Substance designer for making Doom textures?

Has anybody done this? Obviously it would not work with vanilla/boom doom but has anyone used substance designer or any of the substance programs to create a texture set for Doom/Gzdoom? I am seeing some really sick stuff being made with it so I'm curious if anybody has experimented with it for making Doom texture and/or graphical assets.

Absolutely nobody has ever used substance designer for making Doom textures? This is surprising to me :/

I've never heard of it. Can you post a link to some of the stuff people are making with it that you consider good?

9 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I've never heard of it. Can you post a link to some of the stuff people are making with it that you consider good?

It's basically a node based procedural texture creation tool. Here is speed up video of somebody creating a carpet texture with it:

And another one (this one isn't speed up however) of somebody creating sci-fi floor panels:

Substance designer is extremely powerful and yet it's arguably much easier to learn and faster to use compared to using something like photoshop. It's also become a commonly used piece of software in the gaming industry alongside substance painter which is from the same company.

Edited by hardcore_gamer
1 person likes this

I prefer Quixel, and yes - I'm using it for some part of my hires texture pack as well as for some Doom inspired renders and for textures for Doom Reborn. AFAIK s13n1 use Substance.

1 person likes this

That looks very interesting.  What is the cost of this program compared with the cost of Photoshop (non-subscription version), and is the latest version a buy once own forever?  I refuse to update to Photoshop CC as paying by the month, for all eternity is never a good idea.

Edited by hoover1979

30 minutes ago, hoover1979 said:

That looks very interesting.  What is the cost of this program compared with the cost of Photoshop (non-subscription version), and is the latest version a buy once own forever?  I refuse to update to Photoshop CC as paying by the month, for all eternity is never a good idea.

I bought the substance pack on steam (note that you will still have to create an account on their website, but linking it to your steam account is quick and painless) because it was on a 45% offer for about 200 dollars. It included the latest version of substance designer, substance painter and B2M. I believe you own the programs forever but aren't entitled to future upgrades. 200 dollars for 3 industry grade programs isn't terribly high. And it's easily a million times better value for money than photoshop. Don't know if the discount is still there though. If you want to buy these programs I strongly recommend just buying the entire substance pack since it can save you considerable amounts of money and buying SD without SP is stupid anyway since the 2 programs are often used together.

Edited by hardcore_gamer
1 person likes this

On 08/12/2017 at 8:13 AM, hardcore_gamer said:

I bought the substance pack on steam (note that you will still have to create an account on their website, but linking it to your steam account is quick and painless) because it was on a 45% offer for about 200 dollars. It included the latest version of substance designer, substance painter and B2M. I believe you own the programs forever but aren't entitled to future upgrades. 200 dollars for 3 industry grade programs isn't terribly high. And it's easily a million times better value for money than photoshop. Don't know if the discount is still there though. If you want to buy these programs I strongly recommend just buying the entire substance pack since it can save you considerable amounts of money and buying SD without SP is stupid anyway since the 2 programs are often used together.

I will look into it.  I finally and begrudgingly migrated to Photoshop CC.  I still want to build a large gallery of professional graphics programs to meddle with for modding (and maybe one day working for a game dev?).