chairs are OK. Also tell which format do you map in, and if it's modern gzdoom/zandronum, please add sprited chairs (or voxelized). It adds to the atmosphere much if you will use actual furniture instead of sectors.

Almost forgot: this is awesome for the 1st release. Nice detalization. I like the shadow of the shuttle at the beginning.

PS At the beginning you should restrict opening a door when the "gates" are open. If it wes supposed to be a sorta gateway.

Mere_Duke, I can't run modern GzDoom or Zandorum, or QzDoom for that matter. And I don't know how to add new sprites or voxels anyway. So I don't see hat happening. What do you mean about the "gates" thing?

I mean this thing at the very beginning: the "gates", then the door; they shouldn't be opened together, it's a gateway thing right?

The rest of the map done well, I found no mistakes (even looked at the shadow at the beginning and compared it with the ship's actual size :D)

Screenshot_Doom_20180105_210408.png

Ok, I see what you mean. Since it's supposed to be an air lock/depressurization chamber, what you're saying makes sense. I'm going to improve it, and a couple of other things people have mentioned, and then officially release it on Moddb and idarchives. Thanks so much for the feedback.

EDIT: Should be releasing a new version very soon. I've been adding more gameplay and trying to smooth out everything as much as possible. It's a much more exploratory and intense experience now.

Edited by GoatLord