Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THMG

4800 Hell Knights: A Community Megawad [IN NEED OF NEW LEADERSHIP]

Mkay... the other project I'm working on is due at the end of January. :-\

Don't put me down for anything right now... I'll try to get something together when I'm ready, and hopefully there will still be a slot for me.

Do the hell knights have to be in like a boss battle, or can you disperse 150 hell knights throughout the map?  And just to be clear, you can have seperate rooms with no doors?  It has to be One giant open area?

22 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

What's the due date on this? I'm currently working on a map for another project and don't want to start this one until it's done...

Also, a limit of 200 monsters total seems kinda strict. There won't be much for "interesting" BFG gameplay.

Pump those Plasma gun Muscles baby, here we come going fully automatic!

4 hours ago, Ancalagon said:

This wad is definitely aiming to be a cacoward winner.

I must agree, its a strange however unique type of demand for level design with the perfect opportunity for "Easy to make" levels however "Difficult to master" For it to be done right and in a satisfying way.

46 minutes ago, AleksB said:

Do the hell knights have to be in like a boss battle, or can you disperse 150 hell knights throughout the map?  And just to be clear, you can have seperate rooms with no doors?  It has to be One giant open area?

All the requirements are in the OP, but the answer to all your questions is "yes."

1 minute ago, THMG said:

All the requirements are in the OP, but the answer to all your questions is "yes."

I know, I just wanted to be sure

I got the Icon of Sin to only spawn hell knights, so I'll do Map30

(I don't have a theme in mind yet.)

Ill try it out.  Ill do map 06.  GZDOOM 3.2.0, udmf and ill do a moon base or uac base theme

17 minutes ago, Spie812 said:

I got the Icon of Sin to only spawn hell knights, so I'll do Map30

(I don't have a theme in mind yet.)

I would think "Icon of Sin" would be theme enough.

Map02- Giger theme.

I'm going to have to completely rework my map with these requirements, however...

Here's what I have. The rooms look entirely the same, just get bigger with each teleport, minus the little opening hallway.

150hk2.PNG

How about a smaller room with walls that lower to make it a bigger room, which has walls that lower to make it an even bigger room?

28 minutes ago, Empyre said:

How about a smaller room with walls that lower to make it a bigger room, which has walls that lower to make it an even bigger room?

That could work. Just gotta figure out how to. Would walking over a certain linedef to trigger it make it work? I'm super new at mapping so I have very little idea what I'm doing >.<

Just now, Major Arlene said:

That could work. Just gotta figure out how to. Would walking over a certain linedef to trigger it make it work? I'm super new at mapping so I have very little idea what I'm doing >.<

You could use a walk-over trigger line or a switch, whichever fits the situation.

I was asking the question not only to you but also to YHMG because he might consider the lowering walls to be enough like doors to disqualify the map. Another question for THMG: Would it be allowed to have monsters teleporting in?

2 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

Map02- Giger theme.

I'm going to have to completely rework my map with these requirements, however...

Here's what I have. The rooms look entirely the same, just get bigger with each teleport, minus the little opening hallway.

150hk2.PNG

Not sure this will work, because....

14 hours ago, THMG said:

The area the player can access must be one continuous area.

Just now, 42PercentHealth said:

I was about to say the same thing. It look pretty cool tho

Yep. I'm going to rework it. I got a couple ideas from @Empyre that can hopefully be implemented without too much issue. Just need to figure out how to do my ambushes and if they're allowed.

1 minute ago, Major Arlene said:

Yep. I'm going to rework it. I got a couple ideas from @Empyre that can hopefully be implemented without too much issue. Just need to figure out how to do my ambushes and if they're allowed.

To my understanding, ambushes are allowed, just as long as the room is one continuous area

Also, are any opening hallways allowed? Spawning directly in a square room feels... very odd. There would be no other doors after that point.

1 minute ago, Major Arlene said:

Also, are any opening hallways allowed? Spawning directly in a square room feels... very odd. There would be no other doors after that point.

I don't know.... I play a lot of slaughtermaps, so spawning in a big open space doesn't feel weird to me. However, you could spawn the player in a small corridor that leads to the main room, and just skip the door. Maybe have the corridor curve or something, if you don't want it to be visible right away? Just a thought.

I don't know.... I play a lot of slaughtermaps, so spawning in a big open space doesn't feel weird to me. However, you could spawn the player in a small corridor that leads to the main room, and just skip the door. Maybe have the corridor curve or something, if you don't want it to be visible right away? Just a thought.

Good idea. Thanks.

I think this will stop being funny in a few days and the project will crash. Now prove me wrong, I challenge you.

7 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

BTW, since I missed this the first time, my map is in Doom in Hexen format.

Hey, it's kind of unrelated with this project, but you can join the joy of mapping discord server(if you didn't do that) and people will help you with all mapping issues. 

8 hours ago, THMG said:

I'd prefer to be able to release this in late January/ early February.

As for the 200 monster limit, I'm open to suggestions as to what it could be.

Imo, you shouldn't limit the monstercount in any way period. That aside, you also shouldn't limit people choice of themes in a "first come first serve" fashion, because it will drive potential mappers away if they can't use their preferred theme at all. Also the continuous area idea seems a bit of place, but maybe that's just me.

Also you should clarify what "main focus on hellknights" means, because the moment someone wants to also have cybies or viles in the map they're gonna need quite a few more cybies because of how fast HKS can kill them under certain cirumstances.

13 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Imo, you shouldn't limit the monstercount in any way period. That aside, you also shouldn't limit people choice of themes in a "first come first serve" fashion, because it will drive potential mappers away if they can't use their preferred theme at all. Also the continuous area idea seems a bit of place, but maybe that's just me.

Also you should clarify what "main focus on hellknights" means, because the moment someone wants to also have cybies or viles in the map they're gonna need quite a few more cybies because of how fast HKS can kill them under certain cirumstances.

The point of the project is to make a room with 150 hell knights in it, in response to somebody complaining about exactly that.

I agree with you about the themes. A compromise would be "No more than x maps of any single theme." with the exact number for x being chosen by the op, THMG (but not just 1). This would be less strict, but still encourage a variety of different themes.

Is there anyway we can stretch the continuous area a bit?  I like the idea of having no doors, but I was thinking of building rooms that lead into hallways which there will be weapon pickups and such and monsters, then that all leads into on main area where the rest of the hk's spawn.  The map is a linear kinda map and is always moving forward and then you will hit the "arena" room if you will

hell knight.jpg

Edited by AleksB

8 hours ago, THMG said:

I would think "Icon of Sin" would be theme enough.

Alright then, that works for me!