Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gifty

[Pixely Effects Mod / BETA] DEAD MARINE

WUH51j5.jpg

Dead Marine is a weapons/gore/HUD/general enhancement mod for GZdoom which aims to add atmosphere, visual pizzazz, and modern punch to Doom without changing any of the gameplay or mechanics. All additions are meant to be "lore-friendly" and look as close to Id's original style as possible. I've tried to use lo-fi hand-drawn effects and originally sourced sounds (from the same libraries frequented by Bobby Prince!) as much as possible rather than borrowing from other mods or games.

This mod is CURRENTLY IN BETA, which means it's essentially feature-complete but I want to incorporate community feedback and improve a few things before it's considered a proper release! Hopefully I can get a video trailer up for future versions.

>>>DOWNLOAD<<<

ARMS
-A heavier, meaner, more smoothly animated version of Doom's original arsenal
-All-new sounds meant (mostly) to fondly resemble the originals
-No balance or gameplay changes, just extra beef

EFFECTS
-New simple, but fun gore system.
-Minor enemies SNARL when they see you!
-Minor enemies MELT in GOOP!
-Optional "mood sounds" dynamically add ambient sounds to levels. Try turning the music off! (Works best on maps with a decent amount of decorative props)
-Lo-fi particle and sprite effects to spice things up with a 90s flair
-Dead marines leave blood and graffiti on the walls, revealing a dire struggle

Jr76bgd.jpg

SLmaEUK.jpg

TAC-HUD

-Taken from the blocky hard-plastic consoles of yesteryear, your heads-up visor will give you everything you need to survive through a series of VERY GREEN CRT displays for easy readability. Includes readouts for arms, health, and mission statistics, as well as a brief sitrep at the beginning of each level.

CVpqNkg.jpg

Edited by Gifty : updated file link

Update! It's got melties.

-slightly louder armor/health pickups
-new imp death animation (by vader/itsnaturetodie)
-lowered altdeath probability slightly
-added lava melting animations for new death animations
-tac-hud now feeds you monster count at level start

On 12/6/2017 at 2:52 PM, Brewtal_Legend said:

That looks pretty cool. Do you happen to know if it will work with ZdoomLE?

Not sure! I did most of my testing on this mod in the software renderer, but I was still running Gzdoom.

Heeyy, this looks pretty neat! Any plans for how this is gonna turn out around finishing this mod up? If you don't mind, I may throw around a couple suggestions.

Edited by AdirBlaz : I forgot proper english for a minute.

17 hours ago, AdirBlaz said:

Heeyy, this looks pretty neat! Any plans for how this is gonna turn out around finishing this mod up? If you don't mind, I may throw around a couple suggestions.

Yeah go ahead! Suggestions are welcome. My overall plan is to refine the existing effects and get everything as polished as possible, while adding new functionality for the hud. Things like 4:3 support, maybe numbers for the health/armor displays, etc.

2 hours ago, Gifty said:

Yeah go ahead! Suggestions are welcome. My overall plan is to refine the existing effects and get everything as polished as possible, while adding new functionality for the hud. Things like 4:3 support, maybe numbers for the health/armor displays, etc.

I've only had wondered if Zandronum will eventually be able to run the mod so far. Now that I've played through the mod a bit, I'm not sure what to suggest about improvements or additions. Well, aside from fixing the HUD. I play on a rather small resolution, which seems to cause the HUD to drastically upscale, but also it leans a little bit outside the screen, so I only see half of Doomguy's face, and only half of the M/I/S counters.

I love this mod but is unplayable for me because of that "shake" effect when you shoot. It makes me dizzy and after a while I can't play anymore. Even when enemies shoot at you it shakes you sometimes. Please remove these effects

Update today! I polished some of the recoil effects so, while they're not necessarily attenuated, they're a little smoother and may be less irritating for some folks.

-tweaked recoil on most weapons
-slightly improved chaingun flash animation
-first pass on reshading HUD healthbars
-fixed mancubus xdeath not calling the BossDeath script
-player class now defined through mapinfo, not keyconf
-changed armor pickup sprites
-small sound changes (poppier medkits, additional monster sounds, etc.)

Sorry to bump/double post but just a heads-up that the download link has been fixed.

this is super great, feels really good. the new sounds, effects, graphics - everything is really smooth. none of the new visual effects feel out of place in the vanilla game. I feel like a lot of even my other favorite gameplay mods have of visual effects/graphics that are much higher resolution than Doom and therefore feel really out of place, so it feels really good to play with something that fits in perfectly.

you mention in the embedded README that you sourced a bunch of sounds from some libraries that Bobby Prince frequents - would you mind sharing what those are?

Thanks a lot! Most of the sounds are from Stockmusic.com, which hosts the Supersampler library that a lot of Doom sounds (if I remember correctly) hail from. I even managed to find and include some expanded or variant versions of the original sounds. The website is enormous and has a lot of libraries in it, many of which aren't doom-related, but here are some pertinent ones you can check out. https://stockmusic.com/home/all_sound_effect_cds?category=559

EDIT: huh, looks like a lot of their website is kind of broken right now. Anyway, the Supersampler is in there if you ever get a chance to check it out.

33 minutes ago, MangaSky said:

Does this gameplay mod works with both Doom 1 and Doom 2? Or it just for Doom 2?

It works on anything and everything Doom flavoured.

On 6/6/2021 at 2:03 AM, Biodegradable said:

It works on anything and everything Doom flavoured.

Thanks for the heads up!

When will we have an Update?
I'm really missing a new version.

It's no longer enough that Beautiful DOOM and Smooth DOOM are without updates, and Dead Marine will remain that way too, it's basically the best mod in this style.

Hi! I'm very happy to see folks still interested in this mod, I worked hard and put a lot of love into it. No updates are planned right now as I'm mostly busy working on my own game. :D

5 hours ago, Gifty said:

Hi! I'm very happy to see folks still interested in this mod, I worked hard and put a lot of love into it. No updates are planned right now as I'm mostly busy working on my own game. :D

Just don't forget the beloved Dead Marine mod!

But what game are you working on?
I need to take a look at this.

does the mod have options to turn off the gore, hud, and changes to the aesthetics of the level? this mod is basically everything i've wanted from a doom mod but i'm a little queasy, like using my own hud mods, and the idea of accidentally changing the well-crafted vibe of a level throws me off.