Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TurrboAnklet

Which monster is the most "satisfying" to kill?

Seeing a croud of zombiemen and shotgunners and unloading on them with a super shotgun is soooooooooo satisfying.

Not a monster, but my favorite death animation is the marine's death - so eternally satisfying in a DM to just zoom up to your enemy, blast the fucker point blank with a load of buckshot and watch the slow, pronounced death animation of the marine reaching for his throat in a futile effort to stop the blood flow. I don't see that level of desperation in any other enemy's death and it satisfies me on some sick primal level. Bonus points if the enemy starts flinging insults at you via chat, just makes it that much more rewarding. Not gonna get that reaction outta the hellspawn!

Ripping a Cacodemon open with a chainsaw is magnificent.

Edited by Dreamskull : Punching a pinky into the dirt is almost as satisfying...

I always loved to see how Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind are dying. 
In my childhood I thought that Cyberdemon is undead, he's only teleports leaving his feet.

I love when zombies and imps are dying after my rocket launcher.

I feel like a lot of satisfaction comes from killing things in specific ways in Doom:

2-shotting a cyberdemon

Placing a single BFG perfectly to kill multiple viles with the tracers

Spamming rockets into Hellknight hordes

Dancing that circle strafe around Revenant rockets when fighting large hordes in hallways

BFGing Caco swarms

Pushing through imps with the rocket launcher

Flick-shotting Chaingunners with the SSG

i know there are a lot of peeps here that dont like brutal doom...but man, its extremely satisfying to me when i'm walking from imp to imp or even pinkies with a super shotgun and just blowing them into bloody gibbly bits with one blast from that thing....i could do that all day.

53 minutes ago, mjf6866 said:

i know there are a lot of peeps here that dont like brutal doom...but man, its extremely satisfying to me when i'm walking from imp to imp or even pinkies with a super shotgun and just blowing them into bloody gibbly bits with one blast from that thing....i could do that all day.

Same. I shoot one barrel per time on the weaker enemies. Bang, imp flies to the wall. Bang, zombieman rolls across the floor. Reload, double bang and cacodemon pops to pieces. That's some satisfying killing.

6 hours ago, mjf6866 said:

> The way zombiemen sometimes spin as they fall and their rifle shoots a few bullets into the air.

> The way you can shoot a zombie so hard with the Minigun they just stand there with their limbs and chunks flying off, stumbling back, until you let go of the trigger, when they fall down.

> The way you can just disassemble a zombie at point blank.

> The way you can simply dispose of a sergeant with a single headshot, and it hangs there for a second with a huge hole in its skull before falling over.

Really, there's a reason BD's gore is so loved. It's exactly like what a hypothetical super-advanced Doom must have thought like to a person in 1993.

On 1/30/2018 at 1:15 PM, Rifle Infantry said:

Really, there's a reason BD's gore is so loved. It's exactly like what a hypothetical super-advanced Doom must have thought like to a person in 1993.

I guess I never thought of gore as a huge aspect of Doom and I've been playing it for 20 years. I've always continued to play it because it has incredibly solid mechanics, a solid array of weapons and interesting monster balance.

I always loved taking down enemies with the shotgun, the basic one. Taking down imps and revenants is too much fun for me. Somebody mentioned sniping with the shotgun, so much fun that is. It really is the weapon I use the most, even if I'm holding the SSG.

On 30/01/2018 at 2:15 AM, Rifle Infantry said:

Yeah, I tend to think that if they could have made Doom like Brutal Doom back then, they would have. The game was always about hyper fantasy violence and fast action, BD just expands on what already exists. Doom like many games, feels like it was released because not much more could/was felt could be done, rather than a final product with no other ideas to it. With all the flak it got for it's violence, it only makes sense that excessive is what they were going for, and BD just extends that. Plenty of games would have been more than what they are, if they could have been, that doesn't speak for every game, but with Doom, they wanted hyper violence...and we got it, somewhat. Now BD makes it more hyper.

But people say it's too much, I don't think so but others do and I can't really fault them for it, we all have our own tastes. So if Doom was released as BD is...then there'd be many mods taking away the violence and making it more like the usual. Which is cool, all that flexibility. I also get that BD changes a lot of other things, which I can fully understand why people might not like it, the enemies, weapons, vehicles, physics and general way it plays and operates I can see being a problem for some.

That being said, it isn't the be all end all mod, it is nice to play other things too.

On 1/31/2018 at 4:21 PM, Xegethra said:

Yeah, I tend to think that if they could have made Doom like Brutal Doom back then, they would have. The game was always about hyper fantasy violence and fast action, BD just expands on what already exists. Doom like many games, feels like it was released because not much more could/was felt could be done, rather than a final product with no other ideas to it. With all the flak it got for it's violence, it only makes sense that excessive is what they were going for, and BD just extends that.

People sometimes forget that when Doom came out, the violence and gore took the world by storm and some people couldn't handle it and were concerned about what it would do to future generations.

At the same time, John Romero has said that he sometimes wonders what it would've been like if the Doom they released in 1993 was effectively Brutal Doom. So, it has occurred to them, at least going forward in time.

On 2/1/2018 at 5:03 PM, Pegleg said:

People sometimes forget that when Doom came out, the violence and gore took the world by storm and some people couldn't handle it and were concerned about what it would do to future generations.

At the same time, John Romero has said that he sometimes wonders what it would've been like if the Doom they released in 1993 was effectively Brutal Doom. So, it has occurred to them, at least going forward in time.

If it had been released in 1993 and looked like Brutal Doom, the same sanctimonious politicians who run America and lecture others about violence when they have no problem sending young men off to die in foreign lands would have tried to get the game banned permanently.

Remember how they squawked about how violent video games were the source of all society's problems?  I can certainly imagine Romero being called in front of Congress to be yelled at by these same people.  

19 minutes ago, Master O said:

If it had been released in 1993 and looked like Brutal Doom, the same sanctimonious politicians who run America and lecture others about violence when they have no problem sending young men off to die in foreign lands would have tried to get the game banned permanently.

Remember how they squawked about how violent video games were the source of all society's problems?  I can certainly imagine Romero being called in front of Congress to be yelled at by these same people.  

Dee Snider (lead singer of Twisted Sister, in case anyone doesn't know) was once called in front of Congress to testify about heavy metal and he saw himself as carrying the banner for heavy metal to defend it against the charges that it was responsible for all the ills of society. He took the Congressional committee to school that day. He didn't show up in costume and makeup, but he was victorious anyway.

Perhaps Romero would've been similarly victorious.