Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

"Send them to Coventry" mentality pervading Youtube

Slightly irked and I have some questions about how Youtube works.

AVGN came out with a new episode that had a sponsor, which I don't mind, but I very much mind when it's deeply rooted in microtransactions which IMO are inherently predatory. I said as much. I have notifications that I had a couple replies. Now, I see no such replies, and opening the same comment section in a Tor window shows that my comment is in fact no longer publicly visible.

https://imgur.com/a/qru20

Now, perhaps the second one was automatically tossed due to having a link in it, but I suspect that Mike probably blocked me. If he did, that's frankly petty of him. I didn't really say anything different from so many other comments that are still up there.

I'm not here to complain about that part, actually. What bothers me is that Youtube's UI hides it. That's dishonest, if my comment is gone, I want to fucking know.

EDIT: Don't even care about the Mike thing, that was just a springboard for broader topic and it was promptly resolved without issue. It was clumsy of me (and perhaps vain) to start the thread like that, I should be more careful next time.

Edited by Blastfrog

3 hours ago, Coopersville said:

Mike's a motherfucker. 

Yes, after making those racist comics and posting a dick pic in r/thecinemassacre, then banning everyone who discussed it and discussing Bootsy, and removing every mod of that subreddit.

I absolutely loathe when websites or services don't tell you that you're banned or blocked. I don't care what the reason was, tell me why and when it happened so I can stop wasting my time posting or whatever and not getting any result.

Mike is a prick, plain and simple. Better yet, stop watching AVGN still attempting to continue his early glory days.

17 hours ago, Sgt Jack V said:

Yes, after making those racist comics and posting a dick pic in r/thecinemassacre, then banning everyone who discussed it and discussing Bootsy, and removing every mod of that subreddit.

I didn't know about this, sounds juicy though.

22 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

I didn't really say anything different from so many other comments that are still up there.

Not trying to single you out, but its funny that so many people take their freedom of expression so seriously despite you already noticing this about your own message.

18 hours ago, Nevander said:

I absolutely loathe when websites or services don't tell you that you're banned or blocked. I don't care what the reason was, tell me why and when it happened so I can stop wasting my time posting or whatever and not getting any result.

Shadow bans? They did that so people have no idea they are banned, making it more annoying to make alts since you'll need to see if you were shadow banned. If it is on reddit you can message reddit admins.

Why don't you people report him to admins anyway? He'll get perma banned from the site.

I guess that explains why he's been having more videos lately. It used to be one every 2 months. Now it seems like every 2 or 3 weeks. I'll have to check out whatever sponsored video he's doing.

20 hours ago, Nevander said:

Doomworld doesn't tell you why you end up in that other place.

"I didn't say anything THAT different from other comments"

*Here's a comment 5 times as long as anybody else's*

"Let me comment about how my comment was removed that will surely catch people's attention!"

"Here's a useless comment"

I dunno man looks like this was a public service to spare optometrist visits from thousands of people rolling their eyes too hard.

42 minutes ago, Decay said:

I dunno man looks like this was a public service to spare optometrist visits from thousands of people rolling their eyes too hard.

Savage LOL

For the record, it would appear that Mike unblocked me after I asked him about it on Twitter. I was expecting either nothing to happen or that I'd get blocked from his Twitter too, heh. I sincerely appreciate that he retracted it, a fan being critical of a questionable move is not a very good reason to block them.

While I was slightly irritated with the temporary block, it's honestly nothing and it's resolved.

I really made this thread to talk about Youtube in a larger context, how the site has been redesigned with a strong reliance on "send them to Coventry". I'm sure adpocalypse needs no mentioning, Youtube are effectively blacklisting certain content creators and making things disproportionately harder based on some arbitrary secret metrics.

Oh, and of course they lie about it, flat denial of the obvious truth that there is a blacklist system in place. There are too many weird things in the monetization process to be coincidence.

6 hours ago, Pegg said:

Why don't you people report him to admins anyway? He'll get perma banned from the site.

This is rather vague, who are you talking about?

3 hours ago, Decay said:

"I didn't say anything THAT different from other comments"

The sentiment was the same.

3 hours ago, Decay said:

*Here's a comment 5 times as long as anybody else's*

Perhaps it's because I didn't wanna write "SELLOOOUUUTT!!!!11" like many others were doing? Forgive me for actually giving a shit.

3 hours ago, Decay said:

"Let me comment about how my comment was removed that will surely catch people's attention!"

I don't care what other people think about the comment getting removed, even though I posted it publicly (fruitless as it was), it was directed at Mike.

3 hours ago, Decay said:

"Here's a useless comment"

Clearly the joke flew over your head, and it was merely a test to see if I was really blocked (tried on a different video than the previous two screencaps). If it went through I would've deleted it immediately.

3 hours ago, Decay said:

Or maybe you're just a prick who wants to grasp at straws and misconstrue everything because you like to pick on people you have disdain for. Get bent.

Edited by Blastfrog

Wowee, thanks for quoting me 5 times! I definitely would have never have been able to piece together your reply had you just quoted me in a block, or even simply summarized my post. Way to go, you did it. I think I need to go the optometrist now though..........

Well, considering your antagonistic attitude toward me, I'm quite pleased to hear that my excessive verbosity has caused you some form of discomfort in return. :P

I shouldn't even be responding at this point (I suspect you're merely trying to get a rise out of me), but I might as well say one more thing in response.

I made this thread to talk about the seeming rise of websites using "send them to Coventry" tactics, and to foster debate on whether it has appropriate uses and how far it should be taken. I used the Cinemassacre thing to springboard from, I put no actual emotional weight into it, mild irritation for a few hours and then nothing. No, what pisses me off is the increasing use of what I see as manipulative tactics by large and influential websites to shape social interaction more to their pleasing.

In closing, if you only intend to shit up my thread with personal attacks rather than focusing on the thread subject, then I implore you to go waste someone else's time.

I think that the attitude is fine when it's in the right hands, but the problem is people with bad hands who think they have good, capable hands. They don't. it all falls to shit

The apocalypse is an old Youtuber gripe. The new one is how Patreon wants 35 cents per transaction as if its PayPal or something.

2 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

Well, considering your antagonistic attitude toward me, I'm quite pleased to hear that my excessive verbosity has caused you some form of discomfort in return. :P

I shouldn't even be responding at this point (I suspect you're merely trying to get a rise out of me), but I might as well say one more thing in response.

I made this thread to talk about the seeming rise of websites using "send them to Coventry" tactics, and to foster debate on whether it has appropriate uses and how far it should be taken. I used the Cinemassacre thing to springboard from, I put no actual emotional weight into it, mild irritation for a few hours and then nothing. No, what pisses me off is the increasing use of what I see as manipulative tactics by large and influential websites to shape social interaction more to their pleasing.

In closing, if you only intend to shit up my thread with personal attacks rather than focusing on the thread subject, then I implore you to go waste someone else's time.

I can understand why you two argue as 1 of your avatars is either cosplay or fan art of the other.