Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Havok

What Doom books are worth getting?

I'm looking for any Doom books worth getting excluding fiction. I'm not interested in books about Doom 3 and onwards, only books about the original Doom games.

Are any of these editing books any good? I realise some of the editing methods and tools will be out of date but I think the theory of how to create good levels will still be useful info as I haven't seen much info online about how to create good maps.

• 3D Game Alchemy for Doom, Doom II, Heretic, and Hexen
  • The Doom Construction Kit: Mastering and Modifying Doom. Only the CD that came with the book is on Archive.org. The actual book PDF isn't on the CD.
  • The Doom Game Editor. The CD on Archive.org doesn't have the book on it.
  • The Doom Hacker's Guide. The CD on Archive.org doesn't have the book on it.
  • Tricks of the Doom Gurus

Apparently 3D Game Alchemy is considered the second edition of "Tricks of the Doom Gurus" and a copy is included with the Level Master II compilation. So there's no point in getting Tricks of the Doom Gurus. However I downloaded the Instant Doom Levels - Level Master II CD from Archive.org and the ebook on the CD says it's "Tricks of the Doom Gurus First Edition" NOT 3D Game Alchemy and it's 896 pages long. I thought it was supposed to be the 2nd edition? Also none of the page numbers it mentioned in the contents of the PDF are accurate. 

I downloaded the "3D Game Alchemy" CD from Archive.org but the ebook on the CD is only 56 pages long. The physical book is 750 pages long.

Edited by Havok

AFAIK there is barely any theory in these, it's mostly just "how to make a door". Don't expect anything particularly enlightening.

Hank Leukart's Hacker's Guide to Doom was quite excellent for its time, IMO, as far as editing books go.