Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THMG

4800 Hell Knights: A Community Megawad [IN NEED OF NEW LEADERSHIP]

I don't think we need a particular "leader". We have a set of clear rules to dictate what is okay and enough people involved to make group decisions about those rules so all we really need is someone who will be the map compiler (put it together into one big wad).

All there is to be done is finding someone to set up an OP with rules proper while keeping it up to date-ish, like Bauul said, and you're almost good to go. The actual problem is that the guidelines have been shifted constantly the past few days, and that shit has to stop like yesterday. That said, from my POV it's a good occasion to actually discuss how stuff should be done, and then move on to actually whipping up a new OP that explains things proper without being a total mess to read. Would also recommend that @THMG edits the title of this thread to point out that the project is looking for a lead at the moment, so that maybe someone who might be willing to step up actually can see what's going on.

@THMGIt sucks to cancel such a novel project. I should say that, if you need some time to reconsider, do it. Take your time to think and later, you'll show up with a proper resolution. As for a new leadership, I guess it's fine if you decide to pass the torch :)

Oh this is dead?Ehh,it spawned from a meme,that usually means that it's not gonna happen

38 minutes ago, Voltcom9 said:

Community projects like this can be really disappointing for all the mappers who have invested their time and effort to create maps for these projects when the project lead vanishes and the project sits in limbo.

To be fair, 5-6 days into a project there isn't that much that's gonna go to shits, but it's still kinda "meh" anyway. Really though, everybody who genuinely wants to make a map for this project should speak up about it, because if this project ends up getting disregarded because there's no lead, then the interest in actually making a map for it wasn't that big in the first place. It's not the "helm's" responsibility to keep people sticking to a project as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not quite sure what the current "distress" is all about,k all things considered. If this idea ends up being a set of 5 maps, and gets coordinated over a discord channel or whatever by a select few people, then it's still good enough.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I'm not quite sure what the current "distress" is all about,k all things considered.

I think it's an example where relatively new members of the forum jump at the idea of running a community wad, but haven't been about long enough to be prepared for all questions that'll come there way, and be ready with the answers.

For example, there was a lot of debate about what constitutes a "single playable space". A more experienced mapper might have a very firm idea and be able to articulate it. The OP probably wasn't expecting to need to justify his decisions, and probably felt overwhelmed being forced to stand up for something he hadn't realized he needed to put complete thought into in the first place. 

To be honest, I've seen this happen countless times. You can usually spot it in advance if the OP begins changing the requirements if the wad early on, as it's indicative that they weren't experienced enough to think it all through to begin with, or confident enough to stick to the vision. It's easy when you know what you're doing, but I totally get how it can go from a bit of fun to feeling stressful and overwhelming so quickly.

Really the only thing we need a leader for is to keep track of who has what slot. The rules are pretty well established at this point and most participants are already mapping in their desired spots. As long as we have a compiler for the mapset (which isn't that hard, I could do it if nobody else), I think we are probably just good to keep going.

*sigh*

Since I'm one of the original people who showed interest in the idea (and even posted the start of a map I was working on based on it in the original thread where it was brought up) I guess I could lead it. I mean surely it couldn't be too hard :/ Though I would need to do some more practice on compiling maps and textures and stuff into a wad but that shouldnt be that difficult to learn, I mean I already know how to put music and textures in without screwing up everything already so I'm most of the way there :)

Don't let this project die, if nobody else is brave enough, I will lead it. I have experience of working on collabrative projects from Metroid hacking community, and Doom mapping is actually much simpler than hacking those games, no need to keep up with items or anything, just the rules and compilation.

So now could please anyone who has the interest to lead this project challenge my position as the new leader, or will I be let to take that uncontested?

The only question I have is based on the OP post, will I make a new thread, or do we have some hacky way to keep the old thread?

9 minutes ago, 94's the best style said:

will I make a new thread, or do we have some hacky way to keep the old thread?

You'd think there'd be some way for admins to change the thread "creator" to someone else by swapping authors of the first post in the thread.

Just now, Nevander said:

You'd think there'd be some way for admins to change the thread "creator" to someone else by swapping authors of the first post in the thread.

If nothing else works, I'll just make a new thread, allow's us to start from a clean table. All of the map slots and stuff will stay, though I'll probably tweak the rules a bit to allow rooms other than the money shot.

There is even a special term for such a situation

From Wikipedia:
Development hell

Development hell or development limbo is media industry jargon for a project that remains in development (often moving between different crews, scripts, or studios) without progressing to completion. A film, video game, television program, screenplay, software application, concept, or idea stranded in development hell takes an especially long time to start production, or never does. Projects in development hell are not officially cancelled, but work on them slows or stops.

