Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anotak

Cacowards 2017 discussion (24 years)

Pretty excited to see a wad I contributed to with some assets (Idle Doom) mentioned on the Cacoawards. This gives me some encouragement to resume work on my Nova III map.

48 minutes ago, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

I always assumed it was Scuba Steve

The illustration was done by an artist Tudor Golu who went by the oh-so-quaint moniker, 'Metalpiss.' As done in 2015, I would have requested his permission to use his artwork, but he died two years ago and there was no one to contact about using his work. I did the title and banner layout, but I can't take credit for Tudor's work.

1 hour ago, Scuba Steve said:

The illustration was done by an artist Tudor Golu who went by the oh-so-quaint moniker, 'Metalpiss.' As done in 2015, I would have requested his permission to use his artwork, but he died two years ago and there was no one to contact about using his work. I did the title and banner layout, but I can't take credit for Tudor's work.

Oh damn, that's a shame about Tudor Golu. R.I.P. Mr. Golu. 

Also, to reiterate, I was actually asking about the banners and titles lol. Those are always fun to look at. However, that info about the illustration is real neat. Ya learn something new every day.

I, for one, am delighted that OBLIGE got some well-deserved recognition. 

Congratulations to all the cacowards winners & Happy 24th Birthday Doom!

Also RIP Mockaward, you shall be missed :(

3 hours ago, PI_9000 said:

(sentence)

I can totally see why you directly called me an idiot for no reason last time. Nice.

HB Doom, silver anniversary next year! Congrats to all winners, I'm sure they're all very well-deserved. Now there's a chunk of wads I've yet to play as usual!

8 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

I can totally see why you directly called me an idiot for no reason last time. Nice.

what does that even mean?

Thank you all for remembering moonblood :) Although I haven't played all the stuff this year (and probably won't due to time constraints), I kinda understand why it haven't got into the list, since there's lots of rough edges that would've needed some more attention (and there's also the very high amount of competitors, which certainly deserve the praise they got). I'm already impressed with how much people have been playing it, though, which is much more than any of my previous efforts.

Regardless, I'm also surprised with the amount of stuff that was done this year, which shows how much the community is alive and delivering really awesome projects! Congratz to all of us :D

Big up to everyone who contributed this year! Looks like it was another great year for the game, and the award. Haven't had the time to dive in so deep myself lately - its getting more remote - but its awesome just to browse the winners, read the write-ups, check out playthroughs, screenshots and make mental notes of what to definetely try and check out down the road. I'm continually impressed by you guys, this thing has gotten so unbelievably far beyond where it started, yet still remains the same where it matters. Can't believe my shitty textures are still being used here and there! xD Everyone go pester Ola (ukiro) about access to his new texture set, it kicks ass!

On 10/12/2017 at 11:58 AM, Memfis said:

Who is Gaspe?

I'm wondering the same thing and...

On 10/12/2017 at 0:53 PM, Alfonzo said:

This can't be the area of most concern for you, this year, surely. You're better than that, Kuchitsu. Step it up!

gaspe's name is capitalized in the LoH text file. I guess that was reason enough for me to avoid starting new sentences more awkwardly.

... it looks like maybe we have something but I feel we are still far from the truth...

But seriously I don't know what else to say other than thank you so much for the award and to those who supported LoH for it, I wasn't really expecting it.

23 hours ago, Linguica said:

Some of you people are unbelievable. We publish our yearly celebration of some of the greatest Doom content and the thread about it almost instantly devolves into name calling and sniping at each other. I'm sure the winners are just thrilled to be overshadowed by that, and I assure you it really helps the Cacoward team's morale from year to year to see this sort of knee-jerk response.

I wouldn't consider this as negative as this. I mean, without any doubt all the winners have a reason for winning the Cacowards this year, the reviews explain very well why one or another project was chosen. Considering that some people are disappointed or even jealous just describes what status the Cacoward has: Everyone wants one :)

Still, I really don't get it why Blade of Agony Chapter 2 hasn't been mentioned. It's not that I am angry or pissed, it's just that we discussed a lot in the team before the Cacowards and anyone was really hoping for an award, considering that it is definitely better and expands on Chapter 1. Wasn't it good enough or is it simply not considered as an "new wad" because it's a "Chapter 2" instead of something totally new? Just curious, I am not expecting to get a late Caco :)

Wow, I haven't played any of these other than SD20x7.

