Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dirk

Doom: Did it really look that bad back in the day?

I think a lot of older shooters tend to look better at low resolutions because when you're working with a certain medium, you're going to try and make the game look the best it can on that medium, thus there's a very specific balance of visual elements that gets thrown off once you add extra resolution. Once you add extra resolution you have to figure out how to re-balance the scenes and fill in the gaps that weren't apparent originally. This is actually why I love GZDoom's ambient occlusion; it fills everything in very nicely in a way that dynamic lights, filters and high-res textures don't.

Edited by Marnetstapler

On 12/7/2017 at 10:19 AM, Da Werecat said:

Also, I believe modern displays are getting the colors kinda wrong. I think the lows are supposed to be lower. They're very jarring now, and a lot of the art assets' imperfections are being exposed.

CRTs are emissive displays that produce their own light; LCDs are lit from an external source. The backlight of an LCD flattens the dynamic range by casting light on parts of the screen that are supposed to be dark, producing the effect.