@therektafire @94's the best styleGiven you've both expressed interest in leading this, may I suggest you tag-team it? The project would benefit hugely from a renewed sense of purpose, and there's no reason it just has to be by one person.

It makes life substantially easier to have a backup, and having someone to discuss things with in private can be a godsend. It's likely you have complimenting skills too - you need both Doom modding knowledge but also Project Management and organizational skills, which between the two of you I think you have.

It doesn't matter who is the OP on the new thread is, but if you both have the motivation to see this through, it'll likely end up an even bigger success than before.

29 minutes ago, Bauul said:

@therektafire @94's the best styleGiven you've both expressed interest in leading this, may I suggest you tag-team it? The project would benefit hugely from a renewed sense of purpose, and there's no reason it just has to be by one person.

It makes life substantially easier to have a backup, and having someone to discuss things with in private can be a godsend. It's likely you have complimenting skills too - you need both Doom modding knowledge but also Project Management and organizational skills, which between the two of you I think you have.

It doesn't matter who is the OP on the new thread is, but if you both have the motivation to see this through, it'll likely end up an even bigger success than before.

That sounds good. I'm waiting for @therektafire's opinion.

well this smells rotten, but I do believe in this concept (the ideas are there), so i'm still going to produce one or two, maybe more maps for this project.

I would even try and lead this myself, even though i've never had any experience with community collabs, however i am basically going to be gone for 2-3 weeks.

but whoever does decide to takeover, i'd love to help however i can.

If it ends up cancelling, then they just become my personal maps i release later, but i'm going to finish these maps, OP be damned or not.

I am definitely willing to collab with @94's the best stylein leading the project (even though I disagree with him that 94 is the best style, 95 is since that is the year I was born :D). So, should we make a new thread or just use this one?

Just now, therektafire said:

I am definitely willing to collab with @94's the best stylein leading the project (even though I disagree with him that 94 is the best style, 95 is since that is the year I was born :D). So, should we make a new thread or just use this one?

A new thread would give us more control, and allow us to clarify rules and stuff easier.

OK so who wants to make the new thread? And do you think we should keep the same rules or make changes or what? I feel like a lot of people have probably been turned off from the project because of constant rule changes already so I personally wouldn't really want to do much besides possible clarification of what's already there...

If it were me in charge, I'd probably keep it at:

• Any format, but the target is likely gonna be GZDoom given the original OP, so UDMF is totally fine (at least, it better be, my map's using it!). You can still make a Boom-format map if you gotta.
  • A minimum of 150 Hell Knights. I'm leaning towards not having other enemy types present for my own maps, personally; I've never been terribly impressed with most Realm667 variants, either.
  • A minimum of one Megasphere.
  • Custom decorations are allowed.
  • The part of the level that the player can access must be one contiguous area; though I'm personally open to it being extended over time via monster closets or similar shenanigans, at no point must the player have to open a door to proceed to a separate room. (On the flipside, the monsters can access whatever.)
  • Probably just do some sort of DUMP-like hub map where you can pick the maps you want to play in any order. If we're targeting GZDoom, we'll have access to MAPINFO, so there's really no reason to stick to ye olde "32 maps, MAP07 is a Mancubus/Arachnotron gauntlet, secret exits are in MAP15/MAP31" format.

But I'm hardly the showrunner here, so.

20 minutes ago, therektafire said:

First of all, I'd PM @94's the best style and between the two of you agree on if there's anything you want to change about the project's scope, rules or definitions.  Once you're in agreement, one of you make a new thread, so you can control the top post (people often go there for project updates).  Call the thread something so it's obvious it's a continuation of this thread. For example "4800 Hell Knights: A Community Megawad [NEW THREAD]"

Re-list all the rules of the project, and the key dates.  Include a list of everyone in this thread who has expressed interest and tag them, so they'll all know there's a new thread.  Your job at that point is mostly to manage that OP (update it as new people come in, maps are submitted, and others drop out), answer questions people have in the thread, provide feedback on maps where you can, and generally keep people feeling enthused and that their work is contributing to something.  

Once the deadline passes, they'll be a lot of time needed to test and bug-fix the maps (trust me, there'll be bugs) and compile the eventual PK3, but that's down the line from now.

And if you have any questions about past practices or need any advice at all, feel free to hit up myself or any other member of the community: we're all here to help.  Good on you both for stepping up, and have fun managing your first Doom community project!