Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THMG

4800 Hell Knights: A Community Megawad [IN NEED OF NEW LEADERSHIP]

1 minute ago, Nevander said:

I was going to do this in my level regardless, since it adds to the theme.

Also I am starting to think maybe we should nix the rule about it being one continuous area. So many rules have changed, this one could change too because it's quite restricting to be honest. Doors and stuff should be allowed now, so we can make the best possible maps we can. We have no slot limits now, allowed to use UDMF, etc. Why not allow doors at this point?

In fact, the only real rules I think should matter are 150 Hell Knights per map (no more, no less) and 1 Megasphere (no more, no less).

It's not my project so I'm not trying to hijack it but I am simply stating my opinion at this stage of the development.

i kinda like keeping the "no real doors" idea, because it still gives the project a little challenge, and considering all the liberties already given to mappers (such as having non royal monsters), I personally believe it would deviate way too much from the original concept. I'm all for mappers making clever ways to still ad details and such while still making it one "huge room". But if this changes it will still be fun, but personally i'm still going to try and make it one whole room.

Yeah I think the "one room" stipulation is key for me. It's that and the HKs that are the core of what makes this a really interesting design challenge imho

Those people who say to remove "one room" rule, they probably lack of ideas on their maps. IMHO is just my criticism.

There anyway is possible to add as example, huge ambush closet with some important progression switches inside.

Ok if we can't use doors can we use bars to separate areas? Technically it's still a continuous area, but separated by bars now. If we can do this, I don't see why we can't use doors.

I've done.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0ncgj1rcyw9f7c6/ashelves.zip

"Shelves of anxiety" by riderr3
For 4800 Hell Knights Community Project.

Advanced engine needed: Boom
Music: Sorcerer's Apprentice.mid
Single Player: Designed for
Cooperative: Yes
Deathmatch: No
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Build Time: 9 days
Editor(s) used: GZDoomBuilder-bugfix, SLADE3, WadSpy
Tested With: PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4
Additional Credits to: gtsgreece for skybox, David G for new book shelves

Authors MAY use the contents of this file as a base for
modification or reuse.  Permissions have been obtained from original
authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file.

9 hours ago, Nevander said:

Ok if we can't use doors can we use bars to separate areas? Technically it's still a continuous area, but separated by bars now. If we can do this, I don't see why we can't use doors.

If this bars are floors just moving from ceiling to floor, why not. Map editor have actions section "Door" which have D1/DR/G1/GR/S1/SR door functions - those are not accepted. Location also should looks like one place, except closets and ambushes.

The whole point of this project is to make maps that are one room with 150 hell knights and a megasphere. Like a door, these bars would be turning it into two rooms.

1 hour ago, Empyre said:

The whole point of this project is to make maps that are one room with 150 hell knights and a megasphere. Like a door, these bars would be turning it into two rooms.

Things like this should be clarified in rules from the very beginning. Main problem in this project the constant change of rules scares off potential map authors. I've done my part anyway. Personally for me, the main thing in this project was participation and experience, regardless of whether the project will be completed or abandoned.

1 minute ago, riderr3 said:

Things like this should be clarified in rules from the very beginning. Main problem in this project the constant change of rules scares off potential map authors. I've done my part anyway. Personally for me, the main thing in this project was participation and experience, regardless of whether the project will be completed or abandoned.

The rules should be finalized. Some amount of drift can be expected as questions are raised that the OP didn't anticipate. Eventually though, the rules just need to set. It's been almost 3 weeks since the project was established, with a fair amount of discussion about the structure of the project. At this point, I think, the OP should just set the rules and be done with it (barring some sort of massive revelation that necessitates a change to the rules).

If people don't like the rules, or feel they can't function within the bounds set by the rules, they are free to leave the project.

We're currently at 29 mappers, with some expressing interest at creating multiple maps. At this point, it seems like there is enough support to see this project through to completion, whether that be a 32 level megawad, some sort of hub map with an indeterminate number of levels, or something else.

I fell like the 150 knights in one room is the must rule, the whole joke relies on the idea of having a rather large amount of easy to dodge enemies in a single room. It's a cliche that most of us know, but that only makes the overreaction of the now legendary post so much funnier.

On 12/9/2017 at 9:10 PM, THMG said:

ACCEPTED:

• Scenery that the player cannot access (but which can have monsters and shootable switches in it)

This I imagine would include barred off scenery i.e. barred off windows. 

3 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

I fell like the 150 knights in one room is the must rule, the whole joke relies on the idea of having a rather large amount of easy to dodge enemies in a single room. It's a cliche that most of us know, but that only makes the overreaction of the now legendary post so much funnier.

I don't get what you're talking about. The OP states that the playable part map must be one continuous area, and the map has to contain 150 hell knights total.

That said, I may or may not consider making a map for this that contains 150 HKs, 1000 cybies, 2000 viles, 10000 imps and 5000 revenants, just to see how the Project leader is going to handle it.

Just now, Nine Inch Heels said:

I don't get what you're talking about. The OP states that the playable part map must be one continuous area, and the map has to contain 150 hell knights total.

That said, I may or may not consider making a map for this that contains 150 HKs, 1000 cybies, 2000 viles, 10000 imps and 5000 revenants, just to see how the Project leader is going to handle it.

...that's more monsters than nuts.wad. 
for that alone, by all means make that map.

4 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

...that's more monsters than nuts.wad. 
for that alone, by all means make that map.

I already made myself a practice map that has more stuff than nuts.wad, because nuts is for noobs. :p

9 hours ago, Pegleg said:

We're currently at 29 mappers, with some expressing interest at creating multiple maps. At this point, it seems like there is enough support to see this project through to completion

So long as the maintainer doesn't randomly disappear and leave us all hanging to compile it ourselves. We could be looking at another Gridlock situation.

