Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

We don't need 3D models! But we do need...

15 hours ago, Maes said:

It's the tallest sprite, yet it looks absolutely tiny next to that Mummy and Chthulhu guy. Still think they would look good if I just blindly halved their dimensions and applied the Doom palette to them? What if they were not even meant to be that tall if resized to scale? E.g. the Mummy guy seems more appropriate for Imp-size, while Chtulhu  strikes me more as Baron-sized.

These were for a different game. For Doom you would adjust them to size and then process them to match the palette and gamma of the target game. 

Neither of which changes the fact that models are the best way of getting your raw reference images to work from .

11 hours ago, Tea Monster said:

Neither of which changes the fact that models are the best way of getting your raw reference images to work from .

Well, they are a way to get reference images, indeed, and even hand drawing is more convenient if done over an existing sprite used as a template. But even the best model should be viewed as exactly that:  a template, no more and no less, especially if the final medium is as limited as Doom was.

My "gripe", so to speak, comes from those projects that thought that using models (of any kind) was a sufficient, one-step method, only to be overwhelmed by the per-sprite postprocessing work. At that point, you might have just as well used a generic, posable artist's dummy as a template and draw around it.