Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anotak

Cacowards 2017 discussion (24 years)

If lilith were to get a different award category (and I seriously don't think it should), machaward is without question where it'd go. But I feel it deserves a normal award, since its a full on serious project with a unique glitchy aesthetic.

ed: fuck that makes it sound like the current machaward winner isn't deserving of a normal award. fuck, that's not what I mean.

Edited by InsanityBringer

I'm mildly disappointed that Rise of the Wool Ball didn't get it's own Cacoward, but at least it did get a mention.

I think the new categories are cool, but am kind of sad to see the death of the Mockaward.

Delete everything from a copy of Map15 except for the Things and then create a new map around those existing Things. The map must be designed for Vavoom. The prize is your freedom.

Deadline is January 21st 2018.

I like the idea, who exactly offered this?

Yeah the "I'm Still Bored" thing is surprisingly normal this year and seems like it would be actually achieveable, heh.

I kind of hope someone actually does it, since it could maybe result in some neat maps. If not, I'm sure there will be a "use the things from an IWAD map to make an entirely new map" community project within a few weeks.

3 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Yeah the "I'm Still Bored" thing is surprisingly normal this year and seems like it would be actually achieveable, heh.

Except for the part where Vavoom has the stability of an elephant on a tightrope.

14 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

I like the idea, who exactly offered this?

That is not a project that is currently running as far as I know. It came up some time ago on a discord channel and I find it to be rather interesting as well.

24 minutes ago, InsanityBringer said:

I'm sure there will be a "use the things from an IWAD map to make an entirely new map" community project within a few weeks.

I have been wishing for such a community project for years actually (all maps use the same set of Things).

16 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

That is not a project that is currently running as far as I know

That would be even crazier if more people will do this. Different maps with the same items...as one 32-level Megawad

1 hour ago, Spie812 said:

I'm mildly disappointed that Rise of the Wool Ball didn't get it's own Cacoward, but at least it did get a mention.

I love Rise of the Wool-Ball to death, and the fact that it wasn't top 10 was my biggest personal sadness as a Caco writer, though I stand by all the selections. For what it's worth, we considered it to be top 10 for a long time and it came pretty close to nosing out Stardate, of all things, which should tell you everything you need to know about what a tough year this was.

I don't think getting runner-up is really a loss this year (if it ever was). There was tons of absolutely stellar stuff.

I'm with @WH-Wilou84 in thinking @lutz deserved more than runner-up status. His body of work this year is IMHO no less fantastic than Viggles and his stunning Brigandine map or Mechadon's Counterattack (both of which did indeed deserve an award!).

For next year's milestone there should be some lifetime achievement awards and I'd also argue there's a place for more specialized categories: Best architecture, best new music, best new (original) art, etc. As with film awards, where Best Picture is always the most coveted one, the regular top 10 will remain the crown jewel. But the current format I think fails to adequately recognize some of the amazing work and achievements out there.

There's a certain beauty to the simplicity of "10 best projects" and "10 good runner-ups." There's already a new code award, an expanded gameplay and multiplayer set of award, the Espi, Machaward, and the sidebar items like "promising newcomer." I think the awards lose something if it expands to encompass a dozen other things as well because "this is also deserving." There will never be an expanded number great enough to make everyone happy because something will always lose.

This years Cacowards were iffy like always so i don't have problem with it.It was genuinly surprising to see stuff like lilith.pk3 up there since i found it pretty average more than anything else.Also Serious Sidhe was not on it?Wow what a dick move .V.

50 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

25 Years of Doom

I wonder if at some point we get a Google Doodle for Doom.

2 minutes ago, NuMetalManiak said:

I wonder if at some point we get a Google Doodle for Doom.

Seriously a good idea. I will lobby for this...

I think Cacowards are a great way for not-so-active Doomers to find out new maps to try. Doesn't mean they are all great just like it is with other lists in other art forms. You love some, you hate some and some give you no feelings at all. I usually agree on ~20% of the WADs listed in Cacowards and I'm used to it. Only way to get a better match for your particular taste is to use some kind of a recommender system. That's the same method Amazon uses to recommend you products you might like based on other users who have similar taste as you. I wish the new review system here at Doomworld will get a feature like that some day.

Kudos to all the winners and here's to the next new Doom year! Time to play through E1 once again!

Also, kudos to the guy who makes the graphics for the Cacowards. I always looked forward to seeing them. Who makes them?

13 hours ago, Memfis said:

What are your thoughts on the length of Cacowards? I remember the times when the texts were much shorter and could be easily read during breakfast. But this year I saw so many words that I found myself just skimming through everything to be honest. Reading about the Espi award alone made me feel tired. I'm a modern man, I can't read paragraphs after paragraphs.

I'd read a Cacowards that is novel-length if Demon of the Well the committee were so inclined.