Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anotak

Cacowards 2017 discussion (24 years)

This year I'm only played three megawads - TNT Revilution, 1994 tune up project and Moonblood. Cause I am slow at playing like snail -_-
Has to say Moonblood is pretty solid megawad even when one-man-made.
Also TNTR was very long-awaited project. I remember in 2014 where I posted in Devilution thread, begging about new demo, and as result thread are locked.

Despite the Doomworld community is relatively small, but also it is friendly and people helping and supporting each other.

49 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

*link to something interesting...?*

For whose did read this post, wouldn't be surprised... :|

Personally, I found lilith.pk3 was something special and looked interesting when I first saw it...but I just ruined the fun myself by opened it in SLADE3 and found most glitched sprites/artworks with plain maps inside the pk3...well, suddenly I feel nothing so special on it anymore...silly me.

But that's my own opinion, and I won't say it's shit or trash, just not my cup of tea. :p

Edited by Player Lin : I hate English grammar...

Congratulations to the winners. Glad to see Randi getting the recognition for ZDoom, some might call it defunct, but I like to think of it as having finally matured into a stable release.

To the runners up, you were contenders to at least some of us, and who can say which works will stand the test of time.

What a great list of mapset both in the winners and runner up categories. Congrats to the winners, and thank you to those who keep the cacoward tradition alive.

7 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Waaah

I don't understand how the lead programmer for an advanced/progressive port can be so regressive. I guess this is why boom format will always be better :(

Well congrats to all the Cacoward winners and whatnot.

In my opinion I felt that Pinchy deserved mapper of the year over Dobu gabu maru; this is due to his great contributions to the Eagle/Pigeon speedmapping projects, his helpful tutor work in the Joy of Mapping series, the Alfonzone release and his continued efforts to churn out as many good maps as possible (quantity and quality!) without any real lapse in quality, all whilst becoming an important member of the Doomworld community. (you don't get to be on BTSX E3 without good reason, right?)

That being said, Dobu gabu maru deserves recognition for his hard work also (running the Megawad Club can't be easy!) with his creative mapping skills and ridiculous Stanley Kubrick-esque attention to detail, so I don't begrudge him the mapper award. After all, he's the only mapper that makes FUN puzzles in Doom imo.

I fully expect Pinchy to win it next year though, barring someone else can match his work-rate.

(P.S. Also nice to see Oscillation getting a mention.)

While I think Graf Zahl is rather arrogant, and just not a nice guy in general to try to talk to, I cant help but wonder if hes not a little bit right.

While i'm not trying to say Lillith is a bad wad, because its not by any means, its really unique and original, which suits the spirit of the cacowards, but the fact is that a fair few people would agree there were wads that deserved the cacoward more.

for example, Disjunction should have recieved one. it was a complete work of art for a first time mapper, new, fresh, and still challenging. It had all the qualities OF Lillith, without all the glitches.

Honestly, Lillith should have recieved the mockaward. I have trouble understanding why it was retired when a wad came out this year that would suit it perfectly. Fact is, people look to the cacowards to find the best wads of the year, and right now if they look at Lillith and download it, I feel more are going to be surprised, and some may not be impressed with it.

But, dont get me wrong. Graf's comment was absolutely disgusting. he outright abused two authors and their projects, which just shows why he is such a generally bad person to be around. He ignores bug reports on his source port, is dismissive and sometimes just abusive to people who try to give him advice, and for him to call a wad mediocre and another one 'visual trash' shows why people think so little of him.

In any case, congratulations to all the winners, you all deserved it! And the runners up, its just as good as winning a caco, you still got acknowledged, your efforts have not been in vain.

(Sorry if this post went off topic, but this IS the cacowards 2017 discussion, and nothing in this post is unrelated to that. Please think about this if you wish to delete it for being negative or something.)

Just now, 40oz said:

This is a pretty sweet "fuck graf zahl" thread. Did you guys know today is doom's birthday? Jesus christ.

Whoa really? I had no idea =O Any good wads you can recommend?

Congratulations to the winners, specially for the well deserved espi award for randi

Here's to the 25 years of doom next year

You know, I had a feeling that Stardate 20X7 would be a winner. Ribbiks really knows how to make visually stunning maps!

