Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
traversd

BYTESIZE maps

Just started map04. I have to say that these maps so far have been rather good fun, chaotic but fun. The chaingun is just a saving grace for me, glad there is plenty of ammo.

An interesting limit as well. I must admit I did look at them in slade first and thought WTF is this, but it kinda works.

FYI: I have just played the first three so far.

This was fun. You used the space well because the maps did not feel cramped or even that small. There were spots that certainly required some well thought movement and weapon choosing. I did feel ammo was maybe a little bit short. Well, bullets, anyway. I do like when wads force you to think about ammo, but I wasn't able to "properly" finish map 3. I literally had no ammo and plenty of foes to kill so I just had to exit. That being said, I did actually have 120 cells but had not found a plasma gun. 

Health was at a pretty good level. I spent a lot of time in the 40-60 range, but I'm not the greatest player ever. The result was constant medium-high tension/fear, but there was always a welcome stimpack or medikit to keep me from dying (for the most part).

Hey, you could change dl=0 into dl=1 for automatic download. Just saying for future reference. 

1 hour ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Hey, you could change dl=0 into dl=1 for automatic download. Just saying for future reference. 

Done! Thanks for the tip :)

I love line limit restrictions because you have to really think about how and why you layout your map.

I don't use fancy tricks like unclosed sectors though. I'm too vanilla for that :)

1 hour ago, Capellan said:

I love line limit restrictions because you have to really think about how and why you layout your map.

I don't use fancy tricks like unclosed sectors though. I'm too vanilla for that :)

Many of the unclosed sectors have been used simply to split linedefs vertically for applying 2 or 3 textures to a wall. A godsend when you can't add in trim, alcoves etc :)

The thought of unclosed sectors is truly horrific for me, not sure why thou. Still enjoying the maps so far btw, really good work.

FDA dump: noisy_BYTESYZE_v0_2.zip

These were great fun actually.  11 maps is probably the right number, so both the visual style and the clusterfuck-with-an-archvile-in-the-middle gameplay doesn't wear out.

Map06 was the hardest.

good job