One more thing: first post in thread must contain links to completed maps, or the messages of authors which contains links to maps (considering updates). Like another community projects. Or we can lost some maps between pile of messages.

8 hours ago, Nevander said:

So long as the maintainer doesn't randomly disappear and leave us all hanging to compile it ourselves. We could be looking at another Gridlock situation.

I think the conclusion from the Gridlock situation was that if the maintainer could not be reached after some reasonable amount of time, then someone else could take over the responsibility of compiling the project, in order to avoid having all the effort of the individual mappers go to waste.

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

One more thing: first post in thread must contain links to completed maps, or the messages of authors which contains links to maps (considering updates). Like another community projects. Or we can lost some maps between pile of messages.

And if it did come to pass that someone else had to compile it, having the maps linked to the first thread would make that process easier. And if @THMG doesn't disappear, then it makes THMG's job easier.

14 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Had @AgitatedSkeleton (the poster of the now-lost "Why do people make megawads?" post that spawned this CP--the picture at the top of this thread was just one of the responses) known this post would come, his rant might have read something like "... the only thing that changes is how big is the square room with the megasphere that spawns a few dozen hell knights and how many thousands of cyberdemons, archviles, imps, and revenants that square room contains."

And this project would've gone completely off the rails.

15 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Eh, did you misread something or did I just misread your comment? As I understood it, the continuous area refers to the +150 knight room, it doesn't necessarily need to be the only room of the map.

On 12/9/2017 at 9:10 PM, THMG said:

A Community Megawad, but each map is one *continuous room containing at least 150(One Hundred and Fifty) Hell Knights, and 1(One) Megasphere.

@94's the best style it's each map as one continuous area.

1 hour ago, 94's the best style said:

Eh, did you misread something or did I just misread your comment? As I understood it, the continuous area refers to the +150 knight room, it doesn't necessarily need to be the only room of the map.

1 hour ago, Major Arlene said:

@94's the best style it's each map as one continuous area.

As I understood it, the playable area had to be one continuous area. Non-accessible areas (monster closets, outside scenery, shootable switches behind bars, etc.) could be non-contiguous.

Per the OP, the following are allowed and don't have to part of "one continuous area":

• Scenery that the player cannot access (but which can have monsters and shootable switches in it)
  • Monster Closets
  • Setting monsters to ambush so all 150 hellknights aren't all set off as soon as the player fires a pistol shot
  • 3D spaces
  • Creating the illusion of one open space with portals and invisible teleporters is allowed.
  • Areas only accessible with lifts! In lieu of doors, these are the next best thing, so if you want to make keys part of your map, this is the way to go!

I've lost all motivation to do this. Sorry, folks, but it's just not fun for me anymore. I'm moving back to working on my smaller solo projects. Someone else can take over.

Well, I can't do a map for this one because I'm preoccupied with my WIP WAD. Take me off the list plz

14 minutes ago, THMG said:

I've lost all motivation to do this. Sorry, folks, but it's just not fun for me anymore. I'm moving back to working on my smaller solo projects. Someone else can take over.

We expect this. I understand, it can be very exhausting (especially holidays is soon). In the history of the forum things like this already has been, and someday they will be happened again:

Making a small solo projects is a good start. Myself, I started from small wads, reading reviews and later finished megawad on which I spend 2 years.

Some people can not make one map even for year, just lacking ideas, or lazy, or don't have free time (like some of DWMP2017 contributors). The others make great and huge content in few months. It is certainly a matter of motivation and ideas.

1 hour ago, THMG said:

Well that lasted long.

I have to apologize. I am unable to map for this project since I'm working on my own WAD...

I do hope this project sees its way through.

Edited by SGS Man

It sucks when projects get cancelled. I guess, I'll still finish my map after break and release that cyberspace map as solo map or incorporate it in other projects. 

7 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

It sucks when projects get cancelled. I guess, I'll still finish my map after break and release that cyberspace map as solo map or incorporate it in other projects. 

Yeah. For myself it's neat experience anyway.

There are many abandoned projects on Doomworld. I think someone can even create some compilation "unreleased maps" from different abandoned projects.

Several of the posts have alluded to how much it sucks when projects are cancelled and how Doomworld is full of community projects that were abandoned and how people will just take whatever maps they were working on and apply them to other projects or release them alone.

So, have we decided that (after 4 hours) that this project is over and dead? Yes, @THMG left the project, but wanted someone else to take the helm. There are others who are interested in seeing this project be completed.

Depending on what @THMG does, we have 26 or 27 mappers (since @NaZa and @SGS Man pulled out) and over 4 months (if we kept to the original deadline, which we wouldn't necessarily have to keep to). Even if others dropped out, that's still a fair amount of material. Pirate Doom and Suspended in Dusk have 18 and 4 levels, respectively, and are 26th and 22nd, respectively, on the Doomworld Community's Top WADs list.

Is there someone else or multiple someone elses that would volunteer to take over control of this project?

If I had the know-how I would absolutely do so. I really want this project to be seen to the end- I was looking very much forward to seeing how the community would react to the project, and as well as see what people would do with this.

5 days?  That has to be a record for fastest-abandoned-community-project!  

Doesn't mean the project has to die at all though.  There's motivation among the mappers, and that's all we need.  Actually compiling the maps at the end is the easy part.  Right now all we need is someone who is passionate enough to guide the ship at this point - help people stick to the guidelines.  That's all.  Any frankly anyone here could do that.

If you're halfway through working on a map, keep at it!  Everyone else is here doing the same.  We don't need 32 maps or anything like that: however many we end up with, that's how long the wad will be.  So keep plugging, this will still be a success!