Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THMG

4800 Hell Knights: A Community Megawad [IN NEED OF NEW LEADERSHIP]

Ignore my shitty paint writing in paint, but this is how my map is going to look.  Alot of editing and detail needs to be added, but I wanted to show how I plan on making it look.  There are no doors, only two hallways that lead into the last area.  Im going to add a outdoor area around the last room to make it presentable and a lil more detailed. 

hell knight.jpg

@AleksB As long as its a continuous area, then by the OP it looks to be allowed.  It doesn't have to be a "room" in the real-world sense, just a single continuous space.

@THMG
Did you are really sure there are will be 32 participants? I'm doubt. If there will be less maps so "4800 hell knights" is not suitable title. Or allow authors make more than one map per person if there will be not enough maps.

Also some authors can just abandon their works. People are very impatient, they can not made even one map, not speaking about to create a whole map packs.

@AleksB I see your map layouts too symmetrical, like previous maps. This symmetry can be diluted. Anyway do what you like within the rules.

2 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

@AleksB I see your map layouts too symmetrical, like previous maps. This symmetry can be diluted..

Whats wrong with symmetrical mapping?  Its just a style that I like to use.  I dont use it all the time, but I think it will be a good fit for this.

Good... whatever the hell you would call right now, everyone! I've just woken up, and am extremely pleased with all the responses and enthusiasm!

Rest assured, I've got answers to all your questions, so let's go down the list, starting from the most recent.

@riderr3 I'm not sure of anything, but the goal is to get 32 participants, and I like to think that the concept of the project is simple enough that if an author abandons their work, someone else could step in to finish it, and I'm more than willing to do that if necessary.

@Pure Hellspawn I'd thought of that, but the way they said it made it seem like they wanted the IoS to spawn the monsters in waves, so I figured just scripting that would be simpler than trying to coax an actor into performing a very specific set of actions.

@AleksB What you're doing is fine.

@Empyre1. I understand what you're saying, and agree that only one map of any theme is kind of limiting. I'll think about changing various things.

2.Monsters teleporting in is absolutely okay.

@Nine Inch Heels Clarifying what I mean. Thank you for the input.

@Major Arlene 1.The lowering walls idea would be perfectly fine.

2. Opening hallways are allowed. Clarifying that in the OP.

@Memfis You don't have to pay attention to this project if you don't like it.

As for the new submissions, I've got

@muumi down for MAP11-Train

@Major Arlene down for MAP02-Giger -Doom in Hexen Format

@Big Ol Billy down for MAP12-Mayan Temple

@SGS Man down for MAP29-Industrial

@Voltcom9 down for MAP04- Wolf3D

Now, as for my own progress;

Spoiler

I'm doing a "open-pit mine" theme, with the ultimate goal being for the player to get out of the pit by heading up the tiers of the mine. I'm currently very early into developing it, with most of my time currently being spent on choosing how I want the player to move up the various levels.

As for textures, I looked around and noticed that the Joy of Mapping swamp textures had most, if not all of what I needed, so that's what I'm using.5a2d8c0e4ed50_MAP08(editarea)at2017_12.1001-43-38.081R2787.jpg.193b6640ee96d4cacc4d2bc3d85a9565.jpg5a2d8c11eba68_MAP08(editarea)at2017_12.1012-14-33.887R2787.jpg.6c77f9601252e0f41705dfbeac1453bc.jpg

11 minutes ago, THMG said:

Now, as for my own progress;

Hide contents

I'm doing a "open-pit mine" theme, with the ultimate goal being for the player to get out of the pit by heading up the tiers of the mine. I'm currently very early into developing it, with most of my time currently being spent on choosing how I want the player to move up the various levels.

As for textures, I looked around and noticed that the Joy of Mapping swamp textures had most, if not all of what I needed, so that's what I'm using.5a2d8c0e4ed50_MAP08(editarea)at2017_12.1001-43-38.081R2787.jpg.193b6640ee96d4cacc4d2bc3d85a9565.jpg5a2d8c11eba68_MAP08(editarea)at2017_12.1012-14-33.887R2787.jpg.6c77f9601252e0f41705dfbeac1453bc.jpg

Looks very neat.

