Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THMG

4800 Hell Knights: A Community Megawad [IN NEED OF NEW LEADERSHIP]

The thing I love most about Doomworld: someone starts a dumb meme, and someone else makes it into a wad.

11 hours ago, Empyre said:

There are 171 hell knights

Isn't 150 the max? Because if you had 171 and all other maps have 150, then the total for 32 maps is now 4821. Not sure what the rule was but just making sure.

Just now, Impie said:

The thing I love most about Doomworld: someone starts a dumb meme, and someone else makes it into a wad.

LOL.I wonder how many dumb ideas from my old stupid mod idea thread will become reality in the future :O

10 minutes ago, Impie said:

8 minutes ago, SOSU said:

LOL.I wonder how many dumb ideas from my old stupid mod idea thread will become reality in the future :O

When you start a thread ranting about the following things:

• All megawads are just giant rooms full of 150 (not as specific as 152, but still, a specific number) of hell knights
  • The entire Doom community just falls all over itself saying how fantastic this rehashed thing is
  • These rehashed unoriginal megawads just keep winning Cacowards

You're basically asking for someone to make a megawad like that. As I said earlier, I'm surprised it took as long as it did to get started.

And you'll get someone commenting on the inevitably of the coming cacoward for the megawad (see @Ancalagon's post on page 1).

Not saying any of this is a bad thing. Just saying all these things will come to pass when you start out ranting about community.

So, who wanna grab those 3 free slots.

27 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Isn't 150 the max? Because if you had 171 and all other maps have 150, then the total for 32 maps is now 4821. Not sure what the rule was but just making sure.

OP is updated.
REQUIREMENTS:

At least 150 Hell Knights.

So it can be 150 and more. Don't forget about one megasphere.

If nobody else comes along, I bet I could mod copy but not modify so this can still go on /idgames Dead Simple to fit all 150 hell knights to fill a spot.

Also, if they've permanently retired the Mockaward, we'd probably have to have 32 absolutely stellar maps to win a cacoward.

5 hours ago, riderr3 said:

So it can be 150 and more. Don't forget about one megasphere.

Well if we can have more than 150 Hell Knights when why not more than one Megasphere? I feel like the 150 rule should be the minimum and maximum since the project name is 4800 specifically... that's 150 per map times 32 maps.

1 minute ago, Nevander said:

Well if we can have more than 150 Hell Knights when why not more than one Megasphere? I feel like the 150 rule should be the minimum and maximum since the project name is 4800 specifically... that's 150 per map times 32 maps.

I agree, even though my map will be purely hell knight/baron oriented, that i believe is less important than the 150 hell knight rule

if nobody nabs those slots and a deadline is pushed back, i would love to take another map slot.

Here's version 2 of Hell Knight Tower.

I fixed the unintended voodoo doll, added a little bit more detailing, and added skill level support, with slightly more monster variety in easier levels than Ultra Violent, and with extra monsters in coop. I tried adding columns, but there was only one place where a column would not look completely stupid, the center, so I put one there.

I wrote up a proper txt file, which is included inside the wad as a WADINFO lump.

There is no new screenshot because they are ending up looking like black rectangles anyway.

I don't have a Dropbox, but the file is small enough to load right here in the forum, so here it is: hktower2.zip

The complete WADINFO is in the spoiler.

===========================================================================
Advanced engine needed  : UDMF used by ZDoom and its children
Primary purpose         : Single + coop play
Title                   : Hell Knight Tower
Filename                : hktower2.wad
Release date            : December 15, 2017
Author                  : Larry Collins (Empyre)
Email Address           : empyre65@gmail.com

Description             : A map for the 4800 Hell Knight project, which requires
                          each map to be one room with at least 150 hell knights

Additional Credits to   : All textures come from cc4-tex, but I doubled the sky
                          to make it twice as tall so you can look higher in GL
                          mode before you see the solid color.
                          The music comes from heroes2.wad with permission in
                          heroes2.txt.

* What is included *

New levels              : 1
Sounds                  : No
Music                   : Yes
Graphics                : Yes (textures and flats)
Dehacked/BEX Patch      : No
Demos                   : No
Other                   : MAPINFO, SWITCHES, WADINFO
Other files required    : None

* Play Information *

Game                    : Doom 2
Map #                   : MAP17
Single Player           : Designed for
Cooperative 2-4 Player  : Designed for
Deathmatch 2-4 Player   : No
Other game styles       : None
Difficulty Settings     : Yes

* Construction *

Base                    : New from scratch
Build Time              : quite a few hours during 4 days, my fastest map so far
Editor(s) used          : GZDoom Builder Bugfix, Slade 3
Known Bugs              : none known, but please tell me of any you find
May Not Run With...     : non-ZDoom-based ports, Odamex, ZDaemon

* Copyright / Permissions *

Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for modification or
reuse.  Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of
their resources modified or included in this file.

You MAY distribute this file, provided you include this text file, with no
modifications.  You may distribute this file in any electronic format (BBS,
Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file intact.  I have
received permission from the original authors of any modified or included
content in this file to allow further distribution.

1 hour ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

if nobody nabs those slots and a deadline is pushed back, i would love to take another map slot.

Yeah, mapper's block on my swamp map has me actually making the base for my "basically just dead simple but bigger" in case nobody comes to claim one of the slots, so if anyone wanted to get working on a base for a second map, feel free.

