Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
⇛Marnetmar⇛

The police are holding you at gunpoint.

24 minutes ago, fraggle said:

you still find people bending over backwards to argue the case that the cop did nothing wrong.

All they had to do was finish cuffing the lady and then both officers move towards the guy lying down, made him stay still, and one officer cuffed and the other looked out. Fucking. SIMPLE. The whole arms on head, legs crossed, keep them crossed and kneel (how the fuck are you even supposed to do that without moving around?), putting hands back up, crawling (WHICH REQUIRES YOU TO KNEEL AGAIN)... like did the cop expect the guy to float towards him? Like what the hell kind of process is that? Just move up and cuff the dude, use your police training to work as a team and handle it.

1 hour ago, MetroidJunkie said:

I've always been in favor of Body Cams, not only to catch bad cops but to protect the good ones. They'll have evidence of their innocence.

What's the point?  To get the public upset after the fact?  This particular footage was only released days ago after the trial and not-guilty verdict.  It was inadmissible in court and the jurors never saw it during trial.

It is also worth pointing out that the officer barking out orders was not the shooter.  IIRC there were 4 or 5 officers with rifles drawn on the suspect throughout the encounter.  Also, this occurred in Maricopa county Arizona, which is fucking ground zero for systemic law enforcement abuses in the US.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

All they had to do was finish cuffing the lady and then both officers move towards the guy lying down, made him stay still, and one officer cuffed and the other looked out. Fucking. SIMPLE. The whole arms on head, legs crossed, keep them crossed and kneel (how the fuck are you even supposed to do that without moving around?), putting hands back up, crawling (WHICH REQUIRES YOU TO KNEEL AGAIN)... like did the cop expect the guy to float towards him? Like what the hell kind of process is that? Just move up and cuff the dude, use your police training to work as a team and handle it.

I don't get what's so hard about making the suspect raise his hands, put his hands behind his head, and get on his knees. I thought that was the standard position to be in, what's with this crawling crap? It honestly seems like the cop was trying to coax the guy into doing something that would "seem" threatening enough to shoot him.

13 minutes ago, MetroidJunkie said:

It honestly seems like the cop was trying to coax the guy into doing something that would "seem" threatening enough to shoot him.

That's exactly what he was trying to do. Scum should be behind bars.

2 hours ago, Quast said:

What's the point?  To get the public upset after the fact?  This particular footage was only released days ago after the trial and not-guilty verdict.  It was inadmissible in court and the jurors never saw it during trial.

This right here is the crux of the cop issues in the US. A not guilty ruling for something so blatantly wrong? The jurors not even getting to see the footage? That's just completely unacceptable and unjust in every way.

Then we need to change that and fast. What more proof do you need than video freaking evidence? How is that not admissible in court? Countless cases were decided by grainy security footage.

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

That's just completely unacceptable and unjust in every way.

Welcome to America.

A place where people can get away with racially-motivated torture and kidnapping of a mentally disabled man because we want to avoid political/racial backlash, so instead they get 4 years probation, no jail or prison time, and 200 hours of community service. Meanwhile a white dude in Florida vandalizes a Mosque and gets 15 years. It was super shitty what the last guy did, but compare the two crimes. Obviously there's something fundamentally wrong with our justice system.

People in power are too afraid of backlash from the world, their image, and who knows what else so they instead do the thing with the least risk to themselves, even if it's not justice. We need some Judge Dredd type shit up in here or people who know what's up and don't give a fuck about image to actually start dispensing actual justice, and we need it soon or else we're gonna be looking at another civil war.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

We need some Judge Dredd type shit up in here or people who know what's up and don't give a fuck about image to actually start dispensing actual justice

That is a bad idea, a very bad idea.

4 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

That is a bad idea, a very bad idea.

How do you know? It works in the movies.

6 hours ago, Nevander said:

People in power are too afraid of backlash from the world, their image, and who knows what else so they instead do the thing with the least risk to themselves, even if it's not justice. We need some Judge Dredd type shit up in here or people who know what's up and don't give a fuck about image to actually start dispensing actual justice, and we need it soon or else we're gonna be looking at another civil war.