13 minutes ago, AleksB said:

Whats wrong with symmetrical mapping?  Its just a style that I like to use.  I dont use it all the time, but I think it will be a good fit for this.

It's impossible to create unique and interesting encounters on purely symmetrical maps, because they do not allow the most efficient use of monsters, so your encounters and traps should influence the layout of the map from the start.
Try taking one half of that symmetrical room and reshaping the vertices to create something asymmetrical. Some of the best gamespaces I ever created were a result of just dragging vertices around. Never underestimate the power of splitting linedefs. 

Figure 1 : quick example of plain, symmetrical room design
Ac64i09l.png

Figure 2 : quick example of improved, asymmetrical room design
qzQyHael.png

Yea I do this already in alot of my maps.  I start with symetrical shapes them morph them into other shapes.  But for this map, I thing this semetrical layout works.  But I see what you are saying.  I like that layout btw

Sounds like a lot of fun. Put me down for map 14, I'm thinking of doing a big starship.

This may get a lot of hate which I totally get, but.... could I use Minecraft as a theme? I'd take the slot 31 so not everyone will see the disgrace :( (Zdoom in Hexen format)

@danielhday@Plusw@Bushpig2dope Added all 3 of you to the list. Always glad to have more mappers!

Also, @bonnie, please make sure your map has some kind of secret exit, as map15 is the one that traditionally has an exit to the secret levels in the doom 2 iwad.

1 minute ago, Percival232 said:

question: Cyberdemons allowed?

answer: the only requirement for monsters is that there's 150 hell knights.

I'll take map03, thank you.

I'll start with a few drafts and see where it takes me.

Theme will be specified later.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems an answer to most people's "does it have to be ONE BIG ROOM?" can be solved by maybe clever use of windows and "open" doors? im not sure but that's what i'm doing for my gondolas.

Screenshot_Doom_20171210_184353.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171210_184407.png

also a couple questions about monsters.

do the custom hell knight variants count as hell knights? or must it be 150 vanilla hell knights?

also if there's any leeway for adding custom monsters, can there be an slightly edited version of the accepted baron variants with a different attack or size/health/color for the sake of a "map boss"? or would this be allowed in more of a script driven sense?

38 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems an answer to most people's "does it have to be ONE BIG ROOM?" can be solved by maybe clever use of windows and "open" doors? im not sure but that's what i'm doing for my gondolas.

Screenshot_Doom_20171210_184353.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171210_184407.png

1. I'm very impressed with how this looks so far.

2. Is it going to be a series of gondolas on the bottom of the zeppelin?

@THMG

yeah, i figured it would be a series of different gondola lengths, maybe a invisible teleporter up to the top or not, and the end would be at the pilot gondola in the front.

also there will be bi-planes filled with hell knights flying alongside the zepplin

4 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

also a couple questions about monsters.

do the custom hell knight variants count as hell knights? or must it be 150 vanilla hell knights?

I assume that Hell Knights have to be normal Doom 2 Hell Knights to count.

4 minutes ago, TurrboAnklet said:

I assume that Hell Knights have to be normal Doom 2 Hell Knights to count.

Yeah, the 150 hell knights have to be the vanilla hell knights.

However, there's no longer a monster limit, and I'm putting together a collection of custom monsters (basically every baron bodytype monster on realm667) to link to in the OP. However, it's finals week for me, so I may take a day or two to put it together.

6 minutes ago, Spie812 said:

testing 123

rWjez8N.gif

(test box, obviously not final product)

Oh, I am liking this.

5 hours ago, THMG said:

answer: the only requirement for monsters is that there's 150 hell knights.

Well, ok but don't forget the ones you can't use (arachnotron, spider mastermind, etc.) We aren't sure if Cyberdemon should be excluded too.

What the hell, I have an idea for this one.

Don't really care about slot at the moment, but the theme'll be "Lights Out".

I was hoping this CP would eventually get made and was actually somewhat surprised it took as long as it did to get going.

I'd like to contribute a map. I don't have a theme yet, but I have an idea.

Also, I'll take map slot 16. If that's not available, Map 23 or 24.

I have an idea for a map. The slot doesn't matter, but I guess it shouldn't be 7, 15, 30, or 31. The theme is Tower.