Disjunction getting a runner-up seems fair. It had its good maps, but can be pretty frustrating at times (MAP08, for example).

21 minutes ago, 40oz said:

This is a pretty sweet "fuck graf zahl" thread. Did you guys know today is doom's birthday? Jesus christ.

Did you not see people calling out graf for being a total dick to the mappers who earned their cacowards earlier in the thread?

18 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

While i'm not trying to say Lillith is a bad wad, because its not by any means, its really unique and original, which suits the spirit of the cacowards, but the fact is that a fair few people would agree there were wads that deserved the cacoward more.

for example, Disjunction should have recieved one. it was a complete work of art for a first time mapper, new, fresh, and still challenging. It had all the qualities OF Lillith, without all the glitches.

Everybody has their favourite stuff they want to see get an award, but that's beside the point when people go all toxic because they simply lack the capacity to comprehend something, which brings me to lilith:

The whole concept of lilith is being glitchy. That's what it was made for. That's why it even has a glichy soundtrack, that's why it's a masterpiece of mapping, regardless of what Graf Zahl thinks. You can't build something like lilith if you don't know exactly what the fuck you're doing, because it requires the most in-depth knowledge of the targeted source port you can possibly imagine. That in and off itself is more than a good enough reason to have it included in the top ten, not to mention that lilith does not randomly glitch all over the place, every glitch in it actually is deliberate and thought through, which sets it lightyears apart from the coments some folks around here make because much butthurt.

19 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

Any good wads you can recommend?

Try and play some award winners, runner ups, or whatever gets mentioned in the cacowards sidebar.

22 minutes ago, Cyberdemon531 said:

blah blah blah the only speedruns that matter are zero-master's blah blah blah :^)

This year is Zero-master year, but I feel you've got a point. Maxruns are usually not something people seem to care about all that much, at least people who don't do demos I mean.

1 minute ago, Breezeep said:

Did you not see people calling out graf for being a total dick to the mappers who earned their cacowards earlier in the thread?

They wouldn't have, because he deleted his post. or it was deleted.

@Nine Inch Heels I agree with you completely about Lillith. I think it deserved a cacoward, but I feel it would have deserved a mockaward better, thats all. Its a fantastic wad in its own right, but it is designed to take advantage of Doom glitches, which is mocking the engine in a way. Just my opinion.

I just hate how everyone is scared of upsetting Graf in fear that he'll stop developing gzdoom if his ego gets a bit bruised.

Oh jeez, I got a little mention for Idle Doom? Neat, but I'm not sure if I should be sad or proud.

It was just a "lolololol let's make this silly thing happen in a weekend" and it just blew up. Articles in mainstream media, let's plays and so on. Feels a bit meh to be in the limelight because of a one-off joke.

Still, I guess sometimes you can get successful with 99% inspiration and 1% perspiration.

Thanks, everyone. I love you too. <3

Now, back to work. pillars.wad won't make itself. Good to know its main inspiration, dobu, got the mapper of the year award, I'm drinking his kool-aid straight from the tap for this.

I wonder if there would be less or more drama if there wasn't a fixed number of cacowards to give per year and it was decided depending on circumstances.

Congrats to all the winners, and thanks to the Cacoward committee for another great effort.

I've only played 2 of the winners so far... I've got some catching up to do.

Thank you all for understanding, at least on some level, that all tastes are subjective and there's always going to be some slight variance in how an awards ceremony turns out. We are as sad as the rest of you about Moonblood, Simon's Destiny, Altitude, Templum Dormiens Dei, Oscillation, and the various other great wads that didn't quite make it. Cutting several dozen fun wads down to a reasonable number is hard, tragic work, but we hope you appreciate that the "reasonable number" was larger this year than it has ever been before.

I don't want to harp on it too much, but I would like to take a moment to congratulate all the Cacoward winners who successfully anticipated two completely new judges and catered to our known tastes.

The Castlevania project was neat... but it's not particularly fun to play. Looking up at candles on the walls while simultaneously jumping and trying to whip them is really dull. The Doom engine isn't well equipped to handle melee combat. Trust me, I know.