Fzchlba.jpg?1

7 hours ago, Nevander said:

We need some Judge Dredd type shit up in here or people who know what's up and don't give a fuck about image to actually start dispensing actual justice, and we need it soon or else we're gonna be looking at another civil war.

I have yet to hear of an actual judge that gives a flying fuck as to how you feel about the sentence you are to receive.

Wanna adjust something? Then maybe start adressing the kind of stuff Neurosis pointed out, instead of resorting to a dystopian wild-west kind of "system".

Oh wait, you were trolling, right?

Not trolling at all. What I'm saying is if the current justice system can't handle appropriate sentencing, we need someone or something that can. In other words I am agreeing with Neurosis, except I'm saying the way things are now it's not gonna work.

Why was that video inadmissible in court? it was a body camera right?? That lad was dead the moment the copper pointed the gun at him.

Neurosis is correct with his view, the laws/courts are bullshit, designed to protect the people that will kick up the most stink, thats world wide thou. In Britain some numpty got a year sentence for wrapping bacon around a door handle belonging to a Muslim, however you can imagine who was waiting for him in prison and the lad was killed, it was by all means a death sentence and probably done as a message to the rest of us.

Guess the message is.. don't do stupid things or let yourself get into a position where you end up with a gun pointed at you. I don't think anything can change this, not at the moment anyway.  

9 hours ago, Nevander said:

How do you know? It works in the movies.

Interestingly enough, an overly harsh judgement system designed to quell the chaos of a post apocalyptic shithole where 95% of all punishments are death right on the spot doesn't seem compatible with the current day because, get this, the world hasn't ended yet.

I'm also sure a hardcore 666 brutal death metal police force with a licences to kill at their own discretion who carry round hardware capable of mangling entire blocks are a great way to start and solidify actual 100% totalitarianism and fascism so be very careful what you wish for.

I know that America's justice system is incredibly corrupt, but it's better than the alternative of allowing police officers the right to sentence people to death by their own discretion. That's just insane.

Ok forget Judge Dredd... my point was we need a system where true justice can be dispensed correctly without fear of public backlash or ridicule from anyone to anyone. Basically a system where there's no prejudice, no discrimination, no bias, and most importantly a punishment/sentence that fits the crime. There's no way in hell that vandalism should ever get more time than torture, kidnapping, and racism-driven hate. It's absurd and we need change in this system.

29 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Basically a system where there's no prejudice, no discrimination, no bias

Would be nice, but I don't think it's possible 

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

I know that America's justice system is incredibly corrupt, but it's better than the alternative of allowing police officers the right to sentence people to death by their own discretion.

Isn't that what basically happens in these videos?

20 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

Isn't that what basically happens in these videos?

Police are allowed to kill people if their lives, or the lives of others are in imminent danger, and better options aren't available. I realise this doesn't always happen. I recently watched a video of a police officer murdering an unarmed exterminator because he was seen with an air rifle that he used to kill insects (in an open carry state) at a hotel. The cop was drunk with power, and kept giving contradicting instructions. It's very hard to watch. The cop was acquitted. 

Judges have the right to execute criminals at will. They are the law.

8 hours ago, Liberation said:

Why was that video inadmissible in court? it was a body camera right??

Serious answer?  Corruption.  Both the defense attorney and the prosecutor asked that the bodycam footage be sealed until after trial and the judge granted the motion.  Why would the prosecution want evidence withheld?  Because the defendant was a police officer .  They all play for the same team.

I hold the police at gunpoint, yell inconsistent commands at them, and tell them to shut up when they ask for clarification. Two can play this game!

8 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Judges don't happily decide it is time for capital punishment left and right, They also aren't typically police officers..

We were specifically talking about these judges.

dredd_2330983a.jpg

15 minutes ago, Impie said:

I hold the police at gunpoint, yell inconsistent commands at them, and tell them to shut up when they ask for clarification. Two can play this game!

Careful with those edges

22 minutes ago, Quast said:

Serious answer?  Corruption.  Both the defense attorney and the prosecutor asked that the bodycam footage be sealed until after trial and the judge granted the motion.  Why would the prosecution want evidence withheld?  Because the defendant was a police officer .  They all play for the same team.

Bloody hell... I should of guessed. 

27 minutes ago, Impie said:

lol no u dont