Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TurrboAnklet

Which monster is the most "satisfying" to kill?

Nothing quite so satisfying like holding down the fire button with a shotgun and mowing down a stream of zombies and imps as they turn a corner.

On 2017/12/9 at 9:43 PM, MetroidJunkie said:

I'm partial to the Arachnotron. Probably because of the distinct crashing sound, really gives some weight behind its death.

To me, another reason is that you definitely know the third full blast of SSG would kill an Arachnotron. Cacodemons and Mancubi are in some awkward HP position, so you can't get the feeling that you can't kill one for sure.

Killing a cyber with 2 bfg shots, killing a rev with 2 ssg shots, and killing an arach with the ssg. Those are my favorites, I think.

Arachs are like the perfect monster. They force you to deal with them without dealing a huge amount of damage, they have a predictable firing pattern so you can multitask more easily, they're big so it's easy to get good ssg shots on them, and they give you a ton of space when they die.

Large groups of low tier enemies with a chain gun. That Budda Budda Budda is just... Zen. 

16 hours ago, CasualScrub said:

There's something very satisfying about watching a Mancubus just melt off its skin after it dies, leaving its bloody bones. Don't know why, but I just revel in that every time.

If Mancubus death is your favorite you're going to love it even more in Doom 64 as their spine remains intact, standing up.

2 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

Killing a cyber with 2 bfg shots

Oh, yeah, I especially like the gratuitous pushback on a monster that barely shows any

I'd have to agree with Archviles. I've played enough maps where you hear the "URRRR" and explosion of a cyberdemon dying but you need him for infighting. I don't recall ever needing an archvile to live. Hearing that murloc warcry when a vile dies is music to my ears. 

Cant believe nobody has mentioned barons yet.. mainly when you get a double/triple/multi kill on them with bfg and you get to hear a stereo chorus of death. The sound they make as they turn inside out is one of the best sound effects in doom.

I always love fucking up The Archvile's shit, they deserve the most painful death possible!

Edited by Countess Bathory

It's gotta be revenants, especially if it's with your last 2 shells hot out the barrel of your ssg so the reloading sound doesn't get in the way of that bone crunching

Definitely the Arachnotron.

With Doom Expanded, lots of monsters feel so much more satisfying to kill, with the demon and arachnotron both having pieces blown off at times, and seeing and hearing an arachnotron's metal leg bounce around the room, as it does its oh-so-satisfying shut down death sound, just feels GOOD.

Definitely Cyberdemons. Watching them go up in flames is quite the sight. :P

Archviles and Pain Elementals tie as second.

Cacodemon.  Watching the eye pop out as they fall to the ground and leave behind a huge corpse is magical.

There's just something about blue goo.  Dragoons in StarCraft were always satisfying to kill.

It'll forever be The Spider Mastermind for me. The echoing cry, that tiny little pause, and then the explosion. As a kid I always had this strange imagination of that's how a skyscraper would sound tumbling over. It's just so good. Always feels epic. Especially when you kill it from really far away with the RL or BFG, that way the SFX don't collide with each other.

Arachnotrons are an extremely close second (people know what's up with the SSG method). Barons third, their death cries are so savage. (Sorry Manc)

On 12/10/2017 at 3:44 AM, 40oz said:

theres always a distinct feeling of relief whenever the archvile in the middle of the horde dies.

This. Since my original post and after finishing Plutonia I reached the same conclusion. But Archviles and Revenants.

Multiple revenants or arachnotrons with bfg.  Having a nice grouping and downing them all with one good bfg shot, hearing the death sounds stack up; hardly anything more satisfying for me.