Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vorpal

[Texture Wad] Espi Compilation from Hellcore

On 12/4/2017 at 5:40 PM, Vorpal said:

I have included some textures that I am unsure of, they all begin with "XX..." and if anyone knows that they are non-Espi works please let me know.

4 years later I just noticed this thread today via the wiki. I recognize some XX* lumps from a mix of sources:

• XXWOLF17 and XXWOLF4 are taken from the 3D Game Alchemy CD by Justin Fisher of Aliens TC fame.
  • XXROCKS1 is Quake 2's ROCKS19_1 converted to the Doom palette.
  • XXWOLF2 is a green version of ER_BRK08 from Eternal Doom IV.
  • XXFWAT2* animation might be edits of Hexen water textures X_WATER1/W_241-W_244 / flats X_005-X_008, although I haven't done a pixel-by-pixel comparison.
  • XXWOLF1 looks like a re-creation of a Hexen grey brick texture CASTLE07/W_071 (Eternal Doom lump 3BIGRIK4) but I don't know the source.

Adjacent info: Fanatic's unfinished Castle demo for EDGE from 2001 (not on /idgames) has some custom decoration sprites and textures by Espi. It artistically bridges his work between these Hellcore graphics and the more realized Eternal Doom IV texture set. In the text file Fanatic wrote "You MAY NOT use portions of this package in your project(s)!" but that could probably be loosened if he were contacted. Maybe @Lüt can answer whether some of those Castle textures were also used in the unreleased Doom Millennium upgraded levels.