No mention of Endpoint or Inquisitor 3 makes me a sad panda.

I think the takeaway here is that people have different opinions on what constitutes a great WAD. Clearly, Graf's opinion on what makes a great Doom WAD is different than the people who judged the Cacowards. Not everyone's going to be satisfied with the choices, no matter what someone's going to be thinking "Why didn't you include this? It's so much better" because you can't please everyone and there isn't anything that everyone can uniformly agree is worthy of greatness. There are even people on the planet who think Doom is a terrible game, or just a game that doesn't suit their particular tastes.

9 minutes ago, NaturalTvventy said:

I’m wondering why old idgames links are used instead of the new downloads. Is it because the downloads are still in a beta phase?

Yes. When I finally fix all that stuff they will use the old style URLs.

1 hour ago, Tormentor667 said:

Still, I really don't get it why Blade of Agony Chapter 2 hasn't been mentioned. It's not that I am angry or pissed, it's just that we discussed a lot in the team before the Cacowards and anyone was really hoping for an award, considering that it is definitely better and expands on Chapter 1. Wasn't it good enough or is it simply not considered as an "new wad" because it's a "Chapter 2" instead of something totally new? Just curious, I am not expecting to get a late Caco :)

There were a lot of contestants, the runners-up reached an all-time-high, and WD:BOA already got a Caco last year.

1 hour ago, Tormentor667 said:

Wasn't it good enough or is it simply not considered as an "new wad" because it's a "Chapter 2" instead of something totally new? Just curious, I am not expecting to get a late Caco :)

About six of A, half a dozen of B.

Blade of Agony is one singular project, and it already got an award. There's really no need to award one single project multiple awards for all of its chapters.
Likewise, there was a huge amount of competition for the top-ten. You'll notice that there's more runner-ups than previous years. We almost had an even 10th, too!

But even with that, we gave it an honest shot Just In Case, and...nearly unanimously did not enjoy it.

Not picking faults with the reasoning, but individual episodes of BTSX won in 2012 and 2014 respectively, and Return to Hadron almost did it this year with a runner-up following a win for the first episode in 2015. They are single projects even if they're split into multiple WADs, so what makes them different? Just strikes me as a bit odd.

The BTSX episodes / Return to Hadron episodes are separate projects in separate files. They're independent releases that stand by themselves.

The Blade of Agony episodes are compiled into one bigger project. Likewise, something like Adventures of Square wouldn't get any sort of award with any subsequent episode releases.

Simple as that, really.

But, again, that was only one part of the reason. So even if you disagree with that, which is fine, the more important reason is that the majority of us very much did not enjoy playing it.

Should each 32in24 release considered part of the same project? Should the Community Chests?

15 minutes ago, Gez said:

Should each 32in24 release considered part of the same project? Should the Community Chests?

19 minutes ago, TerminusEst13 said:

But, again, that was only one part of the reason. So even if you disagree with that, which is fine, the more important reason is that the majority of us very much did not enjoy playing it.

True, imagine if Brutal Doom kept getting nominated for an award year after year simply because it got new versions. That v2.1 brought many enhancements but I doubt people would feel good if it got an award simply for that. Episode 2 is still part of Blade of Agony.

Like them or not, you can't deny that the Cacowards does highlight everything the Doom community has to offer. Not just Doomworld but even outside of it. In a way, things that weren't nominated get talked about anyway and people still get to discover new creations not covered by the Cacowards. It opens up a discussion - a very passionate discussion, at that - about a 20+ year old game that we all love, that still stands on its own, and is the gift that keeps on giving in terms of content. I can't think of any games off the top of my head (at the moment) that have so much to offer to its fan base, regardless if you're a consumer of the content (like myself) or a creator or even both!

Especially considering the horseshit a lot a modern games are pulling off these days, it's nice and refreshing to see that there's still a community dedicated to a game created in the early 90's that stands strong on its own in terms of gameplay and content, a community that (in my opinion) loves what they do as much as they love the game that inspired them to create for it.

So happy birthday Doom. You deserve this celebration. Again, how many games can boast about having a community that has lasted as long as this and has contributed as much content as Doom has? :D