Theoretically, I could whip up a quick entrance map, and we could go as far over 32 as we please if we just us WAIT

How hard would it be for us to make a hub world? Like, the framework could be made by one person, and each mapper could make a little prefab of their map to put on the other side of a portal? Think basically how skulldash does it... surely the "different map exits" trick is doable in the doom2 iwad.

Edited by THMG

3 hours ago, THMG said:

Yeah, mapper's block on my swamp map has me actually making the base for my "basically just dead simple but bigger" in case nobody comes to claim one of the slots, so if anyone wanted to get working on a base for a second map, feel free.

Theoretically, I could whip up a quick entrance map, and we could go as far over 32 as we please if we just us WAIT

How hard would it be for us to make a hub world? Like, the framework could be made by one person, and each mapper could make a little prefab of their map to put on the other side of a portal? Think basically how skulldash does it... surely the "different map exits" trick is doable in the doom2 iwad.

I have literally no idea how to do that but I’m willing to try :P a hub would be cool, but maybe impractical for 32 maps? Maybe split the worlds up by a common theme or something and make sub-hubs in those. Like one would be dark themes, another would be tech themes, etc. 

7 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

I have literally no idea how to do that but I’m willing to try :P a hub would be cool, but maybe impractical for 32 maps? Maybe split the worlds up by a common theme or something and make sub-hubs in those. Like one would be dark themes, another would be tech themes, etc. 

I think that we could group the maps to episodes.

For example:

Episode 1: Feeling classy?

There was simply too much knights, they spilled over to other games!

Episode 2: Who turned the lights off?

Trough the damp caves and bases suffering from blackouts, the one thing you will learn is that those green projectiles don't light up things.

Episode 3: Mass transportation

Hell royals don't settle for simple teleports, board their hellish tanks and airships.

Episode 4: Bizzarro world

The knights were getting hungry, and our ideas ran out, so we hurrily grouped together the most unusual themes to a grabbag of pain. Only two things are certain: Megasphere and hell knights.

Beta! But playable and beatable (I hope so at least). I may do some major reworking and re balancing in the map later, but for now this is what I got!

Requirements: GZDoom 3.1 or higher

UDMF Format (May require strong computer)

300+ enemies

Knee deep in dead theme

Load map05

Music: E1M4 (Bobby prince)

Sky: Skulltag team/ID software

Screenies: (They take too much space to post)

Load up all the realm 667 monsters!

MAP05-D1-V.01.zip

5 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

For example:

Trough the damp caves and bases suffering from blackouts, the one thing you will learn is that those green projectiles don't light up things.

Hell royals don't settle for simple teleports, board their hellish tanks and airships.

The knights were getting hungry, and our ideas ran out, so we hurrily grouped together the most unusual themes to a grabbag of pain. Only two things are certain: Megasphere and hell knights.

i love this mod and i'm totally down for this, unsure of how but i'm totally down for this.

7 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

For example:

So, I like this. A lot. It's probably not that hard to set a line to trigger a script that sends you to a specific level.(Once again, think how skulldash does it.) We could easily go over 32 maps if we went this route, too. Now that some stuff in my life has cleared itself up, and I'm on my month-long break, I could probably get a 3rd map done to go with the swamp and not-dead simple. Maybe a toy theme or something.

Spoiler

bcc3M5M.jpg

After some initial blocking out and encounter prototyping it occurred to me that hell knights in open areas are very hard to make interesting/threatening. I'll probably be scrapping this version to think of a better shape for the "square room".

Started work on my map finally. Got the main area basically designed and a texture scheme picked out, which resulted in a tiny theme change.

Change mine from "Gothic/Quake courtyard" to "Quake/Plutonia/Techbase hybrid courtyard"

I'd like to work with this project, but I can't do this now so I'm afraid that every slot will be closed. Anyway, those screenshots and concepts I see here are awesome, lol. Even if I'll not contribute my map to this project by any reason, I'll definitely will play it after release.

26 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

I'd like to work with this project, but I can't do this now so I'm afraid that every slot will be closed. Anyway, those screenshots and concepts I see here are awesome, lol. Even if I'll not contribute my map to this project by any reason, I'll definitely will play it after release.

well it sounds like with an extended due date and the possibility of a hub, there is a chance there would be more than 32 maps (up to THMG). I'd say keep watching and check back in when you have the time

Could I please have:

Map: MAP22

Format: Boom

Theme: Plutonia

Edited by Sayok6

1 hour ago, DeXiaZ said:

I've realized since starting the project that only 2 months is a bit of a tall order... I've pushed the deadlines back... a bit. Feel free to take a slot if you want.

6 hours ago, THMG said:

Feel free to take a slot if you want.

i don't wanna be a muffin, but you should probably edit the OP to reflect the fact that there is only one slot left for that fellow as well as other potential newcomers :c

Well, if project aims to gzdoom compatibility, it's possible to open more slots and use mapinfo for them. 

Edited by Myst.Haruko

Yeah, besides, there's always the possibility that someone will drop out, so I would say that everyone who is interested, make a map. In fact, that just makes this whole thing funnier.

BTW, we need a new hud.

56 minutes ago, 94's the best style said:

Yeah, besides, there's always the possibility that someone will drop out, so I would say that everyone who is interested, make a map. In fact, that just makes this whole thing funnier.

Some authors can abandon project because of mapper's block (if you know what I am talking about).
Anyway opening slots more than 32 is good idea. We along with @bonnie probably Boom minority.

About my map, the only two things to do: adding items and testing map.